Humps Other Dogs

Valkyrie

its not really a problem but it is starting to get abit tedious LOL.

ie at puppy preschool last night he played with the other puppies for about 2 minutes then jsut started trying to hump them all.

so i had an interesting puppy preschool constantly having to pic him off the otherdogs to seperate them.

now i know this is my own doing as he is still "intact" as i was going to keep him intact for breeding purposes as i have been approached buy a few people with purebred females that they would like to "introduce" at a later date due to his Lineage.

now tho after puppy preschool and his play date with Jade on sunday im unsure if this is something i am willing to do.

is their anything i can do to stop him from humping every other dog he meets if i keep him intact or am i doomed and either suffer the humour of it or go have the dreaded operation

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bryce

now i know this is my own doing as he is still "intact" as i was going to keep him intact

This isn't your own doing as there are desexed males out there who still like to hump. :thumbsup: I'm not sure how you would 'train' him to stop, but at least he is discerning(sp?) between dogs & legs. :) That would be a problem to me.

Humping is a dominance thing :D He meets and greets and then humps to let those other puppies know that HE is the boss :D

It is a good idea to keep him on a leash and just pull him off when he goes to jump on :D

It is perfectly normal behaviour - your boy is just full of himself :)

There have been a couple of threads on humping lately so do a search and you'll find lots of useful info :thumbsup:

Edited to add: My girls do it too and the worst offenders I've had are desexed!

Edited by t-time

I have a 5 and a half month old kelpie pup who has a humping thing at the moment. He meets plays then humps. He humps big dogs, small dogs and other pups. If I see him I just pick him up by the scruff of the neck (nicely & saying nothing) and place him back on all 4's. It seems to be working....he isn't doing it as much now.

This pup is in no way a "dominant" dog. I don't think that it is a "dominance" thing in every case. Some pups find it enjoyable and give it a go whenever they can....wouldn't you if you were a male pup? :laugh:

All of the dogs at the daycare are desexed and a lot of humping still goes on :thumbsup:. We pull them off and redirect them, if they are really persistent they might get sin binned. Sometimes it is just overexcitement, sometimes dominance. Sometimes there are orgies :D

The only one that really bothers me is a Goldie who has a few other issues (strange body language, food and toy possession). When she humps she really gets into it and then does her anal glands, which is annoying and smelly and messy to say the least!

Any ideas on that?