This Is What It Looks Like...

Client of mine, known to us DOLERS at Tarka sent me a progress report today... By video...

Some back ground.

Ruby is a young high drive GSD female, she was a little boisterous & difficult to control.

She was difficult to handle around other dogs as she was over enthusiatsic to meet with them...

Tarka only had one lesson with me so what you see is all him...

The dog is trained in prey drive....

Well done Steve, great job...

Video

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Steve, great job...

Oh great, now I'm going to get beaten up with the playground after school for being a teacher's pet :rofl:

I actually learned about prey-drive at the workshop last September when I saw K9 try some prey-drive with Ruby and get immediate results. I hadn't had much luck before but seeing a pro do it helped a lot, so K9 deserves some credit.

The trick, BTW, is to wind the dog up first; snapping the prey item in front of her, letting her know that it's desirable before showing her how to get it.

Excellent work, Steve, I notice you train with the words Sitz, Platz ( Drop stay in drive), Futz ( Heel from front)( spelling?)

How important is it to use these as against the normal sit,drop, heel commands?

and do you also use sit, drop,heel still?

K9: I use drive commands so that the dog knows that completing the command with the correct action will bring a drive reward, in this case toy...

English commands mean that the dog complies knowing it will not get drive satisfaction...

Speed of compliance will always be faster in high prey drive...

Excellent work, Steve, I notice you train with the words Sitz, Platz ( Drop stay in drive), Futz ( Heel from front)( spelling?)

How important is it to use these as against the normal sit,drop, heel commands?

and do you also use sit, drop,heel still?

I can't say how important it is, but I do still use sit, stay, etc. when not in drive. For instance, when walking I use 'close' for a casual heel in the street, 'sit' and 'down' at home as 'payment' for food rewards, etc. I rarely use 'fuss' (more correctly 'fuß' I believe) outside of drive training, and then mainly when I expect a fast, immediate response. I try and make sure that a drive-based command always gets a drive reward, whereas as non-drive command may get nothing more than a 'good dog' or a pat on the head, but compliance is not as immediate.

I don't have a particular reason for any of this other than I don't want to 'use up' her drive, if that makes any sense. And I can't say that it's necessarily the best method, I'd be interested to see what other think.

Cheers,

Steve

wyvernblade: I can't wait for Steve's workshop here in Vic at the end of the month. Hope I can get results like that out of our hyper GSD!!

K9: I have one of those memories that stores just about everything, if it serves me correctly, you once posted that your high drive GSD couldnt go off leash because of her drive? Well Ruby has a lot of drive... & she recalls because of her drive... :rofl:

That's brilliant! Well done! I can't wait for Steve's workshop here in Vic at the end of the month. Hope I can get results like that out of our hyper GSD!!

Is this 'hyper' all the time? Another advantage to training in drive is that it tires the dog out in a way physical exercise alone doesn't ...

It's only an 18 hour drive from Adelaide to Kurrajong. You can do it!

K9: A lot of people do travel interstate, we set up a lesson per day while their here, its amazing what can be achieved.

We set up the accomodation etc etc..

Don't think it was my dog you were thinking about...........our GSD is my hubby's dog and is the one that has had a fear aggression problem with other dogs. We have started working him in basic drive tho and he's brilliant! If his toy or ball is present he doesn't know anything else exists, he will chase his ball all day if you wanted to have dead arms! But we're still having problems with him jumping all the time and also he grabs your hands, i.e we make him sit and then he gets rewarded, either patted, or we throw the ball, but before he takes off he snatches at your hand, he has drawn blood on me from doing it! Have no idea what that's all about! So am looking forward to learning more about training in drive and also asking 5 million questions! :D

W: But we're still having problems with him jumping all the time and also he grabs your hands, i.e we make him sit and then he gets rewarded, either patted, or we throw the ball, but before he takes off he snatches at your hand,

K9: ok one tip, dont bthrow the ball any more for him... even if you stop any ball work, bring him to my Friday workshop & if he is like you say he is (obsessed with ball), I will teach him things like you saw in the video right in front of you... In minutes...

BAAAAAAAAH watching that you make me feel bad

how how how how how do you do that?! I'm going to training and feel like i'm getting 3 good minutes out of it, and you get THAT in a day...