Praise For New Kibble

I've just finished off a bag of the Eagle Pack and wasn't overly impressed........... I've been sent some Nutro samples (Thank you! :mad ), the dogs liked it, so off to buy a bag soon!

Guest Piximatosis

Price-wise, the lamb & rice formulas (which are guaranteed to improve skin and coat) are about $95 for 15kg.

Chicken-based formulas (like maintenance, large breed maintenance) are about $85 for 15kg.

So it's quite similar to brands like Eukanuba ($85 for 15kg large breed maint, just over $100 for 15kg lamb and rice) and Nutrience ($83 for 15kg supreme, $85 for 15kg lamb and rice).

Tilly (Mini Schnauzer) also had gas on the lamb formula but I switched her to Sensitive which is chicken and oatmeal based and all gas problems ceased. w00t!

Edited by Piximatosis

Yesterday I bought a 2kg bag of Nutro (thinking that I might get a bit lazy) to try it - as a way to reduce the amount of time/effort in keeping up with the BARF mixes.

WOW - it cost me $18.95 for the one small pack. :confused:

And it only has 2 months to the "use by" date - so, considering it is only a small part of her (proposed) diet, a larger bag is out of the question.

According to the pack, she would need somewhere between 255 and 470g per day (as a full feed).

If she needs, say 350g per day, even at the cheaper price of $85 for 15kg, it is almost $14 a week.

At the price I paid, it comes to $23.30 per week.

At the moment, we are running about $10 - $11 per week to give her an approximation of a BARF diet.

There is nothing in the Nutro ingredients list that either she does not already get, or could not easily be added to her BARF mix - or is not needed - eg there is a lot of cereal type stuff, including wheat flour. Her slice of toast each morning would account for any need for wheat flour anyway. :D And bread comes a lot cheaper than $7-9 per kg. I also have an entire bag of rice bran in the shed - and that doesn't come in at $7-9 per kg either. Chicken frames come in at $1-60kg from a local supplier I've found etc.

So much for gettting out of doing the BARF mixes. :rofl: :p

:p

I'd not be basing her food amount guide on what the bag says...for any food - My GSD gets waaay less then his recommended daily intake...lol.

Which is funny as i stopped feeing barf because i was having to feed anywhere up to 4 times the recommened amount for size and age in an effort to stop him from looking as if he was starved :p

Edited to clarify the food guide comment - so much depends on the dog...as often as not if i fed my dogs the 'recommended amount' they'd be fat! Way to go is feed what you think...then increase or decrease depending on the condition of the dog...etc etc

Edited by KitKat

Yep, it's funny alright, KitKat.

Mine is getting fat on BARF. :D

She should be around 30kg - last weigh-in was 31.7, down from 32.

Maybe 31kg would be OK. She's probably building up a bit of muscle. :rofl:

That's on about 350g meaty bones and about 100g of her "mix". Oh, and her slice of toast and vegemite :rofl:

If we went on the recommendation of 2-3% body weight, she would need about 150g to 400g MORE. :rofl:

Maybe she would be the reverse on dry kibble - who knows? But I'm not going to try.

Ater all, if it ain't broken, why try to fix it? :p

Interesting how the dogs can vary so much,

Frustrating that we can't come to one easy solution - and save ourselves a heap of time, effort and $$$$$. :confused:

Ater all, if it ain't broken, why try to fix it? :p

Exactly! :rofl:

Interesting how the dogs can vary so much,

Frustrating that we can't come to one easy solution - and save ourselves a heap of time, effort and $$$$$. :confused:

Tell me about it...lmao - I'm just glad that the pup is doing well on what i give him :p It's looking like i will be able to feed him what my older GSD gets once the pup's on adult food as well. That's something at least! :D

It's looking like i will be able to feed him what my older GSD gets once the pup's on adult food as well. That's something at least!

That would be the worst feeding nightmare - two dogs on opposite diets. :confused:

I knew there was a reason we only have one! :p

:p It's bad enough that ones on puppy food and the other on adult...not to mention that the big fella has slowed his intake of food which is great...just in time for the pup to eat me out of house and home :confused: