Earthdog

I know someone that's competed in it with her Border Terrier, in NSW. I think I remember her saying that they were looking at increasing numbers of trials as there were not very many. You can get an Earthdog title with the Canine Council. Try this link if you are in NSW (sorry, didn't look before posting).

Edited by sidoney

Earthdog ROCKS. I've only done a few training days with my Border Terrier, but he loves it, and it's a great way of letting the tunneling breeds do the job they were bred to do!

I believe at present it's only registered, pure breeds, of certain Terrier (the smaller ones as well as Australian Silky Terriers) & Dachshund breeds can compete in Victoria- not sure about training though.

What sort of dog have you got, wheres_my_rock?

Don't really do much training at home - except when he first tried it he was scared of the dark! So at home I encoraged him to burrow under the bed covers and such. Am in the process of building some wooden tunnels to practice with in the backyard.

There's presently 3 titles which can be gained in Australia - Novice Earthdog, Senior Earthdog and Master Earthdog (NE, SE & ME respectively).

Caber and I hope to start trialing next year :D

Caber's first practise day - 10 months old-

Down the rabbit hole...

Earthdog2.jpg

Peek A Boo

Earthdog4.jpg

And we're out!

Earthdog1.jpg

Miranda - 'earthdogging' is perfectly acceptable :thumbsup:

We've done the training at KCC a few times :D but mostly do it at Border club fun days (if we're at KCC that early it's usually for a show... and a dog can't do earthdog then go into the ring :thumbsup: )

I haven't seen any Foxies doing it yet but they're the right sort of dog for it hehe.

The Border who has the NE title was one of the first Vic dogs to gain it I believe.

I have done earthdog with my Jack Russell Terrier, and he got his Novice Title just before he passed away, he was 10 years old :( He loved it, it gives the dogs something else to do - not just showing, plus I also take mine racing as well, not that I have been for a while.

When there is racing, if you go early and let the Secretary know a day or so before, they will set up the "earthdog" burrows for training. I'm hoping to get back into it soon. They are looking to increase the number of trials in Victoria. A great bunch of people. :thumbsup:

ChEeKy AnGeL

• 1 month later...