Noisy Dobermann

After sucessfully training our beautiful big GSD into a well rounded behaved dog my Hubby and I decided to add to the family, enter Harley, our Dobermann. Harley is nearly one year old and I just cant seem to get a handle on his constant winging.

Harley usually starts winging and wining (never barks) at about 5-5.30am and will not stop until I go downstairs and stop him. Given we do not have a huge backyard I either walk them or take them to the off leash beach every day.

I have tried controlled crying with him, slighty changing times so he does not get into such a routine, ignoring him. Making him sit and settle but to no avail.

He also does this at dinner time and to a lesser extent when I get home from work. He is a beautiful loving dog but is driving me and I imagine my neighbours crazy.

Any suggestions?

Well, I have no easy answer - our present one does winge a bit- but I know I've spoilt her - :love:

They do like to be with you. Mine would be under my feet 24/7 if I let her. I guess it is a compliment, but sometimes I nearly fall over her!

Is the Dobe with the GSD at these times? Or are they separated?

Do they have toys, kongs, a warm bed etc? I know mine is more restless if her bed is uncomfortable for some reason. :cheer:

When ours starts up, we firmly send her to her bed, tell her "down", praise her for doing that, "stay" and leave it. If she starts again, same process, but she has never been as persistent as yours seems to be.

They can be strong-willed - just like kids can. :(

:cheer:

Dobes are notorious for whinning.

Did you get Harley as a pup or as an older dog??

If an older dog what /where did he come from & do you now what his routine was in the past.

The key is dont give him but you need to try & figure out what he wants & find a happy ground

I dont know that many that dont whinge :D

Mine whinges as well, I just ignore it and eventually he stops.

He has learned though, that if he really really wants something and the whinging doesnt work he picks up a squeeky toy, places it on the floor and than steps on it making it squeeeeeeeek and squeeeeeeek :mad

Very entertaining, on occasion gets him somewhere :rofl:

But if I ignore his antics for long enough he just stops, its just a game of who can do it for longer.

And believe me some can go for looooooooooooooooooong time.

noisymina do you also get presents?

Mine gives me his toys, he doesnt want me to play with him, they are just presents as it a look Ill swap you :mad

All of these activities are them trying to make you do something, lets face it.

If you do what they want they learn to control you. Simple.

No, I don't get "presents".

But if I dare to stop and stand or sit with "unoccupied" hands - she's right there instantly - nudge, nudge.

A lot of the time I just automatically start patting her - specially if I am talking to someone - and she knows it. If I ignore her, she will go to the next person and do the same thing. Any guests we have are "trained" very quickly. Although there are exceptions - occasionally we get someone here that she will not go near.

And yep, they will control you as much as you allow. :D

That is why they are not usually recommended as a "beginners" dog.

:mad

Ruben whinges as well but only when he wants something like to come inside, he is cold or hungry or he wants to do some training. Its easily fixed, just give them everything that they want. Problem solved. :rofl:

Dobes are so smart they train their owners so easily. :clap:

My boy is a pathetic sook, but everyone in this household knows that even LOOKING at me before I have decided it is time to get up and I've had at least three sips of coffee is a very dangerous thing to do !!!

He sleeps inside and if he wakes before me he gets sent out to the doghouse and I go back to bed :rofl:

Lets just say that doesn't happen often :clap:

One night Flame decided she didnt need to go to the toilet before bed. The result was a 3am wake up call (a bit of whining followed by more insistent barking) until I took her out.

Well, after that she decided that going out at 3am to play in the moonlight was fantastic and whined again the next night. I took her out again as I didnt know if she'd been to the toilet before bed or not....

The next night I took her outside before bed, shutting all the doors and told her to go to the toilet. I waited until she finished then I took her inside and put her in her crate. At 3am the whining started again. She got told in a very growly sleep deprived voice to be quiet. A couple of minutes later she tried again and she got nothing but silence in return. After a couple of sorry for herself whimpers, the noise stopped.

The next night she slept through until normal wake-up time. Ah, the bliss of waking up after a full nights sleep!

This is one time that Flame didnt get her own way!! :rofl:

Well, I have no easy answer - our present one does winge a bit- but I know I've spoilt her - :mad

They do like to be with you. Mine would be under my feet 24/7 if I let her. I guess it is a compliment, but sometimes I nearly fall over her!

Is the Dobe with the GSD at these times? Or are they separated?

Do they have toys, kongs, a warm bed etc? I know mine is more restless if her bed is uncomfortable for some reason. :thumbsup:

When ours starts up, we firmly send her to her bed, tell her "down", praise her for doing that, "stay" and leave it. If she starts again, same process, but she has never been as persistent as yours seems to be.

They can be strong-willed - just like kids can. :rofl:

:rofl:

Thanks for all of your responses. The Dobe and the GSD are together all the time - I only ever seperate them if the playing and afternoon zoomies gets too rough. They have kongs, toys, trampoline beds (harley has a coat at night to keep him warm) so the essentials are there. Plus nearly 100% of my attention when I am home. I guess I feel better knowing I am not the only one.

So be it if there is a bit of whinging - he is worth it!!!!!

Sorry I havn't replied earlier - just logged onto the computer and being a first time poster I really didn't expect such a big response.

PS - all your dobes are gorgeous

Looks like the earplugs might be the best option!!!!