K9 Force - Melbourne Visit

Steve,

Due to my week I have not returned to dog training but have continued spinning with Yank. For the worst two days of Peppa's season, when he was distracted (his damm nose!!!) he has progressed well.

Stamp of course, ignored Peppa's scent.

Yank's recalls continue to improve. I trust him more. Nearly 100%, but I am careful with distraction levels. He is sitting well and focus is great.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Due to my week I have not returned to dog training but have continued spinning with Yank. For the worst two days of Peppa's season, when he was distracted (his damm nose!!!) he has progressed well.

K9: lol, Stamp is the man!!

I like him too.

BTW, before being sent on a retrieve........with the good, good, gooooooddddd, is progressing well. From time to time he is a little vocal, but that is fine. Settling down.

In hindsight, even though I have significantly slowed down my sends over the years, you have reminded to slow them down even more. Damm, handler bad habits are hard to break.

Edited by Lablover

I like him too.

K9: He would be one of the best Labs I have ever seen both here & overseas...

BTW, before being sent on a retrieve........with the good, good, gooooooddddd, is progressing well. From time to time he is a little vocal, but that is fine. Settling down.

K9: well that tells us that it is working.... lol, he will ditch the vocalising when he see's it doesnt get him anywhere...

In hindsight, even though I have significantly slowed down my sends over the years, you have reminded to slow them down even more. Damm, handler bad habits are hard to break.

K9: lucky you dont have many then lol...

K9: He would be one of the best Labs I have ever seen both here & overseas...

Hmmmmm......be very, very careful here K9 .....you have a lot of Lab owners on this forum :thumbsup:

And we ALL think we have the best Labs in the world..even I have Son of Stamp :cry:

K9: lol note the "one of" disclaimer....

Well, you have redeemed yourself - this time. :thumbsup:

:cry::cry:

Oh brother. Or sister in this case. The fruit does not fall far from the tree. Physical problems withstanding.

I will take the compliment. Thanks.

After all training a good prospect in all in the "dog" ie solid nerves and great desire.

Hi K9,

Firstly, thanks for running the workshop, it was great! The money for the martingale is on it's way I promise (just need to visit your site to see what other equipment I might want).

I have a question regarding the dog I brought along to the workshop, you might recall he kept crawling up in my lap. He's just turned 2 (the day after the workshop in fact) and lately has been really affectionate and clingy. I am wondering if this behavior might be age related? He was also recently desexed so maybe he's just starting to calm down? He still has a thing about some male dogs though, especially if they go near Mel my young bitch (10 mths old).

I also have a question regarding the prey drive article. Duncan retrieves a thrown ball and will bring it right back to us, even placing it directly into our hands. Now I know you said the thrown article does not really qualify as a prey article, so what drive is being satisfied here? Apologies if you already covered this in the workshop, there was a lot to absorb that day :cry: .

Cheers,

Corine

Just posting this question again, think K9 may have missed it :cry: . I'm confused about whether the retrieving and returning of the article constitutes play or pack drive? Oh, I meant to add he's not a lab :thumbsup: .

Thanks,

Corine

F: Just posting this question again, think K9 may have missed it :thumbsup: . I'm confused about whether the retrieving and returning of the article constitutes play or pack drive?

K9: it could be taught in either, but I feel the best drive for this is prey drive...

F: Just posting this question again, think K9 may have missed it :thumbsup: . I'm confused about whether the retrieving and returning of the article constitutes play or pack drive?

K9: it could be taught in either, but I feel the best drive for this is prey drive...

Sorry K9 but I'm still a little unsure about this. My dog already retrieves the article and most times will bring it straight back for another round. In returning the article is he responding in drive? I guess what I'm asking is what makes it a prey drive response over a play drive one?

Cheers,

Corine

ISH: I can attach them to begin the TOT program (although they will all wait for their food already).

K9: keep in mind that the TOT isnt about teh dog waiting for its food, thats only one of the steps....

Sorry, thats not what I meant - I meant that for my dogs who don't need to be trained to tie up, I didn't really need to muck around getting organised so I could tether them to begin the program. I understand its about alot more than waiting for food.

One question though, I don't really understand how you teach the dog things in prey drive - I can understand how it works for dogs who already have an idea of how obedience training works (such as the dogs used for demos) and also how the ball on the string could be used to 'lure' the dog into position for some things, but what about teaching the stand, or stay?

K9: as the dog has so much desire (drive) for the prey item, its very easy, small bit of guidance & they figure it all out quick.

I understand that in theory, but all I can imagine is a large dog bouncing and jumping around madly trying to get the ball out of my hand and me trying to hold the ball out of reach of the dog. For teaching sit, you held the ball up high, the dogs head followed the ball up, bum came down into a sit and you released the ball - that makes sense to me. If I was to teach stand using food motivation training, I would have the dog on lead in a heel position, hold the food out infront of the dogs nose (making the 'stand' signal and saying stand as it stood) so it stood up and reached for the food, perhaps put my left hand on the dogs tummy to help hold it in position and then give it the food. Could you give me an idea, in steps, of how you'd go about teaching the stand (or stay) using prey drive because I would bet if I used the same technique using the ball rather than food, my dogs would be just jumping and pulling, trying to reach and snatch the ball. I'm sure its really easy, I'm just dumb :thumbsup:

ISH: I understand that in theory, but all I can imagine is a large dog bouncing and jumping around madly trying to get the ball out of my hand and me trying to hold the ball out of reach of the dog.

K9: Its very easy, when the dog jumps into the air, take a step back, the dog will get sick & tired of jumping real fast... I have done it a few times lol...

If I was to teach stand using food motivation training, I would have the dog on lead in a heel position, hold the food out infront of the dogs nose (making the 'stand' signal and saying stand as it stood) so it stood up and reached for the food, perhaps put my left hand on the dogs tummy to help hold it in position and then give it the food. Could you give me an idea, in steps, of how you'd go about teaching the stand (or stay) using prey drive because I would bet if I used the same technique using the ball rather than food, my dogs would be just jumping and pulling, trying to reach and snatch the ball. I'm sure its really easy, I'm just dumb :thumbsup:

K9: Ok, when the dog stops jumpingt & sits, we start to slow down the release of the ball, the release also must be passive, just drop the ball to the dog...

Next delay the time before dropping the ball, priase slowly "yes" & move the ball closer to the dogs nose...

When the dog jumps you pull away the ball, this teaches the dog just to sit, not try & win the ball via speed....

See pic below...

When this is the case, you teach the drop, using the ball as a lure... Then throw the ball into the feet of the dog...

Then teach 1 dynamic command (after the 2 static). Such as heel or recall...

After you have success in all three, treach the stand or what ever you like, as you would with food the dog wont grab at the ball...

Promise lol...

post-1129-1149552877_thumb.jpg

Edited by K9 Force

TRAGEDY HAS STRUCK!!!

I have lost the NEW favourite ball (on the string).

Cracker must have hidden it somewhere this afternoon while I was training in a paddock.

May I order half a dozen please?

The balls being discussed in this forum, are they the round, reasonably hard balls with nobbles or nodules all around the ball? Is it the ball that Bernahrd Flinks, the German Police dog trainer who goes to the States a lot to teach his method, uses? If so, that would be what Ed Frawley of Leerburg Kennels and Productions has made a DVD about. He also markets these balls.

If we are talking about the same balls, then they are gairly easily available from local pet stores. We have been using them in the training of our dogs.

Hope that helps.