Marking......me Eeek!

shoemonster

Over the last week, Eddie has decided to cock his leg on my leg twice, once last Sunday at the walk and once this sunday at school, just before class ;)

He is 10 months and un desexed (show dog) stafford

Any ideas why he would be doing this???

It's really gross

I think he is just staking his claim on you.

I have had Leo do this to me a couple of times. The last time he ended up at the vet and is now neutered.

Just tell Eddie about what happened to Leo and maybe he will adjust his actions accordingly. ;) :):rofl:

He's possibly going through doors ahead of you, staring at you when you call him but not coming immediately, getting under your feet or between you and whatever you are doing, being selectively deaf, attitude may have shifted somewhat from the affectionate puppy to a slightly more aloof dog...that sort of thing, just being a bit defiant....

"Who's the Boss?"

Tango's going through the same stage.....my fix is by cuddling him when he wants (which, btw is a dominance thing on his part), but then refusing point blank to let him go until he stops wriggling(that's me being more dominant than him)...it can take 5 minutes, is done in dead silence....the last time I won that battle I was sitting on the loo ;) The other thing is to stare them down until they avert their eyes (that can take 10 - 15 minutes if you have a young boy who wants to get to the top of the tree)... btw, many dogs get away with being dominant because they are so sneakly 'unobvious' about what they are doing......Tango's one of them....you have to be aware of what they are doing all the time, or you miss the tiny, but very significant signals.

The last dog (Dobermann) who marked me was a friend's dog, and he got a short, sharp obedience lesson at double pace with a lot of about turns....never did it again.......

Marking you is a sign that you are below them in the pecking order (according to them)

To fix it...I wrote an article a while ago with some hints here.... "How can I get to be the boss?"

Thanks TD

He has always been a sooky submissive boy but as he grows he is perhaps becoming non-aggressively dominant, he is very aloof all the time

He never guards toys or anything and I can take his meals and toys away without a problem, though he can be selectively deaf

We never let him get his own way with being on the couch/bed etc if we don't want him to be, we always make him get off, but I didn't think of the affection needing to be one sided, as he is like that

He does get in my way, but then when we get home he won't go inside until he knows I'm coming inside (he waits for me) so he is throwing mixed signals

Both times he has marked me I haven't been holding him, my OH has had him on his lead, is this strange?

the last time I won that battle I was sitting on the loo
;) that's hilarious

I do sometimes force him into cuddles so I might extend on this and push it further

Sorry if this post is confusing, I'm typing as I'm thinking!!! lol

Great articles, they are really helpful

After reading them and your post a few times over I realise a few things which will help in general life so I am glad that I posted about this! (I nearly didn't as it's abit embarrasing! lol)

We stupidly have believed that his attitude was sooky, as opposed to dominant, but this does make sense

Being new to dogs, i assumed dominance was more of a agro guarding thing, but now realise it isn't

Guest Wombat101

Axle marks me nearly every time we go over to my mums, but only if i am sitting lower than he is. He just casulaly comes up lifts his leg and thats it, he walks off like nothing has happened. He has never done it any where else, just when we are at mums! ;)

<snip>

Wonder what it was that I was doing that offended him!

It's called "the opportunity presented itself" ;)

The most dominant dogs are often the "SBD" (silent but deadly) type - because you don't know what they are up to or why they are doing it till they've hiked themselves over the top of you in the hierarchy and then start changing the rules on you...Tango's like this - you'd think he was a sook, but he's just very good at working out how to appease people (and get away with stuff)...his favourite trick atm is to ignore me when I tell him to drop in the car...stands just out of reach so if I swipe at him I miss.......then comes rushing up, plants himself with front feet on the console and stares at me from about 10" away with a smirk on his face...I have to try very hard not to laugh....

Dogspeak Rule #325.4: he who laughs loses.....

[edited because I think faster than I type....]

Edited by TangerineDream

:rofl: Well what does it mean when they come up after you've got all the washing off the line and in the basket and he comes and cocks his leg all over freshly cleaned clothes???? :laugh: You didn't do a good enough job and he wants you to do it again coz hes the boss???? :rofl: