Have You Ever Made Big Mistakes In Judgement

I am sitting here, thinking about a reply to a thread, when a meter reader was frightened by my dogs chasing him. For such well behaved dogs I admit I felt terribly guilty, even though my dogs sat on command.

Another incident, was when I was training Peppa. After training, and walking out to the pile of bumpers/dummies I have left, with all my dogs running about, a rabbit flushed and before I knew it, Peppa was on a busy railway line.

A third incident, was with Yank, at K9's/SARDOG seminar when Yank escaped and visited another dog, who could have had serious aggression problems.

It may be interesting to hear of our mistakes (and learn from them), rather than our dogs, LOL.

Com on guys and gals own up.

I am in such a good mood, just picked up our 12 year old from the vet who had six lipomas removed. Sending one just in case, but the vets think it is a waste of time, but me being me, want to make sure.

Oz is continuing to cope well in quarantine and while I visit.

Yank is amazing.

Stamp and Peppa are great.

And husband wants take a way AGAIN tonight.

I am blessed.

My OH and I used to ask our boys to go out every time OH went to the back door for a ciggy (when we were house training initially)... they got a treat when they did a wee. Now every time they hear the lighter 'click' they are bouncing around like goofy idiots *sigh*

The other one was thinking that Gingko would come back when we called. The day after we got him, he was startled by the chooks (der!)and broke through the fence, we searched for four days and when we finally found him in a huge paddock, we called and he galloped off in the other direction! No way you can catch a greyhound when they bolt. We were lucky that a farmers' wife cornered him after he crossed the snowy river to visit their dogs, they locked him in the bitches' box and being straight fron the kennels, he was happy as Larry there! I lost 5 kg looking for him every waking minute though so it wasn't all bad :rolleyes:

Guest Clover

Ohh i have a few :D.

Lesson # 1 never take your eyes of your dogs at offlead area's. 2 rabbits have lost their lives when i have not been closely watching Clover dog at parks.

Lesson # 2 keep ball mad dogs onlead when people are playing soccar at the park ;). Elvis and Miss Tinny think they cane join in when ever they want...take note children usually are not impressed with this.

Lesson # 3 i'll back to you on this one let me think some more :rolleyes:.

I taught my dog to target (nose touching) my hand

I forget why.... what is in Erny's sig, something about having a goal in mind :rolleyes:

Anyway now whenever you reach down to try and pat her she shoves her nose in your hand, If you put your hand out as in....go outside, or "the balls over there" she'll target my hand, even jumping up to do it.

If you put your hand out to signal a "stay" she'll run over and target it ;)

The look on her face is....aren't I clever, this is what you want eh ?

My family and any visitors know to keep their hands in their pockets now, to avoid the persistent wet nose poker that she's become.

All my fault :D

Edited by MaxSpots

Lesson # 2 keep ball mad dogs onlead when people are playing soccar at the park :D. Elvis and Miss Tinny think they cane join in when ever they want...take note children usually are not impressed with this.

I can relate to this, my Goldie managed to puncture someone's soccer ball .......... ;)

Thankfully it wasn't their shiny new one, but an old one. They ended up giving it to us as it was no longer useful to them...... we slunk away very sheepish!! :rolleyes:

When Mac and I moved out of my parents place, he went on a strict diet and lost those 4 extra kgs. Then he was able to get out under the gate. :rolleyes: Luckily, being the lovey sniff-and-pee-dog he is, he walked across down the road a little way, and then across it. So he was just across the road when I realised. Still, not good, but my 'mistake in judgement' was thinking weightloss was good. :p

I regret teaching the 'scary' command (covers his eyes). Mac believes this is the ultimate trick and will get him anything. :D But I guess that's the same as the 'take a bow command' before that, and the 'speak' command before that. :rofl: His newest trick is always his favourite. ;)

I taught my dog to target (nose touching) my hand

I forget why.... what is in Erny's sig, something about having a goal in mind :rolleyes:

Anyway now whenever you reach down to try and pat her she shoves her nose in your hand, If you put your hand out as in....go outside, or "the balls over there" she'll target my hand, even jumping up to do it.

