K9 Force - Melbourne Visit

I'm starting with our shepherd trying to get his drive higher. I know he has it but he's got that whole 'circle of control' thing happening so will have to overcome that, but will be happy to let everyone know how we go! As for the new kid on the block, my new Doberman puppy is showing great drive (I have teeth marks all over the back of both hands!!) and he has sorted out the TOT almost straight away, so I'm very happy with him. He's already responding to my voice only and ignoring everyone else, not bad for an 8 week old pup that didn't know me from a bar of soap (What is with these bizarre sayings??) And has only been home for a few days!! Wanted to ask K9, I have been taking pup with me everywhere, he's been in at work with me every day, to the local primary school everyday, down to the shops etc, I have been carrying him as I didn't want him to get overwhelmed, especially at the primary school (Those kids scare ME) :D But you know how you said that the pup should view YOU as the most exciting thing that happens in his day, how does that work in when he's obviously excited about being in all these different places and you only want me to play with the ball with him at home? I know these little guys are like sponges at this age so want to be taking him everywhere and getting him used to stuff?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

K9: Im glad your seeing the wonders of my TOT program, people always ask what to do with a puppy in the TOT, as you can see its the same, they learn very fast.

With your puppy, you can use the ball on the string outdoors if you like, but why not call the puppy back to you & play with it yourself, satisfy pack drive?

Thats what I do...

I haven't started any new programs with my dogs yet ;) I'm still thinking of how to go about it with 5 dogs with various degrees of training and temperament here. I hope over the weekend I'll be able to screw some kind of ring into the wall in each of the dogs pens so I can attach them to begin the TOT program (although they will all wait for their food already).

I've been thinking of trying seperate training ways with my 2x 7month old GSD pups - the dog is very laid back, cruisy but loves his food and the bitch is a wild, crazy ball obsessed thing. When I remember to email K9 my address for my ball on the string and it arrive here, I'll begin prey drive training with Checa and food drive training with Desmo and see what happens. One question though, I don't really understand how you teach the dog things in prey drive - I can understand how it works for dogs who already have an idea of how obedience training works (such as the dogs used for demos) and also how the ball on the string could be used to 'lure' the dog into position for some things, but what about teaching the stand, or stay?

I :dropjaw::laugh::) my prong collar - what an amazing piece of equipment! Chili, who I had at the workshop, is 2 1/2 years old and has been doing obedience lessons her whole life but would never focus on me when there was other people/dogs around - mainly a bit problem with her heeling and not pulling. Last Sunday she had her prong collar on at obedience (not one person noticed!) and she wasn't a bit fussed by it, still played with the other dogs and jumped around like a fruit loop - but when we got to the serious work, she was so switched on and focused on me. It was like a light bulb moment for her, she turned her attention to me, got lots of praise and we were both happy! She was so good, I was able to do offlead heeling, recalls and agility for the very first time with her with no fear of her nicking off. I can't get over the difference it made.

I've also used it on my 18 month old bitch who has started lunging at other dogs while out on a walk and also pulled like a train due to her show training. I was able to walk her on a loose lead after just a few minutes of pulling which was lovely and she gave herself one sharp check lunging at a dog behind a fence (gave a little yelp) and then gave it up. The check didn't make her frightened of the collar at all, she still tried to chase magpies etc but she thought twice about lunging again.

Its certainly not the cruel, harsh, torture instrument its made out to be.

Oh and the new leash is devine, just beautiful - thanks again.

Its certainly not the cruel, harsh, torture instrument its made out to be.

You're right ..... pity more people couldn't see that and fight the proposed legislation to ban BEFORE it came into power. The use of a prong is banned here in Victoria, so of course none of us use them here ..... :wink: (Funnily, they're deemed 'cruel' here but not when we cross the border. :dropjaw:)

I'd love to see renewed vigour in reversing the legislation against this valuable piece of equipment. One day. :laugh:

Edited by Erny

ISH: I can attach them to begin the TOT program (although they will all wait for their food already).

K9: keep in mind that the TOT isnt about teh dog waiting for its food, thats only one of the steps....

