Dogs Perfume..

I'm with spoiltlabs - Lustre Aid is what we use here - we don't use it regularly though - only when we remember. That is usually when we clip their nails, as it's kept with the nail clippers - so once ever 1-2 months? They usually smell nice from their Fido's dog wash, so don't really require it after their bath.

But Lustre Aid isn't really that expensive - like $12 for a 100ml spray??? We bought one AGES ago, and not even half empty. Guess it depends how often you use it?

-WithEverythingIAm

I use lavender aromacare on mine when they get washed - but they dont really stink between times. They get bathed about every 3 months .

Another product i have tried and love is the Squirts deodorant/detangler. They also have a shampoo. Available at most pet shops, and quite reasaonable as it lasts a while.

My friend actually develops the dog fragrances for 3 major companies in Australia ;) He tests them out on his own dogs and if he can't still smell it after a week, he goes back to the drawing room and starts over :)

This is one case where "Tested on animals" is a bonus :o

Maggie prefers to select her own fragrances. One of her favorites - Palmolive Gold - I quite like. Not so keen on her other two faves - Eau de Fox Poo and Eau de Water Fowl (or should I say, Foul :) ).

Smithy is a hard coated terrier that is weather resistent and all my research has discouraged Cairn terriers being bathed more than a couple of times a years as this breaks down and "softens" the coate. I also cant use leave in conditioners as this makes a greasy mess. This is what I do that has been recomended by breeders.

groom frequently to get rid of dead coate that is old and stinks.

If they do get smelly spray the coate with water and a couple of drops of essential oil (I use lavender).

An alternative is spray with listerine mixed with 2 thirds water (interesting smell, I use peppermint flavour one, I only use in smelly emergencies, normally when poo is involved :) ).

Personally I think doggy perfumes are over priced (like so many other thing involved with dogs) and a bit of essential oil works just as well, and it costs about 2 dollars at the reject shop.

Hi Smithy The Cairn :laugh:

I do agree with you about the essential oils but you've gotta watch it - a lot of the oils sold at the Reject shop and similar are actually cheap synthetic fragrances in an oil base - usually dipropylene glycol (sp?). It's much better to pay more for the real thing :) Real plant extracts and good oils for the skin.

Also no matter if the fragrance base is genuine or not (ie NATURAL), some dogs are just outright allergic to certain herbs or fragrant plants. The chances of this increase if the oils are just fake fragrance.

You are lucky that your dog does not seem to be having a reaction to your choice so if it works for you, that's great. :o The difference is that doggy fragrances are specifically designed to suit the skin of DOGS :rofl: ;)

Also, if my dogs rolled in poo - there's no way I'd be spraying it with something pretty to cover it up!! :rofl: That dog would SO be in the tub :laugh: Also Plush Puppy have a fantastic range especially suited to wirey coats - it's called "Ruffy-Tuffy" or something :)

I have never had a problem with any of the dogs smelling........

That was until I got a pug........ she is a gorgeous girl, but OMG she is smelly :)

I bought some doggy perfume for her because I couldnt bath her every second day.

The brand I bought is "PRO-GROOMER" (made by Ruddocks) and the scent is 'fresh berry' and it is devine.

125ml bottle was $9.50

Much better than a pongey puggy :o

I use 'final touch' but have used lusture aid before. You can still smell it on him about 1wk after putting it on, but the strong scent (not overpowering) lasts for about 1day. I like the idea of doing a 50/50 with water. I only use it coz my dog goes to nursing homes and I don't think they like the smell of a muddy dog and I don't want to wash him every week :). When I get a show dog i'd use it on that too, but I do LOVE the smell LOL