Weimaraner Toilet Training

Andy J

I have a near 6 month old weimaraner puppy. She refuses to pee or poo outside on the grass overnight. EVERY morning I wake to at least 3-4 poos on the cement downstairs. She has access to the grass all night but just won't go. I have a crate for her but she whinges terribly overnight. Her feed time is 7am, so I can't understand why she needs to go 3-4 times overnight. And also, if it's raining...FORGET IT! She will not go on wet grass or if it's raining. This is a problem, as we live in tropical north queensalnd!!

Any suggestions? What can I use to clean up the mess/odour on the cement that will also aid in discouraging her from ggoing in the same spot? It's driving me crazy and taking away some of the ehjoyment of owning an otherwise wonderful dog.

Thanks for any advice.

Use bleach on the paved areas.

None of my dogs like going out into the rain to do their business.

I scatter kibble on the paved areas I don't want them to do their business on (rather than feeding it out of a bowl) and find that this firstly gives them more interest in finding and eating their food, and secondly they get an association between food and that area, and tend to not go to the toilet on it.

Try not feeding her too late, so that she doesn't have much in her intestines before bedtime.

What are you feeding her? If it has a high fibre content you may need to switch to something that will give her less bulk in her faeces. Many dry foods will end up with dogs doing huge poos. The better quality ones don't. A BARF diet also reduces the amount of faeces. My own feeding regime is a good quality dry food in the morning, and chicken frame or other raw meaty bone in the afternoon.

I was wondering about something related to this myself. I have recently aquired a 7-year-old dog, and I was wondering how to make him do his business in the same place, instead of all over the yard.

Would it help if, like someone said, put some of his faeces in the place where i want him to relieve himself, and cleared up the rest?

A dog trainer told me that breeders often train their dogs to go in the one spot. She said that you lead the dog to the same spot and repeat the command ???? (whatever you call it). Reward the dog. Do this a few times and they learn to go in that spot.

I let my dogs go where they like (and some poo on my patio too which pees me off, I clean with disinfectant and brush then wash off with boiling water) but they are all housetrained and wee on command - handy for long distance trips etc. I got my housetraining tips from the same dog trainer and have had heaps of success (I have fostered many times). Here they are:

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

I'd say three to four poos might be one or two attempts and he/she may be a poo walker. Ie, poo walk a bit then poo again. If he/she is doing three to four, its getting way too much food for its main meal. How is its weight going? Sometimes my male GSP will poo on concrete if the grass is wet or its raining. He grew out of it mostly, im sure your little one will too, in time.