Most Intelligent Breed?

Poodles, Border Collies & Labs are very intelligent, some other breeds to but Im too tired to think off hand.

And the answer to your question, is there are alot of dogs that will take you a long time to teach/train. No they all definately do not have the same learning capacity.

This was recently posted in general discussion, by skwo2, last post 06 Sept.

I found somewhere on the website, there is a research which has been done and say how intelligence a breed is.

Anyone got any objection as to the result?

Rank Breed

1 Border Collie

2 Poodle

3 German Shepherd

4 Golden Retriever

5 Doberman Pinscher

6 Shetland Sheepdog

7 Labrador Retriever

8 Papillon

9 Rottweiler

10 Australian Cattle Dog

11 Pembroke Welsh Corgi

12 Miniature Schnauzer

13 English Springer Spaniel

14 Belgian Tervuren

15 Schipperke

Belgian Sheepdog

16 Collie

Keeshond

17 German Shorthaired Pointer

18 Flat-Coated Retriever

English Cocker Spaniel

Standard Schnauzer

19 Brittany

20 Cocker Spaniel

21 Weimaraner

22 Belgian Malinois

Bernese Mountain Dog

23 Pomeranian

24 Irish Water Spaniel

25 Vizsla

26 Cardigan Welsh Corgi

27 Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Puli

Yorkshire Terrier

28 Giant Schnauzer

29 Airedale Terrier

Bouvier Des Flandres

30 Border Terrier

Briard

31 Welsh Springer Spaniel

32 Manchester Terrier

33 Samoyed

34 Field Spaniel

Newfoundland

Australian Terrier

American Staffordshire Terrier

Gordon Setter

Bearded Collie

35 Cairn Terrier

Kerry Blue Terrier

Irish Setter

36 Norwegian Elkhound

37 Affenpincher

Silky Terrier

Miniature Pinscher

English Setter

Pharaoh Hound

Clumber Spaniel

38 Norwich Terrier

39 Dalmatian

40 Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier

Bedlington Terrier

Smooth Fox Terrier

41 Curly-Coated Retriever

Irish Wolfhound

42 Kuvasz

Australian Shepherd

43 Saluki

Finnish Spitz

Pointer

44 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

German Wirehaired Pointer

Black & Tan Coonhound

American Water Spaniel

45 Siberian Husky

Bichon Frise

English Toy Spaniel

46 Tibetan Spaniel

English Foxhound

Otterhound

American Foxhound

Greyhound

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

47 West Highland White Terrier

Scottish Deerhound

48 Boxer

Great Dane

49 Dachshund

Stafforshire Bull Terrier

50 Alaskan Malamute

the Nova Scotia Duck tolling retriever is on there. I have a lot of people tell me that Moses is a very intelligent dog, and that I would be lucky to get another dog as smart as him. My next dog will be a border collie, people say I will be disappointed.

But I don't know is he intelligent because he was born that way or was it the early work and training that I put into him?????

He is not smart at some of the simple tricks such as head down, and bow took us ages, but better at some more complicated ones which use retrieving like coits, and retrieving trolleys, things out of peoples pockets, opening and closing doors/drawers etc.

Based on one on one samples, My poodle is smarter than my lab in most things, but dosen't get close to him in some street smarts such as "since i am not allowed to have a bone in the house, if i balance it on the door frame will that count?" and stuff like that. He has a superb memory. It is very easy to see why they make such good guide dogs. You might try to use say three destinations from your house and attach names to them, and see how quicky your dog learns them.

Form my observations over a decade or so, not being objective either, I would have to say that the BC's I have seen are generally very smart, almost too quick for their owners. GSD's are usually very good too, if you can get past some of the temperament problems. Goldies are consistently smart,right up there.I saw a goldie out perform my little girl from week to week, but tailored off due to lack of owner interest. I have a theory that JRT's are often over looked becuase their owners are just not quick enough with them. Now I haven't seen a slow NSDTR either, (sometimes a bit shy tending towards fear aggression??) and I would fancy my chances if if they didn't have a long coat. That way I would get my OH to agree to have one.

I think that choice of training method is important too, becuase some dogs aren't that good with some training methods.

To be honest, there are only a few breeds I wouldn't do much obedience with, but I still like the dogs and can appreciate them for what they are. These are dogs roughly in the hound and mastiff sub groupings. There are a few toy breeds that are a bit hard to work with too!!

What do you mean by "inteligent" or "smart"?

Different breeds were originally bred with differnt tasks in mind. Working dogs to work stock, terriers to dig,hunt,hold, sighthounds to run and hunt, toys breeds for lap dog companions etc etc.

If a border collie cant dig and hunt well, is it less intelligent than a terrier? Likewise, If a terrier has very little drive to work stock, is it classed as stupid? Do you get my drift?

If you are talking pure obedience sports then working type dogs have natural drive for it, and are usually quicker to train because of that reason. They are often more structually able to achieve higher scores than some other breeds for a variety of reasons.

This dosnt mean that other breeds will perform any worse, its up to you as a trainer and handler to find the source of drive in each individual to incorporate into your training.

I have seen plenty of unlikely trial winners, and I admire them the most!

What do you mean by "inteligent" or "smart"?

Different breeds were originally bred with differnt tasks in mind. Working dogs to work stock, terriers to dig,hunt,hold, sighthounds to run and hunt, toys breeds for lap dog companions etc etc.

:rolleyes: I agree wholeheartedly!

Dogdude:

I have seen plenty of unlikely trial winners, and I admire them the most!

I agree. We had a lady at our club who trained two Parson Russell Terriers to UD - now THAT's a Trainer!!

I also recall someone in Victoria who put a CDX and a TD on a Pug...

I wont restle FD for a honour of which dobe is the most inteligent, but while Flame is digging holes (for whatever reason :laugh: ) Rex has done my bank rec in MYOB.

6339.jpg

Herr Rott - you should see FD in real life............

:rolleyes:

Inteligent v's smart - owning only dobes I can say that Rex is smart but Divani is way more inteligent.

Rex will find smart ways of getting away with whatever he wants to get away, Divani after learning to open doors from both sides at 3.5 months old watched me turn the key to prevent her from opening the door and the next time used her paws to pull the handle and the teeth to turn the key. So far at 5 or so months old she has not been sucessfull to turn the key, but Im pretty sure she will one day.

I am pretty sure that they use different tests to determine intelligence, such as how quickly the dog learns something, how quickly it solves a problem, etc. It wouldn't just be based on obedience. I will do a quick google and see what I can find!! :rolleyes:

Oh and just for the record, my dog is the smartest! LOL! :laugh:

ETA: OK, after a quick google search I found this. I believe the rankings were based on Dr Stanley Coren's studies. I found this link to his webpage and it explains a bit about intelligent dogs - and how it does not necessarily mean they are well-behaved dogs!! :D http://www.stanleycoren.com/e_intelligence.htm

Edited by Kirty

ok...I know I'm biased!!! :rolleyes:

but I have good authority to back it up! ....I once asked one of the victorian dog squad handlers why they didn't take dobermanns?....his reply....they're TOO intelligent! GSD's are perfect because they're stupid enough to follow orders without assesing the situation first...whereas a dobe would turn to the handler & say "you've got to be kidding!" :D :vomit::eek:

so I'd be pushing dobe's up the list to at least in front of GSDs!!! :):laugh:

BTW...I'm wearing a flameproof suit! na na nana nah! :o :D ;)

;)

Aus

Deception and manipulation are the hallmarks of intelligence. Flame sets me up all the time! :D

Australdi... you don't need to be "Flame" proof... I think my girl Flame would like you just fine!! :rofl:

In addition to deception & manipulation...if we're talking about dobe's...then you have to add..being able to assess whether the command is real, or just desired :o being able to sook any comfort & tolerance out of your handler...and simpley being so adorable, even when being "naughty" that you can get out of any punishment! :o

:thumbsup::) :D

Aus

God I love Dobe's!!!! They think they're human..and they've convinced us too! I swear all dobe owners have "sucker" tattooed on their forehead...or is it just that dobe's are so intelligent, they can turn the most sternest trainer/handler into a quivering mass of malleable softie!???? :D :D

Aus

intelligent, they can turn the most sternest trainer/handler into a quivering mass of malleable softie!????

I don't know, but if someone told me ten years ago that I would have a poodle and having lots of fun with her, well I would have laughed my socks off. She can manipulate me into letting herself sit on my lap, she sometimes gets "taxi rides" to the door (she makes me pick her up) you know the rest of it.

On dobermans, I must say I have heard the comparison about GSDS and Rotties and what the police say in other countries as well! The one I heard is that GSDS would go for it and go on about it aftrewards, rotties would simply go for it and be slow about it, and dobermans would send their masters.

I have met a lot of fine female dobermans, one biting my own dogs bum (he nearly deserved it. They seemed to snipe at each other for ages..weeks and weeks) and a couple of very intimidating males. One time my OH let me sit while we were visiting some people while this dobe sat in front of me staring me down, wouldn't let me move or speak for at least one hour (I think) until his dam owner stopped yabbering and noticed my plight. She then suggested that our dog play with him. we let him out the back, and 15 sec later, I swear there was a brown lab trying to knock the door down and get let back in. I guess he got a bit of his own medicine.