Fleas, Please Help If You Can!

Yerk! I'd be moving out too! I'm allergic to fleas, and as a dog groomer, I can tell from about 30 paces if the dog has any fleas on them <G>

When you move, I'd throw out your dogs bedding, and buy new beds and coats for them. Before you collect them from where they are staying, arrange to have them bathed in a good flea/tick rinse (most good mobile hydrobathers will have a suitable product, let them know your problem before they bath your dogs so they can make sure they use the most powerful product), have them properly blow dryed with a high power dryer, then treat them with Advantix. Also, give them about a teaspoon of crushed garlic in their dinner every night for a natural deterent.

Also, make sure you treat your own bedding, lounges, and other soft furnishings that could harbour fleas with a spray on product. If you can do it, put all of your beds, lounges, etc into a storage shed, and bug bomb it a couple of times before moving it into the new home, or bug bomb your new house (with the furniture in it) a couple of times before moving the dogs in. You don't want to be taking the problem with you to your new home.

Good luck! I can't imagine anything worse than living with a flea infestation! I feel all itchy just thinking about it :)

I don't really know how true this is but I was told years ago about 'Lime'. It is used as a fertilizer so you can sprinkle it around your house and especially areas where there is dirt as fleas like to breed in dirt. It is harmless so your dogs can walk in it & wont hurt them. When we first built our house we had fleas and we sprinkled 'Ag Lime' around everywhere in our yard - we still do because it takes the acidity out of soil and makes grass greener and veges grow better. Anyway we have never had a flea in years and I dont think it contains harsh chemicals.

Edited by milly01

As well as the above suggestions, I also agree about using Captar as well as the Advantage. I fostered some infested kittens once and it took a while to rid the place of fleas again. But with the double whammy on the dog and spraying, especially where animals sleep, we eventually got them under control again.

If the bombing hasn't worked, take to it also with the Mortein Flea and Egg killer spray - you may find that the eggs that are hatching after the bombing are now getting going - I have found in the past that bombing helped, but the Mortein Flea and Egg surface spray worked far better because it got them as they hatched out of the carpet and floor boards......

I had to move out of a property for 10 days because it was flea infested - and they used the Mortein Surface Spray and that was the end of the fleas....

I once sprayed an entire house out with Mortein Surface Spray - my sister and a friend were soon to move in to the place and had already discovered that it was infested with fleas. Sprayed it two weeks before they moved in and it seemed to work really well....and then they discovered the rat problem ;) . Didn't last long in that house. If my sister or her friend had had pets, I would have been concerned about putting them into an environment laden with surface spray, but since they didn't, I didn't follow up that aspect of it.

Hi All,

Thank you for all your help :rofl:

We are moving out of FLEA HEAVEN this weekend!!! Yay!!

We have just had enough and can't do it anymore! If it was our house or we caused the problem then fine but the problem was there when we moved in and its not our house so out we go!!! Our new house will be ready in 2 months we are moving in with my parents for the next couple of months which will be good!! I'm getting all the rugs, couches and mattresses cleaned and I will bomb them while they are in storage so hopefully when we move into the new house it will all be fine :rofl: I'm also purchasing new beds for the pups so they won't be transfered.

I have heard of the lime thing before as well............

Mel