Advice Anyone?

Tatsu

So for those who don't know Alei, she is our new pup. she's a 12 week old blue heeler X that we got from rescue 4 weeks ago now. She has had her first vaccination (is about to have her 2nd on Monday) and is a healthy little girl.

Until Thursday morning when i woke early to find little puddles of poop everywhere.

She's happy in herself, still eating, but it's now the 3rd day of diahorea.

SOMEONE HELP i don't know what to do.

Have you changed her diet in anyway? This could be a possible cause, but with pups its hard to tell.

Is it possible shes come into contact with a parvo at any stage? Have you had her out in public places or has she been playing with other dogs that may not have been vaccinated?

Either way, time for the vet now, as young pups can dehydrate very quickly with diarrohea, especially seeing as its her third day.

Dont feed her anything for now, just vets asap, Parvo is a cruel disease, and its better to be safe than sorry.

No, she hasn't been out at all. only to puppy preschool and here at home (our other dog is vaccinated & fine)

Idid give them Turkey the other night for tea (wednesday) but neither nate or the cats reacted to it in this way... is turkey too rich for puppies perhaps?

No, she hasn't been out at all. only to puppy preschool and here at home (our other dog is vaccinated & fine)

Idid give them Turkey the other night for tea (wednesday) but neither nate or the cats reacted to it in this way... is turkey too rich for puppies perhaps?

Hi again,

Is the puppy pre-school at the vets? They can easily pick up any bug, even a gastric upset.

Is her poop very smelly or bloody? Is it watery? (signs of parvo)

The main danger with diarrohea is dehyrdration (loss of fluids) and this can cause death.

My pup was 12 weeks old (never been anywhere where she could pick up a bug) and had the runs for a day, took her to the vet and she spent 48 hours on the drip, thankfully it wasnt parvo, but a gastric bug, & she went downhill pretty quickly.

Im not sure about Turkey being too rich, was it fresh or cooked? I would stick to bland food, boiled rice mixed with a tiny bit of cooked potatoe or pumpkin etc, but your pup should see a vet to make sure.

k, that's what i thought. her eyes don't look sunken and she doesn't seem lethargic so... but i did just get OH to call the vet and she said that turkey has a higher fat content that will upset puppy's tummy. she said we should monitor for 12 hrs and then if no better to take her in.

Hope you get the problem sorted and that puppy is OK tomorrow. :thumbsup: It may be an idea not to feed for 12 hours, just give some water and some Nutrigel.

Chances are is was the turkey, just remember that puppies tummies are very delicate and dont like anything new introduced too soon at their age.

Hi Razzylem, I've just got a new pup too and yes, she had diarrhea as well. It has been 4 days. When I took her home, I didnt change her diet, continued what the pet shop gave her. I was told change in environment would cause puppies to have that reaction. Her stools would be watery one time and "softee" the next. But yesterday, she was very lethargic so I took her to the vet. Vet couldn't pin the cause. Gave her worming tablet (which she chucked later, vet said she would), and now she is on chicken and rice (vet gave to us..comes in a can) diet. She ate some last night and her stools were "softee" again. But this morning, watery stools made a comeback. I will call the vet later. I thought I'd share my experience with you...I hope your pup settles soon...oh, my girl is only 8 weeks when I got her.

Most puppies will get diarrohea when they come to a new home. Change of diet and stress of being away from litter mates and new environment are usually the causes.

I recommend fasting for a day then a diet of boiled chicken, rice and pumpkin to stop the diarrohea (cook this yourself - don't use anything out of a can!). Pumpkin, for some reason, works miracles on both diarrohea and constipation - it cures both!

If it continues after a few days on this diet and puppy continues to look unwell and lethargic, then see your vet immediately. If your puppy looks happy and healthy enough, I wouldn't worry too much.

PS. Stay away from any of the puppy milks as well!

Edited by Kelpie-i

Karen and myself battled this for about a month with Kane when we first got him. Ended up he was alergic to beef protien, which we found out is not uncommon for a Malamute.

Keep an eye on him and see if you can find a pattern to when it happens. Thats how we tracked Kanes down, when ever beef was involved it would run the next day.