Gastro

Devo

I know this might be a silly question but..

Do dogs/puppies get gastro or a similar virus?

Devo has been sick over the last few days, he hasnt been eating all his food (even tho i have cut it down) and he has had diarrhoea as well.

The other night he wouldnt eat so I mixed a little tin food in his dry and then after a snooze it all came back up.

I am going to call the Vet later, but what i want to know should i be really worried or is it just a bug that they get like us?

Lucy

Dogs do get 'tummy bugs' just like us. Not the same ones as us though so we can't pass them back and forth.

Best thing is to have Devo checked out by the vet, he'll give Devo something for the nausea and pain if there is any, and probably check out other causes as well such as liver problems or pancreatitis.

Let us know how you go.

UPDATE:

Well i took Devo to the vet with a sample of his poop. She said that it was most likey that he had eaten something that may of upset him. But that there was a chance that he may have developed an intolerance to some foods.

SO poor Deev's is only allowed to eat rice and fresh chicken for the next few days untill he starts to clear up then slowey introuduce his other foods (dry and bones, frsh meat) to see how his stomach copes with it all.

I'm sure he will be fine soon.

Cheers Lucy

I hope Devo makes a quick recovery as it's unsettling to seem them dash outside with the runs.

My pup also suffers from food allergies including rice and recently I had to add yoghurt to the list. He's currently on Metronidazole (anti biotic) and Peptosyl to help with the diahrhoea and on Eukanuba Response. He's half way through his meds. and it's so funny to see his expression when I administer the Peptosyl which has a disgusting smell and taste.

I think we will have to go back again.. the chicken and rice still doesnt seem to be firming his poop up at all.. and it's a kinda wierd color too.

Poor puppy, he seemd to be fine apart from that.. still zoomies and brite and alert.

I think we will have to go back again.. the chicken and rice still doesnt seem to be firming his poop up at all.. and it's a kinda wierd color too.

Poor puppy, he seemd to be fine apart from that.. still zoomies and brite and alert.

I know in the USA sometimes vets will only do a fecal float and not a full analysis of it. In order to do a full analysis it costs 85$ USD vs 35$ USD for a float. Its quite a difference if things dont change you may want to look into a full analysis as it could be a undetected parasite.

Can you describe the colour? Lovely topic I know. Oh, are you cooking the chicken? Raw chicken on an already compromised gut might not be a good idea.

No, chicken is raw.. The vet said it would be ok, but i might start to boil it from now on.

Hrmm.. colour.. wel it's kinda of a brite mustard colour.

If you are trying to settle a tummy down with chicken and rice the norm is to use lean chicken such as the breast, remove all the fat and poach it. Oh, the rice should be well cooked too much mushier than you would use for yourself. It's just my opinion, but your pup has a tummy bug then you cook the food to remove as much bacteria as possible. Chicken can be very high in bacteria, not a problem usually but in this case I'd be cooking it for a couple of days at least.

Did your vet suggest small frequent meals for a day or so, that might help.

The colour ahhhh :D that's what I expected. That's because the food is moving through his intestines quickly, rather than at it's normal pace. It should slowly start to improve with the medication your vet has given.

I have never tried this but, I have heard some people have given their dogs a little bit of mashed pumpkin when they have had the runs.It is suppose to firm them up. You can only try it.

Edited by Mal

Devo's symptoms sound alot like my boys at the moment. He was diagnosed with Colitis earlier this week after having loose combined with watery and bloody poos. He had been his normal self zoomies, playing etc and had a gurgling tummy - has settled down now on his course of Metrogyl, some Protexin (a probotic) and straight chicken. Unfortunatetly now he's gone the other way and is constipated (normal apparently spoke to my vet this morning and he should go later today or tomorrow). My vet diagnosed it as being from a food intollerance which might be the same for Devo. How long have you been doing the chicken/rice meals? Perhaps its the chicken upsetting him?

Devo, I was thinking about the chicken thing too last night. Although chicken is great for upset tummies, quite a few dogs are allergic/intolerant to chicken as it's used in a lot of commercial dog food due to the fact it's inexpensive. If your dog doesn't improve on the chicken and the vet says it's ok, you could try boiled minced beef instead.

How is Devo today?

Hi everyone,

Devo seems to be feeling a bit better today. We slowly introduced his advocate yesterday and his poop was firming up. So we have decided to see how he goes on this for a few days. Hopefuly it was just a passing bug.

Thankyou for all your advice and help. Will let you know how it all panns out.

-Lucy

Hi

My long-haired daschund was diagnosed with a bowel complaint when he was young,our vet suggested rabbit which i used with rice,not a nice thought i know but it is very gentle on the tummy

I just boiled it slowly then cooked the rice in the water i cooked the rabbit in,he loved it! :(