If you put your hand out to signal a "stay" she'll run over and target it ;)

The look on her face is....aren't I clever, this is what you want eh ?

My family and any visitors know to keep their hands in their pockets now, to avoid the persistent wet nose poker that she's become.

All my fault :D

LOL... I WISH my doggies were so responsive!

ANYWAYS, put a sticky note on your hand and teach to target THAT instead... that way you can move your target around and cut it smaller and smaller until she gets the message to target what you want!

(I don't know much about training so correct me if I'm off track here)

LOL... I WISH my doggies were so responsive!

ANYWAYS, put a sticky note on your hand and teach to target THAT instead... that way you can move your target around and cut it smaller and smaller until she gets the message to target what you want!

(I don't know much about training so correct me if I'm off track here)

Good plan Imy, thanks

problem is I didn't teach her a command with the target, or that part didn't sink in, so I can't turn her off.

She see's open hand and nose goes in, no matter what you are doing :rolleyes:

Lablover it is so good to know that even a trainer as good as you has made some mistakes!! gives me hope, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing...

i'd tell a few of my own but i am sure no one could believe such stupidity existed in an owner. :rolleyes:

yup ... here's a doozy ...

was trying to teach the malinois to speak but instead she was making snappy teeth at me. Accidentally rewarded her for that ...

now i have a dog that is COMPLETELY SILENT but still doing the actions ... taking me ages to get her to actually make a noise past "clack clack clack"

Oh so many where do I start...... My latest heart in mouth moment was when running Raj on my pushy along a fire break, I was slack and didn't put him on lead to go past an open gate (which goes onto a busy road, well busy for here) and he ran out of it, he came back when called, but if he had run into a rabbit or a fox I would have had no hope of getting him back.

problem is I didn't teach her a command with the target, or that part didn't sink in, so I can't turn her off.

MS

Start the trick all over again but change cues ie instead of a open hand use a clenched fist, make the presentation of the target clear ie before you present your fist have your arm in a certain position I have my fist resting on my chest and them I present it fast for only a couple of secs, I don't leave it hanging around waiting for the dog to touch it, I bring my fist back up to my chest. When the dog has touched confidently about 4-5 times I add a verbal cue a nanosecond before I present my target. Then I only reward cued touches.

If you do this and reward it lots and ignore all other uncued touches she should stop throwing that behaviour at you. Just some thoughts.

My first attempt at getting a dog to target to a stick went horribly wrong and I ended up with a dog that was sliding her nose up and down this stick with her eyes fixated on the clicker willing it to go, very cute, but certainly not what I was aiming for :dropjaw: I have never been able to get a dog to do a duration target with their nose as well again :rofl:

cheers

M-J

Guest Clover

Nekhbet i did the same with Clover, it takes her ages to work up a bark :dropjaw:. I now only reward good loud barking.. the clicker is my best friend when working with her.

was trying to teach the malinois to speak but instead she was making snappy teeth at me. Accidentally rewarded her for that ...

now i have a dog that is COMPLETELY SILENT but still doing the actions ... taking me ages to get her to actually make a noise past "clack clack clack"

Maybe you could use the command 'whisper' instead of 'speak' :dropjaw:

We had some trouble teaching one of our dogs to heal (sit close on the left side).... as he used to sit about half a metre away.

Well he has now learnt to sit closer ... basically he sits on your foot with his body plastered up against you and this nose pointing up at you and also resting again you. Unfortunately he also does it at high speed which involves 60kg hurtling towards you and knocking you over if you are not prepared. It is basically brace yourself and then call "heal"....

I have the mental picture...too funny! :dropjaw:

I taught Ruby to "speak" before I threw a ball for her to retrieve. Problem now is that whenever I have a ball in my hand, she won't shut up until I throw it. Completely MY fault...she's just wanting me to throw the ball and doing *exactly* what I taught her to do. :rofl::(

Lablover it is so good to know that even a trainer as good as you has made some mistakes!! gives me hope, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing...

Oh dear, you humble me so. Thanks, I think!!!!!!!