Lucinda And Oscar

Ok here is Lucindas own topic!

We are hopefully heading for 4 years post diagnosis ( dxd: late August 2002). MCT grade 3 no clean margins.

Lucinda is has been totally holisticcally treated since November 2002.

post-908-1145589372_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogbesotted

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have kept a diary of most of the treatments( through a compliation of posts to Barbara ( Lucindas holistic vet and the canine cancer list.)....everytime I revisit it I get a shock remembering how desperate things were initially..never in my wildest dreams did I ever allow myself to think that she may still be here with me over 3.5 years later. God has been kind. Now he/she just needs to be kinder.

initially Lucinda was getting weekly Vit C by iv, quercetin, hoxsey,chinese meds, salmon oil, additional Vit C daily ( ester C plus a vit C with bioflavinoids) and 5 mushrrom extract. That was then reduced down to 2-3 times weekly. we restart weekly iv's next week.

About two months ago we went back up to daily..she is getting weaker now but does have a good appetite.

Ahhh the lovely Lucinda has her very own thread... She is such a pretty girl.

You are both a huge inspiration to us with our battle against this horrid disease...

I keep a diary (only after you mentioned it once) of what is going on with Ollie and all his medication...

Thankyou

Jodie and Ollie dog

Lucinda has been doing very well until about 6 months ago....blood tests all clear. But now she is not as active and has had some very down times, but bounces back. I suspect it is all a matter of balance. If she is in balance then the mast cells dont get too active, if anything upsets that balance: stress or whatever then it allows the Mast cells to get a bit of an upper hand. Then we add a bit more support in for her immune system. She will not have any more surgery as she does not cope at all well with anaesthetics or stress. In addition seeing the original surgery failed to get clean margins ..there is little to gain. Radiation and chemo were not offered originally.

Quality of life has always been the major consideration and she certainly is having that...

Lucinda turns 9 in August and hopefully we will have a big birthday celebration

Seems like you've had your work cut out for you in Lucinda's care, DBS .... and, like others who are otherwise vitally occupied, you've still always had the time to help me and others fighting our own dilemmas.

I am not anywhere near as capable as you have shown yourself to be in knowledge pertaining to health issues, so I have nothing to offer you in that respect.

But I do send my warmest wishes to you and Lucinda for luck and health.

Well said Erny...

If it was not for DBS, I dare say that I would have lost the plot a while ago... She is a virtual library of information...

I really could never thank you enough, Helen, for all you have done for Ollie and I.

I love that pic of Lucinda... Is she sleeping in the one in your avatar?

Jodie

Hey Erny dont be so hard on yourself. It is all a learning curve, sometimes incredibly steep. I knew nothing at all when Lucinda was first diagnosed. Did heaps of reading, joined two groups for ppl with dogs with cancer and kept asking questions. Barbara Fougere was helpful as well.

Casper taught me all about thyroid, adrenals etc, Morris led me to a better diet for my dogs and a refusal to vaccinate annually( Thrombocytopenia, bladder stones and finally lymphoma), Jake gave me lessons about dog allergies and a short hard heartwrenching lesson about dilated cardiomyopathy. Oscar is teaching me about bowel blockages and prostate..and so it goes on. Lucky God Bless his anxious little soul is teaching me about helping shy and anxious dogs. The Divine Miss Sophie taught me about the will to live.

I am delighted that you have put up a special thread for the lovely Lucinda so that we can follow her bumpy road with hopefully more ups than downs :mad

I assumed she was a standard poodle (I guess due to your avatar :thumbsup: ), but, in the photo you put up, she appears to be a Maremma :thumbsup: I'm sooooooo sorry if I'm wrong, but the photo doesn't enlarge much and I probably need glasses...

She is devine, whatever the case may be :laugh:

Echos of thanks from me too... You will never know how much you helped me, by recognising the symptoms we were faced with and putting me on the right track, right in the beginning of our ordeal.

Thank you Helen ;)

Edited by pampa

Pampa,

My avatar features a painting of a sleeping maremma LOL.

I am now a maremma only zone with Lucinda, Oscar, Margali, Dennys Dog, Guiness McGuinness, Angelina, Gina, Grace, Alex, Angel, and Lucky ....

Lucinda and Oscar are my very first maremmas...little did I know they would become an addiction. Gina, Grace and Lucky are failed fosters, Dennys Dog and Guiness mcGuinness are litter brothers, sons of Margali. Yesterday some friends came to see Alex with a view to adoption..they have a property that is close to heaven on earth www.cloudlake.com

and they are going to adopt Alex and Angel . which is a real thrill. Luckily most of the people who have adopted maremmas from here keep in touch and i get to visit them ones that are close by frequently.

the details for some of my guys are here: www.willaurafarm.com

The site is still a work in progress next additions in May this year. Hopefully there will be more then about the maremmas, the sheep, the fosters, and the wildlife.

Today Lucinda is having a really great day which is wonderful.

Helen,

He had a great weekend... We went walking (which he was not supposed to do - due to a little lameness) but he loves it so much and sits at the door while I get dressed every morning (he has done this his whole life)...

On Sunday we roasted some chestnuts and I peeled him a few - he loves them...

I am so glad that Lucinda had a good weekend - it makes the heart sing when they are well...

Jodie

Lucinda is doing quite well...i think the cooler weather makes her feel more comfortable . I have been penning her at night otherwise she exhausts herself patrolling around the house yeard ALL NIGHT. we have had a fox decimating the goose flock ( now down to one solitary goose!) and of course Lucinda feels the need to patrol, baying and carrying on. The whole neighbourhood has been quite noisy for the past two weeks so I think brer fox has been doing the rounds. Tonight I will let Guiness McGuinness and Grace have acces to the front paddock and see what happens. Last time it was a dead fox come morning.

Helen and

The Maremma Crew

The fair Lucinda, Oscar, Margali, Dennys Dog, Guiness McGuinness, Grace, Gina, Angelina, Lucky, Alex and Angel.