Long Recall Leash?

nylon will burn the skin off your hands if the dogs pulls it and it gets heavy when it gets damp. Good luck though

Ain't that the truth .... has happened to me. Sliced the tip off one finger and sliced through a couple of other fingers. :cry: "Pain" was an understatement. Worst of it was, it wasn't my lead ;) .... I was saving the guy's dog from running across the road after the dog got away from him.

In the absence of having something else more suitable on hand, on one occasion, I used a horse lunge line (webbing). Far too heavy and tangled much more easily than the lightweight long-lines ADT sell. Oh, HR, I think they come in 9 metre lengths too, if you wish, although I enjoy working with the 7mtr length.

Edited by Erny

Going slightly off topic here, but will a dog behave differently if it feels it doesn't have a leash on? We only ever train off leash in the backyard at the moment, and always on leash at the park. So... would a (young) dog who trains mostly on leash react differently if they couldn't feel the weight of the leash? Bear in mind that this is the first time I've actually gone to obedience school, working towards maybe going to obedience trials one day, so everyday I'm learning something new (actually it feels like 100 new things) ;) We've only being going to classes since February ;)

That sounds really painful Erny!! I never considered that a leash could hurt me, until I burnt the skin off the backs of my knees with one of those flexi-leash cords :cry:

You can get leashes made to whatever length you want at Challenge Dog Supplies, in Brookvale, Sydney. They make collars and leashes at the shop (more a groomer supply place but anybody can go there), if you ask they will make whatever you want. Great prices too.

Indi and I were promoted at obedience school, and our class is practising off leash recalls, but I don't feel she is ready to be off leash (she's still only a pup, and being a border collie the temptation of herding everything that moves is just too much- I'm terrified she will bolt)

Just a thought while reading your thread.Of course, LOL, ignore if not worthwhile. In my experience, from obedience classes, many want to keep up with the Jones's. Do not follow the crowd, if you feel your dog is not ready for off lead work, for heeling and recalls.

Regarding your question, I have three long ropes. One a very good quality horse lunging type, about $125.00 from memory. Another being a cheap horse nylon one, which floats. I am very careful with it, with friends dogs who may be a little keen to go (and retrieve). Also I watch legs which may entangle while swimming. My last one is sail rope, longer than the others and like a razorblade, if caught out.

Another thing to keep in mind, is the physical pain from a dogs point of view if they are possessed by the devil and try to bolt away. Again careful. They can receive skeletal injuries -plus cuts, bruises and the like, just as us when a rope is employed.

Just a thought while reading your thread.Of course, LOL, ignore if not worthwhile. In my experience, from obedience classes, many want to keep up with the Jones's. Do not follow the crowd, if you feel your dog is not ready for off lead work, for heeling and recalls.

Regarding your question, I have three long ropes. One a very good quality horse lunging type, about $125.00 from memory. Another being a cheap horse nylon one, which floats. I am very careful with it, with friends dogs who may be a little keen to go (and retrieve). Also I watch legs which may entangle while swimming. My last one is sail rope, longer than the others and like a razorblade, if caught out.

Another thing to keep in mind, is the physical pain from a dogs point of view if they are possessed by the devil and try to bolt away. Again careful. They can receive skeletal injuries -plus cuts, bruises and the like, just as us when a rope is employed.

Yes, I'm always worried about her damaging her neck or spine, so I put her in a harness when she's on her flexi-leash at the park (probably not ideal, but it takes away the jerk when she takes off after the birds and forgets she's on a leash).

Indi's by far the youngest in our class, with the second youngest dog being about 18 months or so. The other members will walk out about 10 metres when they do the recall- offleash- which is something I don't want to attempt yet. I'm starting to find as we progress, people seem to get more and more competitive just at the classes... I just do my best to make sure Indi has fun :cry: My instructor says I have a very boisterous dog, so I feel I have to be extra careful!

Lablover, everyone's advice is worthwhile to me ;) I'm a complete novice, and I would probably have still been searching for a long recall leash, or bought one that wouldn't have been suitable for my pup, if people here hadn't of helped me out ;) Thanks guys!

nylon will burn the skin off your hands if the dogs pulls it and it gets heavy when it gets damp. Good luck though

Ain't that the truth .... has happened to me. Sliced the tip off one finger and sliced through a couple of other fingers. ;) "Pain" was an understatement. Worst of it was, it wasn't my lead ;) .... I was saving the guy's dog from running across the road after the dog got away from him.

OUCH!!!!

i'm in pain just thinking about it.

cotten will also give you a nice burn i lern't that the hard way to, my hand was white and swolen from the line, and some how it wraped around my leg and burnt it to. dog thought it was great fun though watching the dance. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

The nylon webbing lunge leads also give a nasty burn (although it was the horse that gave it to me!!) a ligerer rope one is good and u can reuse it if u get into tracking!!!

dont let them get to you about the distance, make sure the recall is solid before trying to increase distance as in a club situation the further you get away there is more for the dog to notice :laugh: