Search And Rescue Dog Training

m-j

Hi

This weekend was sooooooo much fun. River, Gus, Julie, Andrew, Pat, Cindy, Kristy, Robyn, Judi, Jade thank you for helping me have one of the most memorable weekends I have had.

I was exhausted, I imagine you guys would have been too after having to travel many hours to get home.

We did 3 search types, a building search, a disaster search and an area search. River and Gus were amazing I had only seen an area search before and doing the building and searching at the quarry was another insight into how highly trained these dogs are (a victim was found while hiding in work cabin of a machine that was about the height of a 4-5th storey in a building off the ground) and how the "team" works, although I don't imagine victims would usually ask for a heart and lung machine to be bought up after climbing up a steep hill in the middle of nowhere :) .

A huge thanks must also go out to the people who made all this possible, Allen McPherson from Boral Quarry, Peter Hassell and Kade Godde for the use of the Tannery and Neil and Wendy Phillips for the use of their beautiful property "Jirrima". Jirrima actually has a bit of history attached as it was one of the hideouts for a bushranger called Mad Dan Morgan, dunno how he got his horses up there, it's fairly rugged terrain for a horse.

Thanks again guys, for a great weekend.

cheers

M-J

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I whole-heartedly agree with your applause to Julie, Andrew, Pat and the SARdogs - River and Gus, for showing and teaching us more of the skills and know-how involved in the various Search & Rescue scenario's. There is so much "behind the scenes" work and talent involved, but the results they achieve are not short of tremendous and awe-inspiring. The work these guys do is so excellent and so worthy - they deserve alot of support.

But M-J ....... you too should be up there taking a bow. The organisation you put in for the months before this weekend, not to mention the running around on the weekend itself to ensure it ran as smoothly as it did, did not go unnoticed and is something for which we all who were there, are very appreciative. Thank you. You did a fantastic job! :p :p

And to Robyn - photographer extraordinaire! I have already had a 'taste' of some of the shots you took and look forward to seeing some of the same and more here on DOL. :cheer:

I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend learning more into the depths of SARdog training. I'm only hoping I'm going to be able to get my head around the technological side of things - the many facets of which are somewhat daunting!!!! :rolleyes:

It was great to get to know and share thoughts and talk with all those there. The 'social' aspect of the weekend was a blast. Thanks guys.

Short of having to get a flat tyre mended and knowing that I need to quit smoking to be able to better scale those rocky mountains ( oh ......... ok ....., so it was only just a very big, steep hill :rolleyes: ), I'm already asking myself "what next" ...... ready to build and expand on what I've already learnt from the weekend.

Thanks again. :)

I also would like to say a huge thankyou to Julie, Andrew & Pat for once again showing their expertise in the field. I still get gobsmacked at how efficient the dogs are at their work and the amazing handlers.

Also, a big thanks to M-J for organising everything. You did a fantastic job!

A massive thanks also to Winterpaws for the ride and company and Gilbear for the pics and company. I was lucky enough to witness the stalking of the Dogues.

It was also great to meet some new faces.

Wow, what a fantastic weekend :laugh:

It is never too far to travel to watch the SARDA team in action. You guys are truely inspirational.

Mj and Jade - THANKYOU for your warm hospitality and hard work that made this weekend so special.

So good to meet up with everyone, it was so much fun.

We spent the trip home dog spotting, Winterpaws was in her element with all of the sibes going home from a weekend of racing. And pitty the poor couple with the Dogues :)

Some pics are up now in the Photo section.

What a great weekend of training!

I have now had time to reflect our achievements from our trip to Culcairn and would like to reiterate all accolades to M-j and Jade for their hard work in coordinating the training sites and their superb hospitality.

All outside attendees had a good insight of the mechanics of working a sardog in the three necessary disciplines that they will be put in on deployment - disaster (quarry site) area/wilderness and building (tannery site).

All those attendees who took on the responsible role of support crew to the dog team realised that there was so much more to working a sardog than just guiding and directing the sardog. The base communication, navigation and constant assessment of situation are all a critical part of deployment and they all passed with flying colours :laugh:

To gillbear, latisha and winterpaws who travelled from Central Coast and Richmond, our praise must go to you for your efforts and interest in SARDA and it looks like they will be taking up the opportunity of conducting a workshop in their area when we organise an intended sponsorship visit to NSW.

We were very pleased with the way our sardogs eagerly took on all challenges put before them without any hesitation and it continues to put us in good stead for any emergency that we will be called for.

The overall mateship that resulted from the weekend was sealed. Erny (Judi) did a great job of support crew to dog team 1 as did latisha (Kristy), Jade and winterpaws (Cindy) all did for dog team 2.

Thanks to our Base Operator -Sarda member Pat, for her super job of coordinating all searches at the base camp. Thank you to Culcairn Hotel hostess Jan and her helper -Labrador "Mitch" for their hospitality and as mentioned in the photo section of dol, Mitch used his dinner bucket to collect dontations for Sarda - well done Mitch :)

We had a great time and look forward to another trip interstate. :crazy:

Kind regards always,

Julie & River, Andrew & Gus & Sarda member Pat.

What a fantastic weekend and a huge thanks to MJ and Jade for organising and the SAR team for making the long trip north.

I learnt so much and it is always great to see the SAR team in action.

I'm looking forward to the next one!!

eta - I do have a copy of the Talk to the Animals episode here and can burn copies to DVD for anyone who wants them. Just drop me a Pm with your address :laugh:

Edited by Winterpaws

I am not surprised to read everyone had a great time. Julie and Andrew are fantastic and the rest of the attendees who I have had the pleasure to meet are great. NSW travellers also seem keen - gooooooooooood.

Apparently MJ is going on the local radio station tomorrow. I will remember to tune in!!!!!!!!!!

Great newspaper article too.

I thought about you guys alot over the weekend. Thanks for the check in telephone call Saturday night.

What a brilliant group of dedicated selfless people you are!!!!!!!!!

Where are my Pat cookies BTW???????

Where are my Pat cookies BTW???????

:p I kept saying that I needed to wrap a few up for you.

I think Jade absconded with them? ....... well, the last time I saw THE bicky tin was when her car was being packed up. Hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..... Jade? Come on. Stand and Deliver. :rofl:

PS - Good news re Stamp's bloods, LL.

I cannot believe the huge outside interest and response we have had since the weekend.

The follow-up and great encouragement from the weekend included the newspaper article in the Albury Border Mail and m-j has been approached to speak on radio tomorrow morning with her "where do you go from here?" type interview. M-j and I spoke extensivly this morning about this and she will be a great ambassador for us...go girl :p

We have also had keen interest from a leading dog food company and also keen interest for us to run another workshop in NSW Central Coast and Kenthurst...this is in the pipeline as we speak.

We just let the dogs do the talking.

Thanks again guys and Pat's bikkies went down well as usual :rofl:

OMG....LL, we forgot about your share :rofl:

Edited by Sardog

I think Jade absconded with them? ....... well, the last time I saw THE bicky tin was when her car was being packed up. Hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..... Jade? Come on. Stand and Deliver.

Guilty as charged- but only momentarily. They're so good I couldn't resist! Thankfully Pat made up so many - although probably not according to u LL. :p

It doesn't get much better than that, great food, great company, great weather - what else could a person ask for.

I'd like to take the opportunity (while I've taken over MJ's computer) to thank all who attended on the weekend & I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Hope you can make it too the next one LL. :laugh

Bye for now.

Jade

Hey guys - heard you on the radio this morning!! Great interview! I was coming home from picking up our newest rescue dog from GTE and suddenly thought...... that voice sounds very very familiar!!! Yes M-J - it was you!!

Steve is still shattered he missed out on the opportunity to spend the day with you all but unfortunately sick toddlers a week earlier infected him. I haven't dared show him the photos, he's upset enough as it is.

Trish

Dang it!!!! I missed it. Didn't realise what time you'd be on the radio, M-J! Not even sure if I would be able to tune in to that station from down here.

Is it available to down-load from the net, does anyone know?

Who said what to who and what were the responses?

Good for you, M-J. VERY pro-active lady that you are. :rofl:

And to Jade - don't blame you re the bickies :mad. Scrumptious to say the least. Sigh - have to wait for next time for some more .... assuming Pat will do them again???? Clever lady, Pat is. Knows her stuff on the SAR side of things too. She has lots of info and I appreciate her answering some of my throng of questions. :laugh:

Hi

It has amazed me how these things have just evolved, I have been very lucky in my attempt to get SARDA out there.

Jade and I did the interview. They basically wanted to know what our plans were as far as SARDA is concerned, I couldn't even pass this on to Sardog :rofl: . We just explained we would be going through the rescue side of training navigation, communication, how scent works and how the dogs utilise it, learn more about the process of training the dog before actually getting a puppy. What type of searches these dogs are trained for.... to best of our limited knowledge anyway:)

If I could take the 5mins back I would, calm down then say all that I wanted to say and had practised the night before, it all went out the window :mad I do not have good nerve:)

As far as being able to download it I don't know??

cheers

M-J

LL

This is all your fault anyway, you introduced us to Sardog :(

Trish it was a pity you guys couldn't be there I know you would have enjoyed it despite having to climb into very dusty tunnels, up conveyor (sp?) belts to work cabins way way up, get squished in cupboards, into the cavities in walls, well Andrew spared us from doing that...this time:)

cheers

M-J

Hey that's not fair. Actually it is!!! he he. I blame my husband for my dog life. He wanted a labrador when we were ready for a dog. I wanted to rescue. A boring labrador I screamed. That was 15 years ago.

Again great job MJ and Jade. On the radio. Did you sleep last night worrying?