He's Arrived

Herding guy:

Yank is now home with Lablover and quite comfortable sharing the couch with the other Labs......!

Cheers

Wow, that month went fast - must type faster :D:)

Thanks so much for Yank's welcome HG. I did observe other dogs in quarantine. I felt so sorry for some nervous types.

It is a lot of fun, to train a dog who loves to work.

Here is a photo I just took. Naughty boy.

He had been chasing a fly this morning, which he caught after jumping up on the dining room table. Obviously he thinks this is a great spot to have a rest.

Good boy "staying" while I ran for camera.

2696.jpg

Hi Lab Lover

He's a fine looking Lab

It's not very often I see a lab that is in good nick without having toooo much weight on him/her.

Can you tell me why so many labs are over weight

Wendy

post-6277-1147925676_thumb.jpg

Can you tell me why so many labs are over weight

Wendy

As I personally need to drop a pound or ten, I cringe replying to your question Wendy.

We are what we eat!!!!. Exercise plays a large part too.

There is a saying that labradors need to be dead for at least a fortnight, before they realise they cannot eat.

It is a lot of fun, to train a dog who loves to work.

Not wrong there.....but sometimes...............?

They can display unwanted behaviour?

Lucky working labradors can be kept in the burbs. Some working bred kelpie's become terribly frustrated in such an environment. My sister in law has such a kelpie, and I feel sorry for the animal. It is walked twice a day, but unfortunately bad habits have been allowed to develop.

"Can you tell me why so many labs are over weight"

I am in the same space,(over weight) being "just" a few pounds over, but

1) The pictures in ther breed standards and books show labs that are well over weight. I don't reckon that you would go too far in showing with a dog in working condition.

2) Every lab you see is over weight so you reckon that is normal.

3) Vets are a bit too kind. We got our lab down when a Vet told us we were killing him. When we got his weight down we had so many benefits we were dam careful ever since.

4) Labs smell food and get fat. Our little mini poodle eats as much as our old lab, and we are fighting to lose a bit more of him

If you had a look at my labs pedigree, you would reckon he was a working dog, and he carries on like one. He needed lots of work, lots of exercise, and lots of stimulation. Dam good dog though. Not a family dog. Some funny things.. maybe you would cut a "normal" dog's training session short if he/she did something exceptional not this one. Wanted to go for ever and ever and ever and ever.

do you ever go to comps in NSW Lablover? Would love to see your dogs in action!

I have competed in NSW, twice. I will do so again, but in reality, the long drive does not appeal to me. The Victorian trials are, in my humble opinion, the most difficult nowadays and the number of competitors and dogs a healthy number.

SARDOG,

Had to laugh and thought about you guys today, after your opinion last week. Two more experts in working labradors visited and tested Yank today. Rock solid nerves and very impressed. I was so proud. :laugh::rofl:

Thanks Rexy,

I think he is hot too, even when I take my rose coloured glasses off, LOL.

I shake my head in wonder, every time we train. He makes me very happy and more importantly it makes him happy.