Why Do You Guys Say?

kazzakanary

Why do you say not to rub their noses in their business to stop the pups pooping and weeing inside??

I am not doing this but my hubby is getting mighty pissed at the amount of mess left when we get home from work!

Indy has got access to outside but is doing her business inside?!!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically? because it doesn't work. Pups/dogs are like babies...once it's done it's out of their head and they don't know what they are getting in trouble for. And rubbing their noses in their mess is just likely to cause them to mess where they shouldn't more often.

Basically you have to keep an eye on them..depending on age take your pup outside to go to the toilet everyone 1-2 hours, as well as after they sleep, eat, drink, finish playing etc. If you can't supervise the pup then put them somewhere easy to clean up, or which encourages them to hold on eg a crate.

Puppies again are like children in that they can't hold on for very long, and they don't get much notice about when they need to go - that's your job basically.

When you take your pup outside for their loo break be very boring, don't encourage them to play etc until after they finish their business. Once they have started going to the toilet quietly and gently say something along the lines of "Good toilet" or whatever you want as your toilet word, not to excitable else they will may try and stop mid flow. Once they have finished tell them what a wonderful and good puppy they are in happy happy tones so they know what they are doing is right.

Only tell your pup off if you catch them in the act of toileting inside - and even then just let it be a short growl or a 'no' and then take them outside - when they finish going to the loo where you want them to...praise praise praise.

Why do you say not to rub their noses in their business to stop the pups pooping and weeing inside??

Because the dog can't make a logical link like we can. We want them to think:

- I made this mess

- Having my nose rubbed in it isn't fun and my human is angry with me

- Best I don't make this mess again

But they are DOGS so they don't get it.

So rubbing their noses in their business won't stop them pooping inside.

Taking them outside to go and making a fuss of them when they do go is something they can get.

Works a lot quicker.

because its not a nice method to use!!!!plus if your dog is doin the business when you are at work then you come home and punish them its not goin to be affective because they dont know what your saying and dont remember that they did a poop like four hours ago!!!!!!!!

If you are at work all day put the puppy in a safe place outside cause when they have to go they have to go. If your puppy came from a kennel envoirnment well it will be used to going on a hard floor and where it is confined. One of mine would run up from the back yard to pee and poo on the concrete.

I always have a safe place outside when I am not at home and when at home keep a close eye on them. Puppies always do there business when waking up after drinking and eating, at night time my puppy always slept in the bed with me so when it moved I woke up and took it outside.

I have never rubbed a dogs nose in their outgoings for I would not like mine rubbed in it.

Guest Pandii

As above

a pup can hold only so long then they go were its available

I have a nearly 13 week pup she has gone once inside and that because the DOLers distracted me with talk of cake and I missed the signs she needed to go

Thanks everyone

I haven't rubbed her nose in it - and I might leave her locked outside whilst at work from now on - but I am scared she will get stolen or escape!!

She was doing SO well with going outside, it is just the last few days that she has backtracked!

If you are not sure your fencing will hold her build a puppy escape proof pen, and put it around the back out of sight of any passer bys and padlock up the gates.

Um not sure if you said what sort of puppy do you have

Edited by isaviz

I have said I AM NOT RUBBING HER NOSE IN IT!!

I was just querying.

I am taking her outside after sleep, feed, play etc but have got a bit slack as I thought she 'had it'

She is only 10 weeks old so obvisouly I need to keep doing it for a few more weeks!?

Thanks all for your answers - I do appreciate it!

And I will try and leave her outside - you cannot see the yard from the street it is just a fear of mine to have her stolen!

Ohhh some pics she must be gorgeous, I can see why you dont want to leave her outside.

Hate to say this others will probably say I am wrong but in my humble opinion small dogs are so much harder to train than big dogs, my friends 7 yo long hair chihuahua doesnt care where she does it they have to watch her all the time inside even though she has been trained, sometimes too lazy to go out side and refuses to in the cold, my mum has a small terrier about 3 yo and it can be naughty as well, even though she is fully housetrained.

best of luck with her keep it up and through peserverence you will make it and dont worry about hubby all men I know are like that :p

My pup is about 16weeks and we still need to take her out in the evening.

She is fine during the day (but is outside if I'm not home).

You just have to persevere until they are 100% mine is good that she knows what we are out there for a will go straight away.

Though tonight I think she tricked me, she looked like she was going, took her back inside, then was acting 'suss' about 1/2 hour later, took her out again and she definately went that time LOL

She knows I expect her to go, so I guess she tried the first time but didn't really need to LOL, I don't know if a dog can be that clever though ??