Instructor Training Courses?

When I went to the pet component of my club (there are pet and trialling classes) the instructor was Delta trained. He got his definitions of classical and operant conditioning mixed up. He was trying to explain to the class that Pavlov's Dogs uses the same methods as obedience training - and was calling them both operant conditioning. I had already done the NDTF course at that stage but was good and held my tongue :D but did not go back to the pet classes and only go to the trialling classes now.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the discussion folks it's been interesting. In my earlier post I commented on how I hadn't finished the Delta course, that's why I can't rate it overall. I did find the intensive very rewarding, with intersting and informative speakers, but it was just that - intensive! Personally I was disadvantaged in some ways as the dog I had planned to take along was recovering from major unplanned surgery, so I was dogless and had to borrow a dog for the practicals. In other ways that was a good thing as I wasn't burdened by a wriggling working dog so I could give full attention to the instructors.

They do cram a lot into the intensive, my one gripe is that it is just too much in 1 week. As a current student StaffNToller may have benefited from some of the feedback we gave Delta after the intensive last year. I don't recall even being shown a Prong Collar during the live equipment demos for instance, perhaps an example of feedback left by past students. All courses evolve over time so the experiences of a student one year ago may not be so relevant to the current offering.

I did find the mentor thing tough, my own situation did not work out, one of the reasons I deferred. Delta do ask a lot of other Delta accredited instructors in that regard.

Just 1 other point, the NDTF course is a Certificate III in Dog Behavioural Training run over 8 months. The Delta course offers a Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services run over 18 months. Both courses are accredited by Aust National Training Authority but have somewhat different focus and content.

For info on the Delta course check out the Delta website at:- http://www.deltasocietyaustralia.com.au/

For info on the NDTF course check out the NDTF website at:-

http://www.ndtf.net.au/new/index.html

Cheers,

Corine

Edited for clarity (I hope).

Edited by fido666

No, actually, it was a good example of a well known trainer getting it wrong. The prong collar was given to the Vet Behaviourist after the dog in question ended up at her Behavioural Counseling Clinic, after being fitted with one by the previous trainer who misdiagnosed the dogs issues! Where exactly did I suggest any evidence of violence exactly? Were you at this years intensive? You seem to be making alot of assumptions there.

dont care how well known the trainer is or how many certificates they have they are still un qualified to use a prong...

compliance through violence is a term used when you are correcting a dog that is having a negative reaction to something...

ie.. dog is scared of another dog and trys to cowar away / run off from another dog and it is corrected with the prong collar...any dog that is having a negative effect shouldnt be forced into compliance.. (even tho its not violent its a training term used by sports dog handlers)

was i at this years delta course?...no i wouldnt waiste my money

You don't seem to have any idea what training courses are actually for....

Also what are your qualifications? I see you pop up from time to time to have a rant, but when I look for an introduction on you I can't seem to find one??

Mel.

UPLOAD.jpg

Neither course wuld be a waste of money both are good in their own way and you as a learner will get what you want from either

People try to drag down courses because of their own beliefs and opinions if you havent completed the course or gone into a course with an open mind then you wont come away from it with a great deal Also epople get different things from lectures etc its surprising how much communication can break down from the time something is taught to the the ime it is repeated ever payed that game where you whisper a phrase to the person ext to you and by the time its gone round the room its changed.

Just look at techers they all do the same courses some walk away from the course with a bucket load of ideas and tools to teach others just might as well give up they didnt take on board the things they needd to know

Ive spoken to people from both courses and have found arrogance from both and fantastic epople from both Some people cant help but think they know it all and know whats best they arent always right

I can only speak for the NDTF course and highly recommend it. I did the course many moons ago and I believe that it has certainly improved since then as students these days have many different modules to choose from.

Leopuppy04, I too am a motivational trainer who uses predominantly luring techniques to teach, but I lean towards NDTF.

Hail the prong :laugh: