Gsp Sleep Indoors Or Outdoors

~Sasha~

We have just bought a GSP. She hasn't arrived home yet because she is too young. I am concerned because of the previous post about barking.

Is it better that the GSP be kept indoors with the family or outdoors. I assumed because they are a bigger dog that outside is better.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sash :cheers:

Many people let their dogs sleep outdoors, and in certain circumstances that is fine.

My dogs all sleep indoors though (and I have 6 here at the moment) for three reasons:

1. Canberra winters are very cold, and in my opinion too cold for the dogs to sleep outside (although mine sleep inside all year round :D )

2. If they are inside they don't run around barking all night ;)

3. Because dogs are pack animals and they love comapny. They like to sleep inside with their family.

Note that they don't have to sleep in your bed or even in your room though. I have a greyhound and a mastiff x who sleep on my couches (I gave up and bought couch covers) a staffy x who sleeps with my son, and 3 fosters who all sleep in the laundry. My dogs all used to sleep in the laundry before I started fostering, but now they won't all fit :rofl:

Daisy2002 has made some good points....

GSP's can be trained to sleep outdoors if done from a young age, but they really are a breed that loves their 'humans' and do a lot better when allowed to live the pack that they love so much.

Mine sleep in a spare room as I don't want them in my bedroom - I found they got too cold in the laundry and whined during the night.

Has the breeder didn't you any advice in regards to sleeping arrangements? Ie, what is the pup used to?

Thanks for the advice. Yes the breeder did say to make a choice. He said if we want to keep the pup outside we have to do straight away so the pup thinks its normal. The pup is used to sleeping in a shed in the yard. My husband prefers the pup outside in case we are out for the night. My son would love her to sleep in his room. I would rather her inside but put her out when we are away for an evening.

She will normally be with me almost all day because I am a stay at home mum.

Edited by ~Sasha~

Personally for me - I always let puppies sleep inside for alot of reasons.

I have found that a few of my dogs as they grew up actaully preferd to sleep outside and would ask to go out and so I let them.

As for worring about going to toilet if you are out - you can always chose an area for her to stay in whilst you are out, block it off and set up some kitty litter or newspaper to cover it just incase she has an accident.

My dogs have always slept inside because that's just the way we do it but a few years ago I got a real fright and would never have them outside now.

In a suburb not too far from here there was some guy who crept into someone's house and sexually assaulted two little girls in their beds. Their parents door was open and they slept right through it. He always carried a candle and had been into a few houses but luckily was caught when, I think, he was about to assault someone else.

About two months before this our old dog had died and I felt so vulnerable. For the first time in my life I locked everything before going to bed and even then I didn't feel safe.

Now I've got the 2 dogs here and feel perfectly safe again. They wouldn't hurt anyone but they would make plenty of noise. Todd, in particular, patrols the house at night and checks each of the bedrooms to see who is where.

2tollers thats awful.

We had a dog that passed away last year. We were all devastated. He would sleep on my sons bed and I agree I felt that they were safe even though he was a smallish dog.

I think I prablay would keep her inside. Probably make the final descision when she comes home. I will probably worry about her outside. All the pets I have had all my life except for horses have been inside.

Hey my sisters horse came through our front door more than once to try to get his feed which was out the back.

Your pup will feel secure with you when it's little and when it's big it will pay you back by protecting you. Good luck

ooooooooohhh its such a hard decision. i think there are many pros and cons...contrary to popular belief, you can start them inside in a crate or similar for the first few days or weeks and then progress to outside in a kennel.

Perhaps get her used to staying in her spot once she gets a bit older, so your house doesnt end up doggified like mine and everyone elses here lol.......

Hi Rugerfly.

My husband has decided to put her outside when she comes. I hope it works out well.

How long have you had GSP's?

Do you like your Dyson because of heaps of dog hair? We havn't got ours home yet so I don't know how much hair to expect.

GSP's have dark hair to shed on the light stuff and light hair to shed on the dark stuff :thumbsup:

A Dyson is a great investment, but I wouldn't say a GSP moults any more than any other smooth coated breed.

Can't wait for pics of your new baby!

My dogs have always slept on my bed (Dobes & GSP's).....GSP's love being around you, in fact they love touching you, in fact they can never seem to get enough of you - I think you might have problems if the pup spends time inside with you during the day and in the evenings and then has to go out at night to sleep - mine have always seen being away from me as being undesirable..........

I love the idea of my pup always inside. Thats why I want a dog to have a constant companion. I'll have to make a bed with my husband to see if she ends up indoors at night or outdoors. I know I will win :cry:

It funny about the dyson :( I saw the pic on the signature. Thought must be really important. I don't plan on getting one. Not into vacuuming enough. Tthats why I ripped up the carpets.

My Vizslas sleep inside but have comfy kennels with flap doors if we have to be out at night, which they go into until we come home.

I once sold a Vizsla puppy to a family (recommended by the owner of the sire) who said they would be keeping the dog outside. Their previous dog had been outside, although very well looked after. Anyway the dog ended up sleeping on the bed. Hard to deny Vizsla appeal and a GSP is very alike in that respect.