How Is This For Awesome!?

Flaves

Hi, i went into my local fresh chicken shop last night to get human meat and some bones for the furkids and i was talking to the butcher about food for them. He said he had spoken to the vet up the road, my vet, anout what foods and vegies were good for dogs and he is going tobe selling a meat loaf type thing with meat/bones/vegies in it raw for about $9.00 for 3.5kg.

I am going to try it, not cook it cause of the bones and see how they go.

He is putting spinach, carrots and beans in the mix, is there anything else ican suggest for him to add?

Would he add a small amount of livers/hearts to it? That would boost up the nutritional value a bit, chicken is low in some vital nutrients like zinc, iron and copper.

What a nice butcher.

Edited by bloss344

Chicken or beef liver? I am sure he would. I would mix mine with red meat also as i get that weekly as well.

Besides liver is there any other vegies that are really good for them?

Beef liver would be my preference, they need mixture of red meat with chicken. Also we give ours lamb or beef hearts, you can get them at the market, I am sure he can mix it all up if you ask him....

Lucky you and what a lovely butcher.

IMHO, variation is the key. Why not just throw in any vegies (minus onions) that is in season? It may be cheaper to make than sticking to a rigid receipe and just might be more nutritionally balance.

Does he sell chicken only? It would be nice if he get a pal who sells fish. Like I said, variation and low cost, love to see this nice butcher makes a decent profit while everyone else get quality with reasonable price.

Seriously thinking moving to your neighbourhood!

Edited by Ah Ngau

I have a fish question... I was always hesitant to give fish, because as a child I always used to choke on fish bones (sort of).... What fish do people give to their dogs. Do you give it raw or prepare it in some way. I always want to get some for our dog at the market, but we are not big fish eaters either so closest he gets to a fish is fish oil capsules (or canned sardines, but I dont really like giving those to him).... :rofl:

I have a fish question... I was always hesitant to give fish, because as a child I always used to choke on fish bones (sort of).... What fish do people give to their dogs. Do you give it raw or prepare it in some way. I always want to get some for our dog at the market, but we are not big fish eaters either so closest he gets to a fish fish oil capsules (or canned sardines, but I dont really like giving those to him).... :rofl:

I have a fish question... Do you give it raw or prepare it in some way....

Warning: Newbie opinion below:-

Mine is a golden retriever puppy, he could handle raw necks and chicken frame before I tried feeding fish.

At first I minced the whole fish and add to his food, so he could have a taste. Next, I tried to buy small fishes with soft bones. He now eats any fish that is on special at the local supermarket. :rofl:

BTW, all fishes fed are raw in my case.

Edited by Ah Ngau

Chicken or beef liver? I am sure he would. I would mix mine with red meat also as i get that weekly as well.

Besides liver is there any other vegies that are really good for them?

Beef liver has a lot more nutrients than chicken liver and lamb liver is really good too. Beef or lamb liver will add a decent amount of iron and copper.

As far as veggies any of the regular ones fed to dogs are ok, as long as they are processed really finely, if they are in chunks they'll come out that way too. :rofl: Carrots of course are great, silver beet in moderation, broccoli for it's antioxidant qualities, green beans to fill them up, apples would be great, not too much though. Avoid peas and corn unless they are smashed up as they tend to come through whole and undigested.

I feed my dogs whole raw fish on occasion but I always scale, gut and cut the fins off first. If your feeding fish you of someone else have caught always, always gut them and throughly inspect the gills and mouth to ensure there are no old hooks still attached!!

Kristie, it sounds like your butcher is fantastic but the concern I would have is by feeding everything mixed as a meatloaf (which I assume is minced) your dogs will miss out on the benefits of crunching up the bones themselves. Also there are many BARF authorities and enthusiasts who emphasise the importance of achieving dietary ballance over time rather than in every meal.

:laugh: just a little, hope you don't mind...Does anyone know of someone able to supply raw turkey?

I add different vegies,fruit and extras with every batch of mix that I do.

As haven has just said you do not need to have nutritional balance in every meal. My mix includes minced carcasses etc so has ground bone, but I also feed the carcasses, wings, necks and lamb and beef bones as well. Feeding shouldn't and doesn't have to be complicated.

No vegies for a week, no worries. All varied meaty bones one week, no worries. Balance is achieved over time.

Also there are many BARF authorities and enthusiasts who emphasise the importance of achieving dietary ballance over time rather than in every meal.

:laugh: just a little, hope you don't mind...Does anyone know of someone able to supply raw turkey?

I'm presuming that the butcher will be making this loaf up for general sale, not for Kristie alone. Although Kristie knows enough to feed a variety of foods and give RMB's some people may feed it as the sole diet if it works for them, and is economical, so it would be nice to see a bit of nutrition in it in that case. ;)

:eek: I'm looking for turkey too apart from the leg chops you can buy in the supermarket.

I'm presuming that the butcher will be making this loaf up for general sale, not for Kristie alone. Although Kristie knows enough to feed a variety of foods and give RMB's some people may feed it as the sole diet if it works for them, and is economical, so it would be nice to see a bit of nutrition in it in that case. :eek:

I agree, much better than the pubic buying PAL en masse :laugh:

Hi all have been reading with interest my comment is one of the handlers I know brought some chicken pet mince and one of the bones that had been minced even though it was small had pierced the dogs stomach and caused at tear and the dog died .

So I don't buy it now Glorybea

I have been feeding minced chicken with bone in for over 10 years to all my dogs from 3 kg upwards without incident. Dogs choke and die eating kibble, things like this can happen, there is risk with everything.