Very Worried Parents

dekaffe

Hi Guys

My mum was home alone with our little Juggy when I got a call that he had just vomited. He's 10 weeks old and we only adopted him last week. She said that he ate half of his vomit straight after throwing up, and this has gotten me very worried :rofl:

A friend suggested that it could be a change of diet - well we fed him a brisket bone today covered in meat + fat which we havn't given to him before. Infact we have limited h is meat instake and have been feeding him Hills Puppy Original. Could the brisket be the cause?

If somebody could please shed some light that would be greatly appreciated....

Regards

Sameer

Hi Guys

My mum was home alone with our little Juggy when I got a call that he had just vomited. He's 10 weeks old and we only adopted him last week. She said that he ate half of his vomit straight after throwing up, and this has gotten me very worried :rofl:

A friend suggested that it could be a change of diet - well we fed him a brisket bone today covered in meat + fat which we havn't given to him before. Infact we have limited h is meat instake and have been feeding him Hills Puppy Original. Could the brisket be the cause?

Regards

Sameer

hey there,

where did u get the puppy from? pound? breeder?

if he loses his appetite and becomes lethargic get him to the vet str8 away

Hi Guys

Regards

Sameer

hey there,

where did u get the puppy from? pound? breeder?

if he loses his appetite and becomes lethargic get him to the vet str8 away

Hi,

We got him from a breeder near Newcastle. We can't tell yet if he has lost his appetite - He had his dinner than within 5-10 minutes through it back up. Then went looking for his bone. The bone was given to him during lunch though, not dinner.

Also today, we did take him to the park where others were walking their dogs. Is it possible he has picked up a disease :S He has another vaccination due at 12 weeks...

My 12 week old pup threw up his first chicken wing and then ate it again properly. He scoffed it first time. It was pretty gross to watch but have seen worse ;) Juggy might have scoffed his as well as he wasn't used to it.

Eating vomit is normal for dogs. I just pick it up straight away to stop them from doing it.

If he ate the vomit he's probably ok, eating vomit is pretty normal behaviour. I agree with the others, don't walk him in parks until he's had his 12 weeks vacc, I take mine out and about to to the shops, friends' houses etc, but I steer clear of parks or any other places frequented by large numbers of (maybe unvaccinated) strange dogs until the second vaccination.

Chelsea gulped down a chicken neck the other day (without chewing it!) threw it back up and then ate it again. Your puppy probably just ate too fast or wasn't used to the food.

But as the others said, don't take your pup to the park with other dogs until after the 2 week shots, its too risky!! If you need to walk your pup you could just walk on a footpath or road but it is still a risk. Try and wait if you can.

Mel

I own the sire of this puppy and arranged for dekaffe to meet up with the breeder :laugh:

I'm sure Juggy will be fine, the pups had been fed Hills dry along with beef mince so just stick to this for a while.

I find I can't feed my own dogs brisket bones anymore, tends to bind them up too much.

Please feel free to email me dekaffe - I have told you many times that I will answer any questions you may have.

I own the sire of this puppy and arranged for dekaffe to meet up with the breeder :laugh:

I'm sure Juggy will be fine, the pups had been fed Hills dry along with beef mince so just stick to this for a while.

I find I can't feed my own dogs brisket bones anymore, tends to bind them up too much.

Please feel free to email me dekaffe - I have told you many times that I will answer any questions you may have.

Hello there!

Thanks guys for the info, and Liana next time I will surely contact you for more serious matters such as this, completely slipped my mind.

Hows Spyder doing? It would great for the two to meet up some time in the future.

re: diet, if not brisket bones than what bones do you suggest i feed him? if any at all?

I know Bonnie used to feed the pups Hills dry food + mince, but when we bought the little fella home he would seperate all the mince from the dry food and eat only the mince! I was advised that the Hills diet is extremely nutritional and that I should try keeping him on a solely Hills diet until he learns to eat all his meals. Is this still the way to go?

Thanks eveyrone (and Liana) for your help.

P.s. no signs of weakness, lost appetite, and he is still actively biting my hand so hopefully Juggy will be fine :rofl:

Edited by dekaffe

Often when a puppy moves away from the litter there isn't that need to eat all the food (because he knows there aren't any siblings to steal it!).

If we have a fussy eater, we put the meal down for 15 minutes and if the puppy hasn't eaten it or has only eaten some and walked away we pickthe meal up and don't feed the puppy until the next meal. It won't take the pup long to realise that there are set meal times!

I can't stand fussy eaters and so far the above method has worked very well for us.

Spyder's going well, full of himself as usual and enjoying running with his "girls"...

Edited by AZIAH