What Crate Size?

ptero5

Hi there, new to this. Am getting a miniature schnauzer puppy in 4-6 weeks. I was thinking of getting a crate for house training and travel - any idea what size I need so that she can grow in to it?

I would get a medium- I have a large for my female whippet which according to the breed standard is about 6cm average taller than a miniature schnauzer, and I like to have room for them to stetch out so I get slightly larger than what is recommended.

According to the rudducks site, medium is suitable for cocker spaniels and beagles (76x54x61):

http://www.rudducks.com.au/pdf/Dog/Port-A-Home & Port-A-Pen.pdf

Thanks for the advice and the website - all good stuff :rofl:

I would get a medium- I have a large for my female whippet which according to the breed standard is about 6cm average taller than a miniature schnauzer, and I like to have room for them to stetch out so I get slightly larger than what is recommended.

According to the rudducks site, medium is suitable for cocker spaniels and beagles (76x54x61):

• 2 months later...

wish I had read this earlier, I have just ordered a medium one for our whippet puppy......will that be big enough? And can you not lay paper at one end of the crate so she can pee in there during the night?

Whippy it will be big enough, Coco could sleep easily in one half the size of hers, but in summer she likes to stretch out and I like her to have plenty of room. If I bought another for a whippet I would probably get a medium though :laugh:

If your whippet is capable of holding for 5 or 6 hours, I would not encourage her to go in her crate. Firstly, they are clean animals and don't like to wet the area they sleep in. Secondly because if you are training her to paper when you have a crate, she will get confused when you take the paper out- better off just teaching her to wake you up if she needs to go straight up rather than trying to train her to paper then train her differently later.

To make it easier, feed her the nightly meal well before bedtime, limit her water intake before bed (with my grey up we had to put the water up an hour before bed because he drank for the joy of drinking and was up all night weeing). Then just decide if you want her to whine to wake you up, or set your alarm for a reasonable amount of time she could hold for then get up to let her out and back in, gradually extending the amount of time she is left for until she can hold overnight easily (which isn't as long as you think!)

Then just decide if you want her to whine to wake you up

And what do you do when they whine 'cos they are bored and want out to play?

Coda started around 3:00 am this morning. First he whined to get out & really wanted a drink. Then half an hour later he whined and wanted out to toilet. Ok fair enough.

Then he whimpered on and off until around 4:30 when he turned it on - max scratching, whining, howling etc. I ignored him, thinking if I went downstairs this would only encourage him. But he didn't shut up until I let him out his crate around 6:00.

Really really tired today....

This is what we do.....

Bailey goes outside for a potty break at around 9.30 then into his crate. He may carry on a little bit but not normally. If he crys at night I take him out of the crate. I carry him. I take him straight outside. I give him 10mins (he has normally gone and done his business in just a minute or two and as soon as he has its back inside into the crate). After 10mins I bring him back inside and put him in his crate. We don't feed or water him at night after he has gone to bed. We don't play or talk with him except to give him his command to go potty and some well dones if he goes. At night it is really low key. Everything kept quiet and dark. It doesn't matter how many times Bailey gets me up we take him outside and then back in the crate. He will soon learn that he has 10 mins potty time only if he crys and will start sleeping through.