Teaching Puppy To Walk With A Lead & Collar

MyMontage

Hi everyone

I just got my Old English Sheepdog puppy on Saturday (YAY!) and he is an absolute angel....BUT.....

I am trying to teach him to wear a collar & lead and all he wants to do is play with it. As I will be showing him I need to try and get him out of the habit of grabbing it in his mouth.

I have had some suggestions from my mum and sister, but just thought I'd put it out there to get any more great suggestions.

Thanks

Hi, my 4mth old cocker puppy Emma is constantly biting and straining on her leash.

I was thinking maybe i should buy one of those "gentle leader" types to see if it works, but i don't really want to buy it if it doesn't work.

can anyone please give me help on what to do?

i want to take her walking each day but it is really becoming a most unenjoyable experience for us both :confused:

thanks in advance,

inger.

I have not had that problem with my 2 puppies. Mitchi wants to play with Barkers but once we are walking they are too focused on the walk and me.

My suggestion is to leave the collar on at all times when you are with them so that the get used to it. And with the lead small frequent walks praising them when they leave it alone.

A head halter or gentle leader is mostly used for pulling dogs but you need to us it correctly.

So i would continue with the collar and lead. Maybe feed them wearing the lead so they associate good things with it.

Also, did you take her to puppy playgroup? Try training also.

My trainers told us, that when you walk the pup, to teach it not to pull stop and say ahhhh when they pull. Come to a complete stopand only beging moving when there is no tension onteh lead. Continue this and they will realise that if they pull, the walk stops.

My Jack russell knows not to pull and if she forgets inher excitement me growling reminds her. My shepx does not pull at all, never has as yet.

But take them for walks and stop when they pull and growl. At hte time of the pulling, not when you stop. Am i making any sense?

Once the pressure is off "lets go' and keep walking. You may find that you take 30 minutes to get around the block but it is worth it.

also try. treating from your left side when dog is in heel position keep treating as long as they are staying there. raise hand up slightly and only treat when all 4 paws are on ground walking nicely next to you.. also do some stationary heel postions "finding heel" ask them to come "close" in the heel position and treat only when they are there.. try doing some oflead work, maybe just in backyard.. finding heel position is a great excersise to practice...... hope this helps..

some very knowledgable trainer people here will give you some great advise....

good luck and piccies pleaseeeeeeee love OES

Have you tried a harness instead of a collar?

This worked for my pups because the lead clips on from behind where it is harder for them to reach......

Mel

hi mel, did you find it stops them pulling/straining too?

thanks heaps,

inger.

I think you will have more success if you use a collar & lead to start with.

I would also recommend puppy preschool and/or attending your local obedience club classes.

I have harnesses which I use when taking dogs in the car. Tried to use it for walking one of my dogs and he wouldn't lift his leg or go to the toilet when it was on plus he walked like he had wet his pants! :thumbsup:

Edited by STITCH

MyMontage, try soaking the lead in something bitter like bitter apple or soak it in cayenne pepper paste (something you make up from Cayenne pepper ans water). This will stop your pup from biting leads as it will either have a bitter taste or will be rather hot, depending on what you use... Both have worked for me.

isbrec, the gentle leader will work eventually. You should expect alot of "trying to ge tthe darm thing off" behaviour at first though. Lots of dogs don't like anything on their heads, it is uncomfortable. But we don't put it on them in the first place for comfort, do we?!!!!!!

Basically what I suggest to people in my class ( I am obedience instructor at a club) is to leave it on while the dog is being supervised and only reward them (give them treats) when they are not trying to get the head collar off! Second thing I suggest is to have the head collar attached to a neck collar. So have a double lead. One end attaches to the neck collar, the other to the head collar. When the dog pulls, pull gently on the neck collar first, if this doesn't stop the dog, then gently pull on the head collar. What this does is trains the dog that if the collar is pulled, and they don't ease up, then their head is going to be pulled on! Eventually, you will just have to carry the head collar as a reminder that if you pull, then the head collar goes back on. Try using the head collar in this fashion for at least 4 weeks, then try to ease away from it. Carry it with you each time you go for a walk, just incase, but don't be afraid to use it if your dog isn't going to listen to you!

I wish you luck and if you need more info on the head collars, let me know......

Regards

Mel

Oh forgot to add, don't train heel (next to your left leg) if you are showing your dog. I had this problem with my dog and he wouldn't move out infront of me when showing once he knew what heel meant. I had to retrain and call it "run" this means run out infront of me! When you own a show dog that is also being trained in obedience, this is one of the risks you take. In the show ring, you want the dog to run out in front of you to show off their gait, but if they are "heeling" then they will only go as fast as you are......

Just a tip!

Mel

Also to the OES owner - a halti or harness will be no good to you as you need to teach your dog about a lead and collar (and a slip lead or chain) for showing. :thumbsup:

You also can't leave the collar on all the time for fear of wrecking coat :(

With the littlies, I put a hair scrunchy around their necks until they get used to the feeling, change it to a collar and then add the lead under supervision. Obviously, there will not be a scrunchy big enough for an OES puppy :)

Leaving a collar on for a week or so intermittently shouldn't worry the coat too much at this stage. The pup must have the collar tight enough that he/she can't bite it or get the bottom jaw stuck, pull it back over the head etc. Supervision.

Add the lead at any fun time like dinnertime, playtime, wee time, visiting etc. Let the pup run around with the lead on without you holding it. The idea is that all the other things going on are too exciting to worry about this thing dangling from his/her neck! :mad (You may end up with a wet lead!) Once again, always supervised.

Lots of treats or a favourite toy for distraction and during play or while pup is feeding, just gently hold the lead with no pressure. Begin using a bit of pulling pressure to get the pup to come to a treat, come outside, go to dinner bowl etc (never away from fun - at this stage whenever the lead is on a good thing is going to happen) :thumbsup:

Build it up from there. Over the space of a week or two, you should be at the stage where you can move the pup with the lead. Dangle treats in front of pup's nose as you move with the pup and give the treats frequently (no teasing!)

Voila! A pup that will walk on a lead!

Don't forget that a pup will play with anything - my friends still have a young-at-heart 17 month old who will playfuly grab at the lead in the ring - it's very cute, shows temperament as long as it's not "anti-lead" but not really to be encouraged - there are better toys than a lead! It is a time-consuming process but just be patient and you will soon have a dog begging for the lead to go on :mad

Good luck :D Look forward to reading your results in the Showring :cry:

Hi

What i do when i am training my new pups to walk on the lead is first to put them on the lead and collar and let them run around my back yard Supervised for a 10 mins at a time 2 times a day for a couple of days to get them used to the lead and collar being there.

Then I have treats in my pockets and encourage them with treats when i start the walking process. Once they are happy to walk on the lead then i start the next process for me i have staffies so i teach them to stand and stack.

Once the pup works out you have treats in your pockets everytime he is on the lead, he should really be more interested in the treats rather then trying to eat the lead.

Hope this helps

:(

Edited by showme