Biting Leash When On Prong?

HELP!!

I have never had a problem with either dog biting the lead - but now, when ever Kaos in on the prong - she starts to bite it!

No idea how to stop this - as i never had the problem before!!

Ta guys

cin

HELP!!

I have never had a problem with either dog biting the lead - but now, when ever Kaos in on the prong - she starts to bite it!

No idea how to stop this - as i never had the problem before!!

Ta guys

cin

Have you thought that the dog might be trying to tell you something? :laugh:

K9: enlighten us, what is the dog trying to tell us?

:thumbsup: Without being seen to debate the use of the equipment, I merely wondered if it was being used incorrectly and, therefore, causing the animal discomfort.

That was in the absence of any suggestions, at that time, from more than one person and, in particular, the experts in its use.

H: Without being seen to debate the use of the equipment, I merely wondered if it was being used incorrectly and, therefore, causing the animal discomfort.

K9: Thats funny, with your comment asking if the OP had thought that dog was trying to tell her something, then adding a wink, I am really struggling to believe you were wondering anything, seemed more like a suggestion...

Dogs do this because they are looking for a new way to gain control of the handler, rather than the old ways of jumping on hanlders, pulling on leash, lunging etc etc which they can no longer do.... but Im sure you knew this right?

Dogs do this because they are looking for a new way to gain control of the handler, rather than the old ways of jumping on hanlders, pulling on leash, lunging etc etc which they can no longer do.... but Im sure you knew this right?

No, I did not know that was right!

The initial query was not directed at me, I merely jumped in to suggest that perhaps the dog was letting the handler know that it was uncomfortable in the absence of replies from others with more experience of the equipment.

As with any equipment if used incorrectly there is potential to cause discomfort. I'm sure you would be first to acknowledge that fact. The initial enquiry was, I thought, directed at the experts in the use of the equipment.

I get the distinct feeling that there is a concerted effort to cause a disagreeable flaming match and I'm past that. My unfortunate use of the emoticon seems to have caused everybody to become super defensive.

H: No, I did not know that was right!

The initial query was not directed at me, I merely jumped in to suggest that perhaps the dog was letting the handler know that it was uncomfortable in the absence of replies from others with more experience of the equipment.

K9: I am replying to you as I, like others it seems took your response unlike you say you meant it...

I know the initial query wasnt directed at you but, you go onto say that you suggested that perhaps the dog was letting the handler know that it was uncomfortable....

I cant see where in your first post in this thread (which is the one in which opinions were formed) you said anything at all like that... You asked what appeared to be a rhetorical question with a hint of sarcasm in the form of the wink....

H: As with any equipment if used incorrectly there is potential to cause discomfort. I'm sure you would be first to acknowledge that fact.

K9: of course I would, but the OP didnt explain how she was using the equaipment so I cant see how you came up with the impresson sjhe was miss using it?

H: The initial enquiry was, I thought, directed at the experts in the use of the equipment.

K9: then may I ask why you answered it? Are you an expert with the prong collar?

H: I get the distinct feeling that there is a concerted effort to cause a disagreeable flaming match and I'm past that.

K9: I really wouldnt have thought you were past it from your post... But when you say concerted effort, this I assume means you feel like the posters who asked you to clarify have all gotten together to question you?

I can tell you I was left out of that one...

H: My unfortunate use of the emoticon seems to have caused everybody to become super defensive

If I can offer you some advice, to help ease the defensive attacks you feel are present? Maybe it is wise not to make negative leading comments on pieces of equipment that people (including myself) are well aware that you dont like...

Whilst Im sure that your innocent of having a shot at the users of this type of training tool :thumbsup: in this case, people wont believe you....

I get the distinct feeling that there is a concerted effort to cause a disagreeable flaming match and I'm past that. My unfortunate use of the emoticon seems to have caused everybody to become super defensive.

Not quite the case, H. It was more the allusive and suggestive way you wrote it - the emoticon wink only served to confirm the tone. I don't see any posts that are defensive, though. We're talking about a prong collar. Nothing to be defensive about, IMO. :thumbsup:

If you were "wondering", would it not have been more helpful to the OP to have simply come out and say it, rather than posing it to allude to possible different connotations?

I was going to suggest as K9 did. IE Dog asserting its perceived right to govern/control the owner. At times, it can also be through a state of confusion - not understanding what's being asked of it (re-directing frustration at the lead), but then that is usually more trainer/handler error in not being as clear to the dog as required. Would you agree K9?

K9: yes I would Erny, this is the case with any type of training tool, however as the prong is so effective at restoring control to the handler, it sometimes happens so fast the dog isnt willing to just give up that easy & sometimes they offer alternate behaviours to regain control of the handler, one being leash biting anither being lying down trying to get the handler to go the direction the dog wants... There can be others obviosuly but these two are common....

Those who would suggest that the dog doesnt like the chosen piece of equipment would be right, I suppose just like I dont like speed cameras....

Terrorbull, I have the same problem with my Rotty trying to jump up, grab the lead, and play tug with it. I also hav a problem with her wanting to herd or 'stalk' me and wants me to chase her!

My only solution is to distract her with a quick series of, come fore, down, reward or quick heeling to get past the problem. I'm hoping to understand more of these issues after I've done some work with Steve on a 1 on 1 session

oh phleeeze

Half of dogs in Europe walk on prongs, they hardly have anything to do with promoting tools K9 uses....

do some research pass teh boardes of our cuntry you might find interesting stuff over there.

As for the list of retailers or wholesalers of prongs Im happy to provide, good luck getting them into the country tho.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I am now entirely convinced that all this thread was thrown as a "bait" in order to promote, yet again, the wonders of the tools K9force promotes!

:shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: Why? Because Terrorbull thanked EVERYONE?

The fact you keep posting in this thread and bumping it to the top, one could say you are trying to promote K9 Force also?

You’re being ridiculous!

H: I am now entirely convinced that all this thread was thrown as a "bait" in order to promote, yet again, the wonders of the tools K9force promotes!

K9: will you grow up...

Go search the word Halti & see how many times it comes up here, do you see me running around saying people are trying to promote haltis for the the company who makes them?

Noticed you failed to answer my questions, once again....