Search And Rescue Dog Training

m-j

Hi

I am very lucky to be having Julie (Sardog) and Andrew Cowan of Search and Rescue Dogs Austrlia (SARDA) coming to Culcairn, near Albury/Wodonga, on the 19th and 20th August to conduct several training sessions, with their dogs River and Gus.

These training sessions are being held to create an interest in setting up a NSW branch of SARDA.

If anyone would like to come to this, or any future training sessions to learn about SARDA and the organisations activities, please PM me for more details, thanks.

cheers

M-J

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm coming :thumbsup:

Can't wait and thank you M-J for organising this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eta - if anyone wants to come I am driving from Central Coast - Culcairn and have room for one more person if someone wants a ride

Edited by Winterpaws

Hi,

I've seen Julie and Andrew in action with River and Gus at the K9Force workshop held down in Vic recently. They were inspirational to watch and I can assure you that you will get something out of it if you attend :thumbsup: . I wish it were closer to me, just so I could see them work again.

Cheers,

Corine

F666 wrote

They were inspirational to watch and I can assure you that you will get something out of it if you attend . I wish it were closer to me, just so I could see them work again.

They are great to watch, they obviously enjoy their work. I got a lot out of the Melbourne workshop also.

K9 wrote:

Hey this will be a great weekend, if I wasnt training in Perth I would be there.

There will be other weekends. :thumbsup: Great little country pub to stay in, good food, fortunately not provided by me.

If anyone has transport difficulties preventing them from coming down/up to a training session, the XPT (train from Sydney to Melbourne) stops within walking distance to the hotel where we will be staying.

cheers

MJ

A huge thank-you must go to m-j, even before our training workshop begins, for her hard work over the past couple of months to find suitable training sites and extras.

M-j is keen to persue this discipline and this has also given her another insight to the requirements needed to train the sar dog by creating as close to the real life situation with training venues that the sar dog and handler will be put into upon deployment.

Over the three days we will be working an old tannery building, an operational quarry/disaster site and 300acres of bush/hills all to give the attendees a complete overview of how the sar dog and handler operates.

The behind-the-scene requirements will be demonstrated with rapid log sheets completed, communication sheets and navigation skills applied.

M-j and Jade attended our Training In Drive/Sar Workshop with K9 at the end of May and they have been busy ever since setting up for this workshop. We have 3 attendees from the NSW combined workshop in April also coming and it will give them further knowledge from that gained previously.

The whole weekend will also be applied to the theory and practical areas of Search & Rescue.

Should be great and we will all have fun as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks m-j :cry:

A huge thank-you must go to m-j, even before our training workshop begins, for her hard work over the past couple of months to find suitable training sites and extras.

Yes .... thank you m-j :rofl:

I'll be there too! :rofl: See you there, and thanks for making this opportunity.

If anyone has transport difficulties preventing them from coming down/up to a training session, the XPT (train from Sydney to Melbourne) stops within walking distance to the hotel where we will be staying.

cheers

MJ

How long does the XPT take & how much does it cost???

NOT FAIR!!!!! Dont tell me we are going to miss out on seeing the famous Stamp.

Oh Well, at least the "Son of Stamp" will be there :eek:

:laugh:

I am not happy with Stamp lately. He has had aggression issues with Yo (aka Ozzie) the latest male to join the pack. Only Yo mind you, with other dogs he remains fine. Not happy at all, I actually cried after the latest incident.

Sorry to go off topic guys!!!!

I was fortunate enough to meet Julie and Andrew and Gus and River at K9's last Vic seminar, and it was so inspiring I nearly cried watching them! So enjoy guys, and hopefully it will inspire a few more to join up and train!

Off Topic, LL What's with Stamp??? Is it a new dog to the pack? Can't imagine him being aggressive!! Do they all run toghether? And has he had issues with other males in the past? How old is the dog he's having troubles with? Sorry it upset you, I know how hard it was for me having a dog with aggression issues! Next time we meet, I'll put a pot of bourbon on for you! :thumbsup:

I will be there with bells on!! Ok so no thats the dogs but I will be there at any rate.

Looking forward to seeing you all. I am sure it will be a memorable weekend.

Julie, Andrew & the entire SARDA team are a wealth of knowledge in their field and for those who haven't been lucky enough to see them at work, you are missing out!

Hi

Just a quick note to say that we are expecting warm weather but the mornings have been frosty. It will be great to meet you and catch up with those I do know. Pity you can't come LL but we will be thinking of you, go girl!!

cheers

M-J

Stamp remains great with all other dogs. He is kept separated from Yo. His T4 is at the low end of normal. 5.1 (normal 5.5 to 25). Not diagnostic until the other blood results come through.

Keeping the two of them apart is no big deal yet, as they sleep when not being trained and the younger two are crated anyway.