New Malamute Pup All Hell's Gonna Break Loose

poochall

I own a red cattle x bearded collie {female desexed} and a kelpie x spoodle {male desexed} (both rescue dogs) they are the perfect pair but the problem i have is they have formed their own little pack and dont let other dogs in. 2 years ago when my brother was living with me and bought a puppy for him and his girlfriend

my two continuily attacked this pup the pup had to find a new home. Well the problem i have now is my mother (who i live with) has brought home an alaskan malamute pup and im terrified that my two dogs are not going to except this dog and history will repeat itself. My dogs are not agressive dogs they are very lovely but it is the female she has almost laid claims over my male and does not like any other dogs coming near him wich sets her off and then ofcourse he copy's.

When they bought the pup home i told them to try introducing them through the fence for all the dogs safety but the chose not to do this and not only did they scare the pup stiff but it whipped my two up into a frenzy nuthing said they were going to attacked but nuthing said that they wouldnt either i really wish my mother had seriously thought this through considering she knew full well what happened with the other dog but she didnt and we now have this dog and no one seems to be listening to me about my two dogs. I know my two dogs the best and the worst thing is i have repeated myself about 20 times today and i know that if anything does happen they will act surprised even though i have told them what could happen and they have also witnessed this happen 2 years ago.

My mother who knows nuthing about dogs or their behavour said just put them togeather and let them sort it out i am in no way comfortable with this

but im not sure how to introduce the new pup into the two dogs little pack. I also want the new pup to know full well that the older female is boss because that

was half the problem with the other dog one of the problems was it had tried to dominate her at first and from that moment on my girl held a grudge against that dog.

Also i have noticed if i am near by another dog it seems to upset them more i dont know if this is protectiveness jealousy or territorial or all of the above

both my dogs have seen trainer and behavourilist and are very well trained and well behaved particularly seens they both came from horrible homes but ofcourse they do have this one set back.

I have done some readin on the malamute now that we have one in the home and i showed mum what i found concerning their health issues and one thing i would like cleared up is ive heard that they can be aggressive and have been known to attack humans but i can only find good things written about them.

well pups first night went great i am a shift working i didnt get home until about 3 this morning and i found the pup fast asleep on the lounge however after i ate had a shower and got into bed it was about 4:30 am. When everyone left for work and school this morning at around 7:30 i was woken by actual wolf howling i wasnt aware they actually howled like a wolf but she very much does and she wouldnt stop until i got up so this is definetly going to be a problem for me. It has been such a long time since i first bought my two home they didnt come togeather but came about 6 months apart and were both adults but i didnt get any seperation anxiety's.

I also found when i woke up this morning a note from my mum that said she wont go to the toilet outside because of all the rain and the cat keeps scaring her {stray that everyone in the neighbourhood feeds and if it is cold enough someone will usually let him in their garage}

I didnt think it was normal for this breed of dog to be scared of a cat ?

so anyway now im in bed with my laptop and a coffee and she is sitting next to me obviously upset because she is still letting out little whimpers. How do i deal with a pup with seperation anxiety ?

First of all - she is a puppy. This means that she has been taken from her litter mates, and is lonely, so yes she will howl when she's alone, you have to slowly get her used to being alone. If your at home thats great, the pup can spend time with you.

As for your two dogs, it sound like you are letting them dictate how things are going to turn out. First of all you should be introducing them to the pup seperatly on neutral territory. For the first couple of weeks only allow them to play with her on a one on one basis. Once you have them accepting the pup on an individual basis, you can try putting all three together.

It is very important that you do this, and that you also don't allow your dominant bitch to be too agreesive with the pup, you need them accepting each other, not having the pup terrified of the bitch, because in 6 - 8 months you will have a full grown malamute who will get sick of your bitch and her nastiness and you will have one hell of a fight on your hands, and i can tell you, my money will be on the mally.

This can be worked out, but you have to learn to be the pack leader, not let the dogs rule how things turn out.

As for the pup being scared of the cat, it's a puppy!!! Puppies are scared of all sorts of things, so this is totally normal at this age. It has nothing to do with breed.

First of all - she is a puppy. This means that she has been taken from her litter mates, and is lonely, so yes she will howl when she's alone, you have to slowly get her used to being alone. If your at home thats great, the pup can spend time with you.

As for your two dogs, it sound like you are letting them dictate how things are going to turn out. First of all you should be introducing them to the pup seperatly on neutral territory. For the first couple of weeks only allow them to play with her on a one on one basis. Once you have them accepting the pup on an individual basis, you can try putting all three together.

It is very important that you do this, and that you also don't allow your dominant bitch to be too agreesive with the pup, you need them accepting each other, not having the pup terrified of the bitch, because in 6 - 8 months you will have a full grown malamute who will get sick of your bitch and her nastiness and you will have one hell of a fight on your hands, and i can tell you, my money will be on the mally.

This can be worked out, but you have to learn to be the pack leader, not let the dogs rule how things turn out.

As for the pup being scared of the cat, it's a puppy!!! Puppies are scared of all sorts of things, so this is totally normal at this age. It has nothing to do with breed.

I tried an introduction with my male a little while ago because i had to put flea treatment on them and so i bought him into the backroom and the pup was upstairs very scared at first but then my male sort of showed he only wanted to play so the malamute went nuts and was jumping all over him it went well. When i tried it with my female all went well at first the pup was upstairs again {behing a fly screen) she was a little more confident this time having just played with the male and at first my red cattle x sort of did an excited dance and the pup backed away from the screen at first but got excited again and charged up to the screen which either scared my female or saw it as a challenge and started barking the pup screamed and dropped onto its side and then everything calmed down. I decided to put the cattle x back outside to have breakfast rather then to keep things going the pup had quite a fright and i didnt want to scare her again i will try again a little later.

She is a very lovely pup very cuddly and sooky especially since yesterday i had only seen her for about an hour before i had to go to work but she is trusting me. Last night they taught her to sit she is very eager to please. Now they or myself seens im the only one home of a day time have to teach her how to walk on a lead outside she will do it inside but gets to scared outside im not sure whether to use treats or praise she seems to respond well to praise and i have read that this dog breed can have weight problems. She is only 8 weeks old which i feel was a little young to come into a new home but i dont know the people she came from and i dont know the circumstance or the way they breed. Ive only ever had adult dogs from rescues im a sucker for a disadvantaged dog so i have never really dealt with pups before but i can say she is very well behaved she doesnt nip or jump up although when i was getting dressed she was standing next to me and when i put my pants on she grabbed the leg and tried to run of with it but it was just play and it is the only thing i have seen so far that would be considered nipping and i replaced my pants with a rope toy my mum bought her and she was satisfied with that.

What age should she have her hips checked mum doesnt seem to concerned about this but i have read they can have HD and i have had a dog before that has had HD and i think she should be checked.

what other health concerns in the breed that she needs to be tested for ?

and what is day blindness exactly ?

hi

it sounds like the pup is settiling in fine, what you are doing with the dogs and pup is great, the puppy droping into a submissive position is good for the moment, the pup is recognising your girl as boss, and by droping like that the pup prevents (usually) ferther "disaplen" from the dog. it is normal for the pup to be a bit scared of the dogs, but the pups need for socalisation will over ride it's fear, he has lern't how to interact with dogs from his mother and littermates, and now he is trying it out on another dog, he probably feels like you would just befor a big exam, and you haven't fully prepared for it, so the pup feels a bit angsious, constantly thinking what should i do, and reading the other dogs body language.

it is ok for the pup fo feel scared..... as long as you are in control of the other dog or situation. don't comfert the pup for showing signs of being scared, just ignore the pup and act confident, and remove the pup from the enviroment it is scared of, usually by walking away the pup will follow make shour the dog can not follow if he is scared of the dog give the pup a minnet to gain confidence again and walk back into the situation the pup was scared of praise the pup for following give the dog and pup a pat and praise.

i would get the pup to puppy preschool asap, this will help with training, and give you some gidance to what you should be doing with the pup.

8 weeks is the perfict age to get your puppy, he is in his human, and world socalation period this means get active with the pup, go for walks, puppy preschool, teach to sit before dinner, and human dog social manners.

use praise, food, toy, play and pat rewords in training never limmet your self to one type of reinforcment, it will pay off latter.

hip testing is done between one and two years of age you have a whill to wate.

if you socilise your pup at puppy preschool, and known (puppy) friendly dogs you will have less chances of dog aggression also desexing will help.

i hope i have been a little help for you.

hi

it sounds like the pup is settiling in fine, what you are doing with the dogs and pup is great, the puppy droping into a submissive position is good for the moment, the pup is recognising your girl as boss, and by droping like that the pup prevents (usually) ferther "disaplen" from the dog. it is normal for the pup to be a bit scared of the dogs, but the pups need for socalisation will over ride it's fear, he has lern't how to interact with dogs from his mother and littermates, and now he is trying it out on another dog, he probably feels like you would just befor a big exam, and you haven't fully prepared for it, so the pup feels a bit angsious, constantly thinking what should i do, and reading the other dogs body language.

it is ok for the pup fo feel scared..... as long as you are in control of the other dog or situation. don't comfert the pup for showing signs of being scared, just ignore the pup and act confident, and remove the pup from the enviroment it is scared of, usually by walking away the pup will follow make shour the dog can not follow if he is scared of the dog give the pup a minnet to gain confidence again and walk back into the situation the pup was scared of praise the pup for following give the dog and pup a pat and praise.

i would get the pup to puppy preschool asap, this will help with training, and give you some gidance to what you should be doing with the pup.

8 weeks is the perfict age to get your puppy, he is in his human, and world socalation period this means get active with the pup, go for walks, puppy preschool, teach to sit before dinner, and human dog social manners.

use praise, food, toy, play and pat rewords in training never limmet your self to one type of reinforcment, it will pay off latter.

hip testing is done between one and two years of age you have a whill to wate.

if you socilise your pup at puppy preschool, and known (puppy) friendly dogs you will have less chances of dog aggression also desexing will help.

i hope i have been a little help for you.

i tried another introduction to my dogs which went a little better my girl was okay with the pup for about 10 mins but then she got sick of all the jumping around i think it is cause she is older she is 8. My male has alot more energy and enjoyed all the jumping around i think it is just going to take alot of time to get my girl to settle in with the new pup but the pup is understanding that she is boss and has been backing of or lying on her side in front of my girl.

Pup has now been booked into puppy preschool and starts next week after she has her vac and microchip.

A bit later on today i will let her play a little more with my two dogs.

Still dont have a name for her but hopefully they will think of one soon.

Pup had decided she had had enough of the cat last night and started barking at it the cat got terrified and bolted.

She is still refusing to go to the toilet outside bcause of the rain so i had some little presents for me when i got up i might have to train the people in the house to pick up after her. It is only sprinkling a little today so hopefully she will feel better about it.