Dog Diet

My dog is 6 months old and I feed him twice a day. the problem is he poos quite a lot. About 6-8 times in a 24 hr period.

In the morning he is fed science diet puppy small bites (dry) and at night I give him the dry food again with a bit of science diet puppy wet food. I give him chicken necks twice a week and sometimes tuna instead of the wet food. (which he loves)

Any help with why he poos so much would be appreciated

Perhaps you could try a better quality dry food, or increase the amount of raw foods in the diet. :rolleyes: Pups do tend to "go" more often than grown dogs, but not by this age...the food isn't "right" for this particular pup's needs if he's going that often. JMO. :p

I'm trying to think what i had Harvey (my westie) on when he was that age as i don't remember him popping that much..but that was a while ago now, he is 3 years old now. I have only just started to re-introduce dry food to harvey's diet (he has been on BARF/homemade diet for a while) so cant help, but one which he did well on was SuperCoat Special care, chicken and rice or similiar i only changed from this to hills oral care as my boy unlike yours can't for the life of him CHEW a chicken neck without gagging :thumbsup: , maybe have a chat to your local pet supply store and see what they say. You'll find most vets will probably try and sell you what they sell at their surgery.

PICS PLEASE!

I feed my kids science diet.

I had an issue with heaps of poo too.

I have solved this by doing the following:

Science diet dry food twice a day

Pet mince twice a day

To get them to this i put half wet food and half mince for the first week.

I have had Mitchi pooing twice a day again for over a week. Barker is now pooing 4 times instead of 8 times.

I have had Mithci on science diet since i got her and she always did 2 a day but them a couple of weeks agoi she went haywire with 6 poos a day. I had given her a few chicken necks and i think that had something to do with her issues.

Since i have hjad her on mince and dry with a little wet she has had not probs.

The only reason i am continuing the wet and have not had her off it is because i have 20 cans left as i got a slab of it :thumbsup:

Thanks all. I will try dry and some mince and see how he goes. Then if that doesn't work i will change dry food brands.

i have tried to put a pic of him up, however I am having toubles. i'll get the OH to have a look at it.

Katetk:Your westie is very cute. I keep my westie quite short, however he has a "marshmellow' head...very cute

LOL.. Harvey is currently sporting the marshmellow head look at the moment, he was stripped back in June/july this year so is nice and short...although his head needs some work :thumbsup:

The pic is my sig was taken when he came away with us to Northern NSW - DARN freezing so he had his long coat and the eyebrows.

Harvey Before groomers very long he went a bit wild there at that stage LOL!

Harvey pic after the groomers, he looks nice right about now as he isn't short short... ETA - besides his head LOL! OH likes to make him have a mohawk.

What is your westies name??

Edited by katetk

Better quality dry foods include Eagle Pack Holistic, Dick van Patten's Natural Balance Organic Formula, Nutrience (good for some dogs/pups), and Nutro. I use Nutrience & Dick van Patten's for my foster Jackie. My own dogs are fed raw, whole foods. :eek:

Jackie definitely has more poos than my own dogs...what goes in, must come out if it's not digestible! :laugh:

ETA - the dry foods I give Jackie are of good quality, but b/c of her age I have a balancing act...she's approx 7.5 mths old and will be either medium or large when adult. Finding the right foods can be a challenge and while what I'm giving her is OK, I know Eagle Pack would be a better choice. I would give her a raw diet, but I know that many adopters will only feed kibble so that's my reason for giving her processed.

HTH.

Edited by lillysmum

Hi,

We have fed our dogs Natural Balance since they were puppies (www.naturalbalance.net.au ) the one made in Australia !

We have found that their poos are small and firm, and the food seems very digestible

If you are on the east coast you can buy it from http://www.pricelesspets.com.au/ together with other dog items.

I prefer to buy locally made dog food, rather than buying imported ones....

if you search on the net for ' aflatoxin' you will see that various USA companies have had problems with dogs being poisoned by this....eg diamond, doane, nature's recipe, even pedigree dog food in some asian countries....

You need to check who actually makes a USA brand dog food, as from what i've read doane does a lot of private label brands....

Edited by larry

Westiefan - try feeding Rolley the ready made BARF patties in conjuction with raw chicken necks/wings/carcasses + raw lamb shank every now and then. Buy some big raw bones from the butcher and let him grind his teeth on them while you're at work. Eaglepack holistic is a very good dry food too.

Check out eagle pack here: www.eaglepack.com.au

You can buy BARF patties & Eaglepack on line at www.petdeli.com.au

If you live near Haberfield - there is a pet supplies store on Parramatta Road called 'Aussie Pet Supplie' which sells raw chicken mince for $1.60 per kilo - they also sell mixed varieties of chicken mince for $2.50 per kilo (chicken & sardines, chicken & liver, chicken & veggies etc)

My westies have been on the BARF diet since they were pups and they are in great health. It's definately worth putting Rolley on the BARF diet as westies are predisposed to skin conditions which can occur when on a commercial diet.

Be careful when mixing meat with dry food - it may be too much protein. I remember reading that here on DOL somewhere. Give all raw at one meal and then just kibble for another - but don't mix the 2 together.

Please correct me if I am wrong - but I am certain someon on here gave advice to that effect once.

Be careful when mixing meat with dry food - it may be too much protein. I remember reading that here on DOL somewhere. Give all raw at one meal and then just kibble for another - but don't mix the 2 together.

Please correct me if I am wrong - but I am certain someon on here gave advice to that effect once.

There's another thread about mixing raw with dry. There's no scientific research to prove that there is a problem with mixing the two. If it works for your dog why change? A lot of people feed dry with raw.

Hi all,

I never mix fresh food with dry food.

My Dachsie is on Eaglepack reduced fat formula as he needs to slim down (Dachshunds are prone to this) and also meaty bones (lambshank, chicken wings, raw egg ). I feed the raw meat/egg in the morning because it passes thru the intestines quicker then dry food but gives energy through the day. In the evening he gets his Eagle pack dry which puts him through the night. As treats he gets grated apple, carrot, or baby tomatoe, a little yogurt, or some liver treats. NO MORE PIGS EARS.. :p

He loves me all the same