I Have A Schnauzer That Is Scared Of Her Bum!

milly01

No never feed tin food, i feed her raw chicken meat, brisket bones or chicken necks & supercoat. She is just over one year old so I have been feeding her adult supercoat. Should she still be on puppy biscuits. She is abit fat so I try not to feed too much and she doesnt guts down her food like shes starving. She seems really healthy, happy and so playful. I have never heard of eagle pack or a sensitive stomach food. I will look around next time i am in town. We do have a fenced off house yard that I have put logs, rocks and anything else around the bottom of fence to keep her in but my kids go on motorbikes down the paddock and take other dogs and she loves it.

I just cant stop her - she eats everything & I mean not just chew on things. She eats sticks, bark dirt and of course favourite is poo.

Nutritional intake might need some investigation/adjustment also, as ingesting these things CAN be indicative of nutritional deficiency/absorption malfunction.

ETA: Oops! Sorry - didn't read every single post before I came in here and now note that Nekhbet has already mentioned the possibility of diet being the culprit.

Edited by Erny

Yep, when all is said and done, your dog should not be that "gassy". There also could be something in the dried dog food causing it.

As suggested the vet can help.

There is an excellent plant called Slippery Elm, a powder is made from the bark, then mixed to a porridge consistency, and mixed through food. About 1 teaspoon a day of the powder is enough. It is very neutral and is often used on human babies for digestive problems. What it does is line the intestines with a very neutral bland mucous like substance, thus reducing any inflammation and giving the gut time to heal if it is still a bit sensitive from the gastro.

Some farts can be uncomfortable. If she is gassy then something is not agreeing with her tummy. I use Supercoat and like it - I think you can get sensitive stomach variety now. But the poo would not help!! Most dogs love eating cow poo and I don't know if there is much you can do about it! Isn't charcoal supposed to help farty dogs? Or is that for bad breath?? Can't remember!! :laugh:

Thanks for help. I will take her to the vet anyway just for a check up. Someone else said acidophilous powder can help too. Anyway I am watching her like a hawk & kids have strict instructions not to feed her anything because I think they where sneaking her chips etc. When she wags that little tail & looks up at you it is hard to resist her. I am also trying to think of a kind way & gentle way of making a soft muzzle because she loves the paddock & seems awful not to let her down there unless on a lead. She knows she shouldnt eat it because on the lead I have taught her but when i let her off she grabs a dried poo nearly bigger than her & runs away to eat it. :p

When I lived in the country my dogs ate cow poo just about every day and it didn't harm them at all, we lived there for six years and the dogs were never healthier. I would be more inclined to blame the Supercoat for the gas, it's a cheap food that contains a lot of fillers ie. cereal products and some dogs can't tolerate too much carbohydrate. Change your dog onto a super premium food such as Eagle Pack or Royal Canin and you may see a distinct improvement.

If your dog has recently had diarrhoea I would definitely get her anal glands checked. Loose poo doesn't put any pressure on the glands as it passes through the anus and they can get blocked as a consequence. The vet can empty the glands manually and then give you antibiotics if there is any infection present. Please be aware that blocked anal glands can be serious if not attended to, if an abcess forms you may have to have one or both of the glands removed and this will cost you money.

Don't let her eat horse poo. A friends dog got tetanus from eating horse poo. Apparently tetanus passes through the horses stomach without affecting the horse but is still present in the poo.

This is incorrect, dogs cannot contract tetanus from eating poo containing the bacteria as the digestive enzymes in the stomach destroy it. Dogs get tetanus when the bacteria enter a cut or puncture wound although, like all carnivores, they are highly resistant to the infection. Humans and horses are most susceptible to the tetanus bacterium.

• 2 weeks later...

I took her to the vet about a week ago and she didnt have impacted anal glands but does seem to be scared of her farts. She must think that poop is going to come out from when she had diarrohea, so now the kids say she has fartophobia. :rofl: He suggested charcoal tablets and acidophilous and said she may take a while to forget about it. I have been really careful about what she is eating and have started her on acidophilous and she seems a little better but the kids had her down the paddock this morning so have to see if the cow poo is making her gassy. She is a mini schnauzer just over a year old and weighs 11kg is she fat? She just looks cute to me but other people have said she looks fat.

Could she just be scared of the reactions she's getting (from the kids etc) when she farts? Was it a big drama when she was sick? Lots of ewwws and laughing etc? Could be just a learned behaviour from back then. Dogs can be funny like that.

Oh she was horrified when she had diarrohea. She ran all over the house trying to get away from it. She was absolutely miserable and I must admit so was I :rofl: We actually dont even hear her fart or smell it. I have read about other peoples gassy dogs and how they stink, well we dont even know she has done it until she leaps up looks at her bum and looks at where she was lying and then shoots off a million miles an hour to her bed.