Why Do You Guys Say?

kazzakanary

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm thinking in reply sounds awful, so I won't say what I'm thinking. :rofl:

Perhaps you need to re-train your husband? Pups are babies and make mess b/c they don't know not to, it's YOUR job to teach your pup what you expect of it. If he's not prepared to house train a pup then I have to wonder why he consented to having a pup in the family. :rolleyes: Pups need to be let outside frequently until they are old enough to hold their bladder and bowel. This doesn't happen overnight and any mistakes aren't the pup's fault but yours b/c you control the pup's access in and out. Please find out about positive training methods and perhaps confine your pup to an area that has a hard floor. Oh, it might be a good idea to come home part way through the day so you can feed the pup and let him out to the toilet. Just until he's old enough to manage to hold it and no longer needs three-four feeds a day. :D

And also, BasTyra - how awful for those little dogs!! I hope they stopped eating their poops after that - can't be very healthy hey??

To be honest I have no idea. I haven't seen her in years. I hope they learned not to eat their poos, I was really shocked when she told me.

Some other reasons why rubbing noses in 'doggy donations' doesn't work:

There are more ways to get a thing wrong than there are to get it right. If you get angry and rub pups nose in the donation he left on the floor in front of the couch, does that mean that the floor in front of the TV is OK? Are you going to wait until you have punished all of the different areas of the floor before he moves outside? Far quicker to teach where he should go and praise him for doing the right thing.

Also, apart from the donation eating babies above, I have also heard of dogs that were punished for inappropriately placed donations who learned to hide them. The message their punishment training seemed to get across to them was that it was OK to go inside so long as the boss didn't find it..donations buried in laundry piles, in the bottom of wardrobes etc,.

I have also had a number of pups who seemed to have a fear of the dark. During the course of their toilet training, when they seemed confident and happy to go outside by themselves in the day time, they were more likely to have inside accidents of an evening so may need you to be aware and accompany them for a while in the dark.

Also, accidents might recur if you take newly trained pup to a friends house for example. A change in context will often mean starting the training from scratch.