What Are "lamb Flaps"?

Picked up a couple of cheap "lamb flaps" at the butchers the other day. However, I'm not sure if I can feed them to my dog - she is a 12 mth old deerhound X - I'm just a bit concerned as the butcher said that some of the bones can be hard & crack, instead of the dog just eating them normally (like chicken necks & wings)????? Only had her a few days, and I know that I want to go "raw" with her at some stage, but guess I'm just learning. Probably should have just got chicken necks first up :laugh:

:)

Lamb flaps are whats left over from the ribs on the sheep, I have fed lamb flaps, neck etc to working (kelpies & BC's) dogs and Rotties for years with never a problem, they are high in fat and are good for getting weight on a dog.

I have fed them to 4 month old pups and upwards, maybe you should watch your dog when you give them to him if

he has never had them before he may try to eat too fast and choke, as with any new food make sure he is safe and knows what to do with it.

As with all bones they should be fed raw, I personally never feed my dogs chicken necks as I have had pups choke on them

but wings and thigh pieces are fine as long as they are raw.

like I said just keep an eye on him :laugh:

Maybe somebody on DOL who has more experience with Wolf/deer Hounds might be able to help with diet better :D

Thanks Rusty - I would of course feed them raw. I think I might save them until tomorrow night when I can watch her - she doesn't seem to inhale her kibble, and enjoys a marrow bone, but as you say, I would be best to watch her.

So, dumb question, do your dogs just crunch the bones in the lamb flaps like chicken wings??? Sorry, a real newbie here.

I just feed mine in fair sized chunks - so they have to be chewed.

No problem, but they do tend to be fatty. I try to get ones with the least fat and don't feed too many of them.

Mine gets her chicken necks about half frozen and stuck together, so she has to work at it a bit before she swallows. She has slowed down a lot since coming here because there are no other dogs competing with her for food. :D

:laugh:

Each of my dogs *love* their lamb flaps, even my tiny dog Molly. I just ensure she gets an appropriate-sized piece...

Lamb flaps are great but if your dog needs to lose weight, probably best to trim the fat first. Every dog figures out to crunch the bones up...it's instinct but in some dogs, that has been temporarily forgotten b/c they've been fed processed all their lives. :laugh:

My dogs get lamb flaps once a week or sometimes twice a week. They are raw fed and get a wide variety of meaty bones every week. I only wish I could get whole rabbit at a reasonable price (and have just heard of a source, so maybe I'll try that soon). :D

Thanks for the replies guys - I'll try her tomorrow and see how she goes. The ones that I got didn't look too fatty. I have to take her to the vet to get her vaccination in the next few days - I don't think she's overweight - RSPCA said that she could probably gain a little, but I don't agree with this, so I'll probably ask the vet.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update - Stormy's had some small pieces of lamb flaps (~ 150g) with her kibble two nights in a row.... watched like a hawk by her nervous mummy. Initially she didn't quiet know what to do with them and ate her kibble first :vomit: , but then she played with them a little and slowly crunched them up :rolleyes: So, it looks like I've been blessed with a dog who isn't a greedy eater. I gave her her first chicken wing this morning, also watching her like a hawk - again, slowly crunched it up.

Thanks again guys for the advice & support.

my guys LURV their lamb flaps, pity my butcher doesn't sell them cheap! I get them chopped into 2-3 pieces and they are scoffed down within seconds. They aren't hard for the dogs to eat, not like leg bones. Rib bones especially on young animals like lambs are soft and have a high % of cartilage.

my greyhound girl loves them.

and i realised now the reason why she has been putting on weight. there is just too much fat on them. hmmm... i must remember to trim off the fats.

i gave some to my whippet girl and the next day she has weird looking greenish poo. I suspect it is the lamb flaps (woolies calls them "lamb off-cuts").

it could be that she is not used to the high fat contents in them.

Lamb "off cuts" and Lamb "flaps" are usually different things, although the "off cuts" can contain flap,. At our local Woolies, the "off cuts" are usually just chunks of fat and bone. The Flaps are more expensive - but at least thay do containe SOME meat - and one can pick though to get the meatier ones.

:thumbsup: