Choker Chains

Hi guy's

I'm new here. I want to be a responsible dog owner i'm only 17 and have decided to take my Stafford to obedience traning I live in a small town and there is only one place to train.

The instructor told me that she only trains with a choker and that it's her responsibilty to do this as to abide by SACA rules. She's an older lady and I believe she is set in her ways I already had him on a half-check collar. All the rest of the dog's in the class wear one but I don't like them. She also doesn't allow treats as reward.

My question is do I have to train with a choker or is it BS.

Thanks

NO you dont !!

There are other ways to train a dog , even the police force are now using positive reinforcement with there training regime with their dogs .

If you dont like there methods and the club are not willing to except your rights , change clubs!

Yeah hard situation, i know that where I train they dont mind if u train with a check chain or flat collar, when i got my staffy X something big, he was 2 years of age, very strong and had never had any work done with him. I wanted him to wear a halti at dog school and i was really scared that they would object, a few of the teachers didnt like it but i stuck to my guns and he kept waering it, i have noticed that others now have started using them.

It may be difficult but i would continue turning up with just a collar, remember positive reinforcement, that is when your dog does something correct praise or treat it, if it does a behavior you dont desire ignore it.

Perhaps you could look into clicker training since you cant give food treats at you dog school. Dont give up, do lots of training at home and i find reading training books and articles a great help :rolleyes:

That's a shame you only have one school available to you. :rolleyes:

Staffy's are usually fairly sensitive and they shut down with harsh methods.

Being younger, and in a club situation you may also be pressured into doing things that you don't want to do or feel is necessary for your dog.

Maybe a better option would be to buy some books on positive training and join a few discussion lists through yahoogroups.com, there are so many online these days and you don't *have* to go to a training school to have a well trained dog.

Good luck, don't be forced into using any equipment you don't want to - no-one can make you. :rofl:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Thanks for the help guys.

I think i'll turn up with him wearing his half-check collar next week and if she doesn't like it i'll have to train him myself using books.

The funny thing is I trained him a bit thru her last year and she allowed him to wear a half-check collar she only protested once and then she gave up.

S.F.

Hi guy's

I'm new here. I want to be a responsible dog owner i'm only 17 and have decided to take my Stafford to obedience traning I live in a small town and there is only one place to train.

The instructor told me that she only trains with a choker and that it's her responsibilty to do this as to abide by SACA rules. She's an older lady and I believe she is set in her ways I already had him on a half-check collar. All the rest of the dog's in the class wear one but I don't like them. She also doesn't allow treats as reward.

My question is do I have to train with a choker or is it BS.

Thanks

Hi stafffyfreak,

Its BS. I personally would never use any method or equipment on either of my dogs that I'm not comfortable with.

If your not happy with the trainer and her methods, you don't neccessarily need to go to a class (or though if you could find another one that would be great!) there are plenty of GREAT dog training books available to get you started. I'm sure there are people here that can reccomend you a couple.

BTW, its great to hear of another youngin' being interested in dog training (I'm 18 myself)!

Sonia.

I would agree with what people are saying. Don't give in and join up a few lists and get some positive training books and train yourself. I live in SA and even in the city we have had slim pickings in the way of positive clubs. I started training my 5.5 year old BC around the time I was 18 and most of my training has been done with information I have received from a wonderful group of people online (all positives). I am now fortunate enough to have found a club (who's methods I agree with) which I can train at but that has only been recently - as in the last couple of months. There are some wonderful people out there who are more than happy to share information and answer questions as you require so its not that hard to go it alone.

Ness

Perhaps you could look into clicker training since you cant give food treats at you dog school.

But, if food is this dog's favourite motivator, what good is the "click" if it can't be paired with something the dog REALLY enjoys? I'm more surprised that this training school does not permit rewarding with food treats (assuming this proves to be the dog's favourite motivator) than I am that they insist on check chains.

And Staffyfreak, a verbal marker, applied with good timing and voice, can be just as valuable to the dog if trained in the same way as one would a clicker, IMO. It also leaves your hand free to reward the dog with a prey toy (eg. rope bone) if your dog perceives such an item as 'fun'.

Edited by Erny

Perhaps you could look into clicker training since you cant give food treats at you dog school.

But, if food is this dog's favourite motivator, what good is the "click" if it can't be paired with something the dog REALLY enjoys? I'm more surprised that this training school does not permit rewarding with food treats (assuming this proves to be the dog's favourite motivator) than I am that they insist on check chains.

And Staffyfreak, a verbal marker, applied with good timing and voice, can be just as valuable to the dog if trained in the same way as one would a clicker, IMO. It also leaves your hand free to reward the dog with a prey toy (eg. rope bone) if your dog perceives such an item as 'fun'.

exactly, clicker training is used in conjunction with food

Shouldn't it be a personal choice?? i didn't go to a club due to them telling me to train how i was uncomforatble although it only meant a 30 second walk. Fortunately for me there are hundreds of clubs around. I don't like chokers but i have my rottweiler on one due to being unable to find a flat collar to fit but i attach the lead to the under bit so it doesn't retract (does that make sense) hope you can train the way you want to train. Be strong.

Gus is 15 months old and 25 kilos on the bigger side of pure Staffies, he still act's like a puppy but just want's to please me.

He like's treats but they aren't his main motivation. I don't like to give him too many treats when training I don't want him to come to expect it, and when I do give him something he get's a piece of schmacko about the size of my small fingernail. He does love his cotton rope I have never seen clicker training sounds interesting.

I just think that chokers are old fashioned and there are better ways to do things in the 21st century.

S.F.

With the clicker training i dont always have my dogs associate a click with food, it can be with treats such as play, dont know if this is sticking to the "rules" but it works for me! And when i train it isnt always with the clicker, sometimes they get praise, sometimes food and sometimes play. Whatever you find works for you keep going with it and never be afraid to try new things!!

I've got a problem in reverse so to speak.....what club will allow you to use a prong collar *sigh*

You don't have to use the choker chain if you don't want to and I'd give the 'bird' to a club that didn't let you use treats!

I used to go to that club :( I just moved at the end of last year. I never used a chain on my dog and I don't even remember it being an issue.

My new club insists on the dogs wearing a chain and I still use a martingale or leather slip collar, it works for him so I see no need to change.

Edited by Katie w/greys

My club allows check chains, martingales, flat collars or head collars - as it is a trialling club not many use head collars. Treats and toys are encouraged (although I get strange looks for 'spitting' food! :laugh: ). I use a martingale and toys and treats. They would have issues with a prong. One of the members it turns out knows myzska from another club and has issues with the use of a prong (came up when I was talking about K9 Force seminars - she mentioned prongs) - you should have seen her look when I said Yeah, so what? :eek: