Raw Feeders

STZ -

I don't feed BARF as a model or philosophy. I feed using a raw, whole foods philosophy, no grains, small amounts of plant matter, raw meaty bones, offal/organs, eggs, sardines, and the occasional spoonful of yoghurt.

I started off feeding BARF initially as do many ppl, but have since changed to what I understand from my research, to be a prey model diet. I don't mind what you think you know about me and how I feed my dogs, b/c I know what it is that I'm doing, and I know that it's the absolute best that I am able to do, both for my dogs and my lifestyle. As I've got more than a little experience in feeding raw, whole foods, if someone asks for help or advice or information, I *am* qualified to respond. This isn't your domain exclusively and there are others here that value the experience of more than one or two ppl. And those ppl apparently value what I have to say. ;)

I do have a full time job and many interests and activities outside of DOL. I don't have unlimited amounts of time to prepare (daily) appropriate raw snacks for my dogs - and if I were to prepare such snacks in advance (say on the weekends) then they would spoil before they got used. As if I need to explain myself to you - but my dogs are left home alone while I work and are kept busy by way of Kong toys, treat balls, food hunts, etc, and this isn't possible using exclusively raw foods. My house would probably smell pretty awful when I got home every day if I used raw foods exclusively for their activities. Or perhaps you would like to disagree with that too? Go on ahead, if it makes you happy! :rofl:

As I said, I know what I'm doing, and I know that my advice/info/suggestions are welcomed by a lot of ppl here on DOL. :rofl:

Have a nice evening! :(

Fastgals - laughing at your bunny experience! :thumbsup: I can just picture it now...

Edited by lillysmum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STZ -

I'm going to assume you're talking to me, despite your typographical issues.

I don't feed BARF as a model or philosophy. I feed using a raw, whole foods philosophy, no grains, small amounts of plant matter, raw meaty bones, offal/organs, eggs, sardines, and the occasional spoonful of yoghurt.

Oh yes, what a perfect prey model diet. Geez, stop dreaming! You're using a modified BARF, NOT a prey model diet.

I started off feeding BARF initially as do many ppl, but have since changed to what I understand from my research, to be a prey model diet.

Oh for god's sake, stop pretending to feed a prey model diet. If you buy a sheep, toss it into the backyard and let your dogs eat it, then you're feeding a prey model diet. But grinding and mincing meat, and juicing up vegetables IS NOT A PREY MODEL DIET! Oh yeah, and feeding your dog kibble for breakfast.... that's pretty much stuffed the prey model diet concept too! FFS, how hard is it for you to understand. To take it to the simplest point...... if you're feeding plant matter, it's not a bloody prey model diet!

I don't mind what you think you know about me and how I feed my dogs, b/c I know what it is that I'm doing, and I know that it's the absolute best that I am able to do, both for my dogs and my lifestyle. As I've got more than a little experience in feeding raw, whole foods, if someone asks for help or advice or information, I *am* qualified to respond. This isn't your domain exclusively and there are others here that value the experience of more than one or two ppl. And those ppl apparently value what I have to say. :thumbsup:

As I've stated, I don't care what your feed your dogs, but I do care when you pretend to be this enlightened prey model feeder, when you're anything but. Feeding three dogs raw food for a few years doesn't make you an expert, especially since you're also feeding kibble, and therefore I don't believe you are qualified to respond about true prey model feeding.

One ore two may value what you have to say, but the rest of us are sick of hearing from you.

I do have a full time job and many interests and activities outside of DOL.

Wow goodie for you. What do you want, a medal? Violins?

As I said, I know what I'm doing, and I know that my advice/info/suggestions are welcomed by a lot of ppl here on DOL. ;)

If that's what it take to make you happy, you keep living in your own little world, ignorant to what most people really think of your "advice".

It shows just how much you don't actually know...I have never and will never grind or mince RMBs. I have no idea where you think I said that, but you are incorrect on that and many other points.

Oh, but you know something. I'm just going to tell you what you want to hear: I know nothing about anything, and have absolutely no right to speak in any thread here on DOL.

There you go! I hope that makes you happy. :laugh:

If you don't like reading my posts, why not choose to ignore me? There is no need for you to suffer through my apparently incompetent responses now, is there? Or perhaps you like to try to cause a fight and perhaps you like to try to hurt ppl that you don't even know by posting things about someone that just aren't correct? That's really sad.

Oh, but you know something. I'm just going to tell you what you want to hear: I know nothing about anything, and have absolutely no right to speak in any thread here on DOL.

Can I get that laminated?

If you don't like reading my posts, why not choose to ignore me?

Cause I don't have cable television anymore.

There is no need for you to suffer through my apparently incompetent responses now, is there? Or perhaps you like to try to cause a fight and perhaps you like to try to hurt ppl that you don't even know by posting things about someone that just aren't correct? That's really sad.

If you told the truth in your posts, if you didn't try and pretend that you are someone you aren't, if you don't try and pretend that reading a couple of websites makes you an expert, and if you stop ramming your dogma down people's throats, then we would get along just fine.

And if you bothered to actually understand that I do know what I'm doing, that I do have positive contributions to make, and that you have made some real clangers of errors in posting about me, then I wouldn't have anything further to say to you at all. Come to think of it, I don't have anything further to say to you. Simply put, you are incorrect on many points you've made about me.

Go on, have the last word. You know you want to. :o

End of discussion from me. I don't have to explain myself any further.

:o Little tearies. This just gets better.

Ahum.... my lot havent had kibble in over a year and cant see myself ever going back to it. I love raw feeding and so do my dogs. Having a friendly butcher who puts things away for them really helps as well.

Sorry to butt in here people but have a quick question or two...

Starting to look at a different diet for my 6 m.o as I'm not real happy about feeding her so little puppy kibble and still having her slightly overweight (1.5 cups a day versus the 4.5 cups recommended!). My only issue with her is the weight, don't want to put her on "light/mature" kibble when she's not quite 6 months. She looks really healthy ATM, lovely shiny coat, but tending heavily (literally!) towards the lab side of her breeding! :laugh:

Someone on DOL suggested feeding some cooked pumpkin to fill her up a little and cut down on her puppy food... which is what I did today, minced a heap of cooked pumpkin and a few other vegies and put them in the fridge freezer for the 10 days or so. Now I had to cook them as my processor won't handle uncooked vegies....

So whats the difference between cooking it and leaving it raw - as much as my pups a guts I can't see her hooking into a lump of raw pumpkin! I used very little water to cook it and what water I did use ended up in the blended mash mix anyway.

I also feed a fair few bones as I work full time and like her to have something to chew on while I'm at work. Are too many bones an issue for weight - she mostly gets lamb and beef leg and rib bones, and the very occasional chicken wing! She was getting a bone every day, but gets about 3 to 4 a week now.

Thanks!

Jess :rofl:

Feralpup I use a juicer to process the veg and fruit, not a processor or blender. A good juicer can easily handle raw veg including pumpkin. Mine was a wedding gift (and we celebrated our 10th anniversary in Jan)...and still going very strong.

IMO a little cooked veg from time to time won't hurt if you don't have raw. But raw is preferable. Bear in mind though, that a raw, whole foods diet relies mostly on raw meaty bones, then offal, with a little vegetation and the occasional meal that includes sardines, raw egg and perhaps some yoghurt (for the probiotics more than anything else). The bulk of the diet though, is RMBs.

If your pup is overweight, this is a sign that you're overfeeding or underexercising (or usually both). I would firstly examine how much exercise the pup is getting, then examine how many calories the pup is eating compared to the recommendations for a pup of that age and breed. Be sure to include snacks and treats as well as meals.

When I make a slop batch (or three, as is usually the case!), all the vegetation is mixed together. I use a wide variety of plant matter to make the batches - that's one of the big keys to success with any dietary regimen...variety is more likely to result in success no matter what the goal may be. The ingredients I include, not limited to these, but generally and in no particular order:

green beans, tomatoes (not much and not often), pumpkin, sweet potato, capsicum (not much and not often), zucchini, bok choy, silverbeet, beetroot (one of their favourite ingredients!), apple, pear, stone fruit, melons, kiwi fruit, and strawberries (only if they're very lucky b/c I like them too much!). I use a lot higher ratio of veg to fruit. I also include some crushed garlic in some batches, and some LSA (linseed, almond and sunflower crushed) in some batches.

Most methods of raw feeding recommend no more than 50% plant matter in the dog that needs weight loss. This is not intended to be a permanent change...just to help the dog lose weight. Some proponents also say to reduce or remove offal, others don't. If you wish to consider using a raw foods diet for your dog, I'd urge you to do some thorough research before you do so. It's not "rocket science" but you do need to have a good understanding of nutritional requirements and how to manage a balanced raw foods diet.

If you're feeding a lower quality processed food, try switching to a higher quality. You'll generally see a better result and the better brands don't actually cost more in real terms, it just seems that way b/c the purchase price is higher. You certainly feed much less of a good food than a poorer one. Your dog certainly gets more nutrition from a good food, and is able to use more of the food b/c there is a lower filler to food ratio.

If you are adding lots of meaty bones, your dog won't be losing weight at all...perhaps this is the real cause of the problem? You are feeding both processed foods and a number of bones per week? Try to examine the caloric load your pup is really eating, as I said, b/c this will make a huge difference in the long run.

HTH. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...