Bad Tempered Puppy!

Devo

Today i gave devo a chicken wing b4 i went off to work.

I went out to say goodbye to him and noticed there was something on his chicken wing..

i bent down to get it and he growled..

i growled back then went to pick it up to clean it and he lurched at my and tried to bite me!

I yelled in firght abnd have him a smack on the rump.

We have never had this problem b4, i can touch him when he is eating out of his bowl..

What should i do to try and deter this behaviour?!

I dont want a angry dog when food time comes around!

What you do is ........

With the chicken wing ( keep rewards on you or just praise ) , take bone from his mouth , than instantly say " good boy " , than give back bone , do this often , daily infact.

I have done this with my dogs , as i had a problem with my ACD exactly what the problem you are having , but he was older. So i learnt from him .

Now i can take anything from my dogs mouthes without my hand being bitten off!

Get other to do this too , after you have mastered it .

Wont take too long , b4 pup realises that food taken from him isn't such a bad thing .

Good Luck :thumbsup:

It's a 'high value' treat. Jefferson was the same when we got him.

I could do anything with him when he was eating, chewing pig ears and the like, but we gave him a fresh roo tail a few days after we brought him home, and as my last dogs were trained so i could take anything out of their mouths whenever i chose, i tried to take the bone away.... well i got growled at, and a sort of semi lunge, but not a serious one, so my partner grabbed his collar and made him drop it and i took it away for about 10 mins and then gave it back to him. Havent tried it again, but i have walked past him very close on occasion when he has a meat bone with no problems. Dont know if it was a one off, havent tried to actually take one from him again, but i'm fairly sure that if he got something stuck he would let me get it out. Needless to say bone time is supervised, for both of them, tho theyve never shown any agression, but then theyve never had the chance to be too close at these times anyway. Come to think of it, a couple of times when some idiot has left chicken bones on their front nature strips, he has picked them up, and i have been able to get them out - mabey its just roo he loves.

One school of thought (dont agree or disagree) is that you need to 'trade' one high value treat for another. Should be easy to do with a pup, mabey a little more difficult with an older wiser dog.

Mabey try somethign he loves, a fave toy, liver treats or something, and praise him when he lets go the bone. Pick it up, and give it back to him a little later.

I will be very interested in other replies and advice here, i have a few doggie clients with this issue.

I would advise K9 Force's Triangle of Temptation (maybe someone else can provide a link :thumbsup: ). This teaches the dog that it has to look at you before it can get its food.

Dogs are no different to us,if someone suddenly comes along & grabs our food we react difference is we can talk they can growl.

As said the dog needs to be taught that taking food away isnt a drama.

Personally i would never growl at a pup they way you did & especially not hit it,You taught it nothing in that moment except confusion.

Often when people grab dogs food they give no warning just bend down & grab,the dog is startled or doesnt understand so it reacts.

You need to spend time giving & taking food & making it fun & rewarding