Lucinda And Oscar

Lucinda is terrific.....very active and tearing about the place. She really loves the colder weather and loves the new foster Angel. Plays with her etc. great to see.

Margali is still barkless....a sad state for a maremma whose reputation for barking is huge. Apart from the barklessness she seems fine.

Oscar is still alive..have a call into Sue at All Natural Vet for advice on Oscars first meal of the day which i feel is quite important for getting that colon to do its work.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well still no poop! Time is starting to run out for Oscar. Panic is well set in for me. Have been feeding Oscar small meals, rice congee, with chicken, punpkin and oils added. If anyone else has any ideas at all..please let me know.

margali is still barkless..and a barkless livestock guardian dog is like apple pie without icecream.

Lucinda is LOVING life at the moment

WE HAVE POOP!!!!!

:D :D :clap::laugh::):) :D :):clap::clap::cheer::cheer:

You really know a person is a true dinkey seasoned dog person when they show an avid interest and excitement in dog poo. :rofl:

And, of course, I guess that stands for those who share in that excitement too! :laugh: Great stuff Oscar! Congratulations on a good s#@t!

Edited by Erny

• 2 weeks later...

all is well. poop watch can be time consuming LOL.

Last Thrusday oscar and i went to a local holistic vet ( recommended by barbara) and he had some prseeure point releases and reiki. He loved the reiki as almost fell asleep. by the time an hour was up he looked a lot more comfortable.

Lucinda is being very picky so at the moment i am happy just feeding her and letting her eat whatever she wants.cant even get meds into her. BUT she is in good form even with her medial ligament playing up. Bless her as tatty as she looks in herself she is doing well.

Have also had visitors: Zoiboy popped in for a week with Chino and Abruzzo. God i love those two. and the Z person as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week was a struggle and Oscar has slowly declined. Off to holistic vet on Thrusday morning and she was really concerned about him and even had a long talk with me about helping him to the bridge, which could be sooner than we thought.

Thrusday evening he could/would not get up and after trying everything for as long as I dared with night coming on, I finally called a good friend of mine to come help me get Oscar into the car. I was going to take him up to the pens for the night and see how he was in the morning.

Now keep in mind that he had not been able or willing to get to his feet for a couple of hours...as soon as he saw Donna and teh car, he started barking furiously, then got to his feet, shiffled along the fence line and then down the steep gully wall, across the bottom and up the other side to go sit beside the gate to his goats paddock..so I gathered that it was not time yet.

Friday saw a frantic gathering fo homeopathic and holistic meds from all over and again my dear friend was wonderful...went and collected some from gatton etc. It meant I could keep and eye on oscar. Who was having great difficulty moving, his back legs were weak and his front leg was shaking.

By 2pm all the meds were here so up to back paddock..and I gave him the first of the homeopathic drops ( which are indicated for pain on movement). They needed to be given 3 drops hourly until effect. Spent some time with him, then when I returned for the second lot of drops..he got up to greet me. The third lot of drops saw him get to his feet and walk steadily across the paddock. yesterday midday he trotted for about 20 metres down the paddock.

So as desperate as things are, he is still here, eating his three meals a day like a horse and today seems good ...so another " Not Today"

Lucinda on the other hand is disgustingly well..she leaps out of the pen gate each morning like a greyhound from the box.....she is having a ball.

Cheers

Helen

Gosh Helen, I don't know how you do it with two beloved pooches ill...

So glad to hear Miss Lucinda is so well (makes the heart sing)...

Hoping and praying that Oscar has more 'NOT TODAYS'...

Give them both a big kiss and hug from Ollie and I..

Jodie

Helen ..... what a trying time! But what a fantastic result with the holistic care you're providing. :offtopic: And good for Oscar - he's really putting in the effort with you, isn't he? Like Jodie, I hope you and Oscar get to enjoy many more "Not Today's", and hopefully without the turmoil that day obviously would have caused to your emotions.

Glad to hear Lucinda is doing well. Good for her. That in itself must be a tremendous support and help to you.

Sending you and your furkids warm wishes for health and happy days. Stay strong. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

It has been almost a fortnight since you have given us news on Oscar and Lucinda although at last news the later was so disgustingly well that I smiled for hours after reading the post.

I've told my mum about her story and she wishes they had gone hollistic with my poor beloved (and greatly missed) aunty Jenny, mum's sister who was pushed into invasive treatments which made her life unbearable until the end... She loved roses too...

Thanks for asking, Pampa. How is yopur girl ???

Yep Miss Sophies roses are still filling the garden with sweet fragrance. I do bury my nose in the blooms. They are special for Miss Sophie...being ever true to herself as a great gourmet she would eat roses! ( as well as anything and everything that she could get inot her mouth and down her throat. It is nothing short of a miracle that she never suffered a blockage of anysort duirng her 11.5 years.

Lucinda gave me a fright earlier this week..she could barely walk, and kept falling over and having great difficulty getting up. PANIC!!!!!!!! Then a deep breath and i held her down gently and inspected her all over...it was a badly broken toenail! almost split right through about 1/8inch from the base. Must have been terribly painful for the poor old dear. So off to the vet. After removal of the hanging off bit and a full manicure she is much much chirpier.

Oscar is still holding his own. I sneak up to spy on him during the day as if I only see him at mealtimes he is always around the same spot. As there is something interfering with the blood circulation to his hindquarters it is important to make sure that he can still move about ( as well a manage normal elimination LOL) he may not be fast but he sure gets about. So far there is not straining again and all the holistic meds really seem to have helped improve his breathing. His colour is excellent, his belly is no longer bloated. So for the time being all is well.

Sadly on Monday Adam, my very first goat was helped to The Bridge..Adam was my learning goat and he reached a ripe old age of 17 years..for the last two years he helped me understand the full meaning of the term "silly old fart" bless him. Oscar was very concerned about Adam until I arrived, then he obviously handed responsibility for everything to me.

another morsel of good news is that Margali seems to have located her missing bark at last!

It sounds a bit rusty and unused, but is improving each day.

Thank you for sharing the update with us DBS. I am so glad all are doing well in their own way. Sorry to hear of your loss of Adam the Goat (17yo is a pretty ripe old age for a goat, no?), but congratulations to Margali for finding voice once more! :laugh:

Thanks for the update...

I know and understand completely why you panic when Lucinda is not well - it is so alarming...

Glad to hear Margali has her bark back...

Oscar is a true fighter, bless him...

Give them all a big hug from us...

Hugs

Jodie and Ollie dog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

thought I'd give a little update.

Lucinda: still here but very itchy at the moment. I guess we are still just taking each day as it comes. Lucinda is still feisty but has become quite frail. But the other night had a dust up which she started and she finished....sigh. Once an alpha bitch always an alpha bitch. Bless her.

Oscar: is doing really well. he has picked up quite a bit. Snoozes a lot more but otherwise is good.

Margali: still has no bark. LOL.

The rest of the mob is well.