Getting Rid Of Nerves

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so nervous yesterday in the trial in the morning, it has been videod and it shows. Bit embarrased to put the video up, because I had people critizing the last obedience one I put up when I only lost 3 points in heeling, and we lost 10 points.

Silly things I did in a trial due to nerves.

* forgot to bring dumbell in

* left the dog for the recall did an about turn and halted but because I halted so quick, I lost my balance, and swayed a bit

* exited the ring by jumping over the ropes (twice now)

* called dog by call name instead of come

* did one circuit of figure of 8 and lead out before being told to

* before leaving dog on recall, said wait and then did the signal

* when coming in for the stand for exam stopped before the judge told me too.

But we still managed to pass. So you are not alone. But what helps me is when you are at a double trial, or the nerves come out at the morning trial and you are more relaxed in the afternoon trial.

Good to see even those with great results are still nervous! lol

Don't be embarrassed to put it up either, it helps amateurs like me, and at least you are helping, lets ask those who critisise to post up videos of them working!!!

Edited for spelling!

Edited by shoemonster

I think we've all been in that situation at some time or another if we're really honest! The beautiful thing about Dobermanns...if they sense you're a bit nervous & hesitant....they'll play it for all it's worth!!! so you go from not just being nervous...but to having this dog that usually performs everything to perfection...then when everyone is watching just runs amok! ;) nothing like making you feel a celebrity....for all the wrong reasons!

:laugh:

when I first started going to club with Daims...I was in an abusive relationship..& the OH would always stack on a turn, just prior to me leaving..so I'd arrive at dog training with fragile self confidence right from the get go!....Daim's being a typical adolescent Dobe would sense this & pretend that he knew nothing!!!! (which was far from the truth!) (give a dobe an inch..and it will take a mile!)

my worst day was when I had had a particularily distressing morning...arrived at the club & a new boxer was in our class...now for some reason, this boxer decided he didn't like Daims....& kept having a go at him...I kept trying to drop out of the circle & keep Daims as far away asa possible from this dog, but the handler keeped seeming to overtake until his dog was level with Daims.

Eventually.....Daims got sick of the constant ;) and as the boxer went to bite the next time around, Daims jumped over him in a split second & had him by the throat! By this time I was in tears!!!! (OMG!! my dog just attacked another dog!)

The only thing that saved me, was that the instructor had been watching the whole thing!....He took me aside, comforted me, said I had been doing everything right, showed me a technique to use in extreme cases..then kicked the boxer's handler out of the class because he had been deliberately not controlling his dog & despite my evasive action had continually put his dog set to mine! I actually felt much better after that!

My next demoralisation came in the testing ring....we trained & trained...we had it down pat..but on the day...guess what! Daim's played the I know nothing game again!!!!! waaahhhh!!!!! the only thing he got right was the drop stay...which was the quickest I've ever seen him do it! ....it wasn't until after we had failed the test that the tester commented..."I'm not suprised he failed it, the last dog through here was a bitch in heat...no wonder he got such a good drop!" (Daim's was an entire) so now he tells me!!...I still felt demoralised though, and must admit, I stopped going to club & began training on my own....the positive thing was that...I ended up with a very well trained dog, who was reliable and tractable in every situation, and I was always proud when people would comment on his behaviour.....because I could honestly say, I did it myself :rofl:

I suppose the ultimate point I'm trying to make....is that training is not to recieve some certificate etc...it's getting the dog that you want, who will do what you want when you want it, and it doesn't matter how you achieve that so long as it is done humanely. A dog can have all the papers...but not be able to act the real thing in everyday life.....the piece of paper means nothing...it's the dog & it's behaviour at the end of it all that counts...and most of all...a happy dog is one that will want to please you :rofl:

cheers

Aus