Look Out Ticks About

Hi Curious - my dog is fairly shaggy miniature poodle. He picked his tick up on the north shore. I have a girlfriend who lives in Paddington and regularly walks her dog in Centennial park. She's not had a tick on her dog yet.

Does anyone know if there are ticks in the Sydney City Area? Especially Centennial Park and the Bondi Areas?

Yes!!! Sydney is prime tick territory.

Plenty of long grass around Centennial Park and on the Bondi coast walk, also.

I've got a black mini poodle and FEEL the tick thru the coat. They seemed to like his ears (the leathers/ inside) and around the eye- easy to see there. The only ticks I've found on him have been greyish or brown (I used to only use tick prevention in summer, but that's now changed). Feels like a tiny lump/ hard pimple.

Would be difficult to see or feel a tick if you kept your poodle with a long coat and it was matted. My dog likes when I check him for ticks- extra pats involved :banghead: .

Does anyone know if there are ticks in the Sydney City Area? Especially Centennial Park and the Bondi Areas?

Yes!!! Sydney is prime tick territory. Sorry, Pampa, don't know about Melbourne.

Plenty of long grass around Centennial Park and on the Bondi coast walk, also.

I've got a black mini poodle and FEEL the tick thru the coat. They seemed to like his ears (the leathers/ inside) and around the eye- easy to see there. The only ticks I've found on him have been greyish or brown (I used to only use tick prevention in summer, but that's now changed). Feels like a tiny lump/ hard pimple.

Would be difficult to see or feel a tick if you kept your poodle with a long coat and it was matted. My dog likes when I check him for ticks- extra pats involved :banghead: .

You can get special tick tweezers which are self closing, that way when you get the little blighter you don't loose grip on them. W We live in an area prone to paralysis tick with lots of wildlife to carry them around.

Found this bit of info

http://www.tickalert.org.au/removal.htm

Pets

Because adult paralysis ticks have usually been attached for longer (days) by the time they are detected, paralysing toxins are the greatest threat in pets. These toxins begin to be produced after 2-3 days (at the earliest). It is important that the tick is prevented from injecting more toxins. Once the body of the tick is removed the source of toxins (the salivary glands) is also removed. Even if mouthparts are not fully removed these may be only a minor irritation - they are certainly not life threatening. Compressing the body of the tick may theoretically inject more salivary toxins.