One question though, I don't really understand how you teach the dog things in prey drive - I can understand how it works for dogs who already have an idea of how obedience training works (such as the dogs used for demos) and also how the ball on the string could be used to 'lure' the dog into position for some things, but what about teaching the stand, or stay?

K9: as the dog has so much desire (drive) for the prey item, its very easy, small bit of guidance & they figure it all out quick.

Last Sunday she had her prong collar on at obedience (not one person noticed!) and she wasn't a bit fussed by it, still played with the other dogs and jumped around like a fruit loop - but when we got to the serious work, she was so switched on and focused on me. It was like a light bulb moment for her, she turned her attention to me, got lots of praise and we were both happy! She was so good, I was able to do offlead heeling, recalls and agility for the very first time with her with no fear of her nicking off. I can't get over the difference it made.

K9: One big benefit of prong collars are that they give you back control, when you have control it triggers pack drive as the dog gives you respect...

Soon as this happens, it isnt long before the magic happens...

My style of training (as you seen) doesnt involve big corrections, rather a series of very small ones to show the dog where its advantage lays, its also overlain with very high praise.

This proves fast & effetctive & has many other upsides as you have seen...

Ok I have a few more questions :laugh: Firtsly during your puppies 'bonding' time when he's getting to know you, and you are the best thing on earth to him etc etc, do you leave the tv or a radio on for him at home? I'm asking as I have observed that if the tv is on in the home, pup is quite happy to stay by the fire and sleep, but if it's not on, he has to be with you no matter what room you are in. So I have decided to leave tv off. Is this what you would do? Also do you tie a pup up to start building drive, or do you just play with them in yard or in home? and if you don't tie them up do you still have a long lead on them when you are playing with them? The lead I am using on the shepherd is a lunge line for horses, but think it may be a bit too big and bulky to put on a little puppy? Ok question time over...............for now! :dropjaw:

K9: I personally (with a puppy) dont start this, I wont always have the radio at my disposal, I teach the dog to be happy in the crate..

The line should be light like the ones I had in Vic, no real distraction. We have those in 15 & 25 foot...

Ok that has just made me think of another question!! How does the puppy know that it's not being 'punished' by being put in it's crate or out in the yard? He acts like his throats been cut when you put him in either and I don't want him thinking he's being punished for something?!

Hi K9,

Firstly, thanks for running the workshop, it was great! The money for the martingale is on it's way I promise (just need to visit your site to see what other equipment I might want).

I have a question regarding the dog I brought along to the workshop, you might recall he kept crawling up in my lap. He's just turned 2 (the day after the workshop in fact) and lately has been really affectionate and clingy. I am wondering if this behavior might be age related? He was also recently desexed so maybe he's just starting to calm down? He still has a thing about some male dogs though, especially if they go near Mel my young bitch (10 mths old).

I also have a question regarding the prey drive article. Duncan retrieves a thrown ball and will bring it right back to us, even placing it directly into our hands. Now I know you said the thrown article does not really qualify as a prey article, so what drive is being satisfied here? Apologies if you already covered this in the workshop, there was a lot to absorb that day :thumbsup: .

Cheers,

Corine

i still have to DD the money for my ball-on-a-string... it's coming too, i promise... i am seriously flat broke atm... :(

and i have to appologise to all you lovely ppl who are after a dvd from me... i'm getting there... again comes down to money... i need another hard drive to be able to get ALL the tapes onto my pc and start editing... have been planning on getting one anyway but just havent been able to afford it :/

i WILL get it all done and sent off as soon as i'm able...

No pressure Scope just whenever you can :D

As I said earlier I'm willing to pay for it - you went to a lot of effort to bring gear and tape everything for the day, plus editing and consumables so if you need me to DD $$ earlier to help out I can! :thumbsup:

I put my hand up for willing to pay $$$ for the dvd. It was SUCH an informative day, with so much to take in! THe dvd would be a handy reference (particularly as i got there a bit late - traffic was alwful - and missed the first bit :thumbsup: )