Ankle Biting

fordltd

We have a 3 months old german sheppard who will not stop ankle biting .We have tried everything from yelling to ignoring .It has its own toys to play with but still bites everyone on the ankles even other dogs.Please help

German shepherds are herders and this is their life. I'm sure some gsd owners will give advice but in the meantime my GSP pup was biting me. Each time he did it I would stand still and ignore it. As soon as he stopped I would reach down and give him a big pat and tell him what a good boy he was. This works fine but takes a little time. Bruno now rarely nips me at 14 weeks.

When you say you've tried everything, this may actually be the problem. Dogs get confused if you keep changing the rules. Decide on what you want to do to stop the biting, follow the rules all the time and make sure everyone else (if there are more people) does too. Calm and consistency is the key IMO.

Good luck

Some dogs don't respond to ignoring (like my pup! He just barges his way back in or does something to catch your attention), so maybe you should find the 'punishment' that best suits your pup. My german shepherd hates getting sprayed in his face with one of those spray bottles, so all I have to do is say 'no!' and give him a little squirt (or even just show him the bottle) and it's an instant problem solver. Blade won't nibble or bite toes and legs anymore which is a real helper.

Some dogs don't respond to ignoring (like my pup! He just barges his way back in or does something to catch your attention), so maybe you should find the 'punishment' that best suits your pup. My german shepherd hates getting sprayed in his face with one of those spray bottles, so all I have to do is say 'no!' and give him a little squirt (or even just show him the bottle) and it's an instant problem solver. Blade won't nibble or bite toes and legs anymore which is a real helper.

When Riley (Kelpie X) was a pup he used to do the same thing. As soon as we walk he thought it was a huge game to run up and try and "Catch" out ankles.

I used to stop, say No firmly and put him in the laundry for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes he could come out. If he did it again he'd go back in the laundry for another 5 minutes.

Luckily this worked very well for us and it didnt take long for him to stop this behaviour.

We have a 3 months old german sheppard who will not stop ankle biting .We have tried everything from yelling to ignoring .It has its own toys to play with but still bites everyone on the ankles even other dogs.Please help

try carrying around one of his toys and when he starts biting on your ankles redirecting him onto the toy, once he starts playing with the toy give him lots of praise