Aldi Dog Food

BARF patties? Please do tell what are these??!!

I have always heard bad things about Pal - it does seem that canned food is more water and cereal than anything else.

Not all canned foods are more water and cereal than anything else. Different cans have different contents. The ingredients listed on the side of the can will tell you what is in the can in order of most quantity to least.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks zia'snuthouse. what sort of dogs do you have?

my understanding of aldi products is that it is always a "normal brand" but repackaged for aldi. so their weetbix might actually be sanitarium but it's repackaged as aldi bix in an aldi box.

i am curious to know what the "real brand" is for aldi dog food

Well punter it has Julius on the can and their dry food is the same, so I'm guessing thats the brand? Maybe mine don't get the farts or lots of poops cause I only use the tinned as an additive, to add a bit more flavour and to mix their kibble with.

I have a GSD and a Newf

Kahn and Merlin :o

Is there a thread or link I could look at to see what to look for in the nutritional panel/ingredients of dog food rolls ?

I sometimes feed the Aldi Chicken/Rice roll and wondering if that is OK.

I'm scared of canned food...farts and runny poo's make me heave :o

Edited by sunny70

Well punter it has Julius on the can and their dry food is the same, so I'm guessing thats the brand?

No, Julius is Aldi's generic dog food brand name. There is no company called Julius. The food is manufactured and packaged by other companies.

yeah thanks greytmate, that's what i was trying to say only i didn't say it very well

the aldi brands are all repackaged "other brands". I was wondering whether aldi dog food was actually bush's or chum etc because that's what they do, repackage existing branded stuff with their own name

I suspect (but do not know for sure) that the Aldi canned food may be manufactured by the Australian Specialty Pet Food cannery in Pyramid Hill in Victoria. The company manufactures food under a few different labels (Bush's, Home brand, Black & Gold etc). The only other dog food canneries that I know of are Uncle Ben's (Pedigree, Chum, Whiskas, Mydog) in Wodonga, and Nature's Gift in Moorabin.

Does anyone know of other dog food canneries in Australia?

yeah thanks greytmate, that's what i was trying to say only i didn't say it very well

the aldi brands are all repackaged "other brands". I was wondering whether aldi dog food was actually bush's or chum etc because that's what they do, repackage existing branded stuff with their own name

To be more precise, Aldi products are branded differently as opposed to repackaged.

From my limited knowledge, and explained to me when a cousin worked for Aldi, there are three gradings for most grocery products. Grade 1 is the highest (premium) and grade 3 is the lowest (products such as no-name, no-frills - all generic). Aldi have two lines. One has their own 'generic' label and this is usually grade 3 and the other 'premium' Aldi brand is grade 2.

To be more precise, Aldi products are branded differently as opposed to repackaged.

From my limited knowledge, and explained to me when a cousin worked for Aldi, there are three gradings for most grocery products. Grade 1 is the highest (premium) and grade 3 is the lowest (products such as no-name, no-frills - all generic). Aldi have two lines. One has their own 'generic' label and this is usually grade 3 and the other 'premium' Aldi brand is grade 2.

i'm not sure i understand the difference between repackaged or "branded differently" puggles. I had always heard that Aldi food was just normal brands with a new label, that they don't actually manufacture this stuff themselves, but source it from existing companies, buy bulk and put their own label on it. Is this not true?

Guest DodgyDoggie

I love Aldi its great but I would never buy the dry food and I dont feed tinned food

The dry food is full of couring and additives, the food its self is red and green in colour.

Having said that the fresh Kangeroo in the fridge section for dogs seems ok

but I only feeed it extremly rarely like only once or twice a year.

i'm not sure i understand the difference between repackaged or "branded differently" puggles. I had always heard that Aldi food was just normal brands with a new label, that they don't actually manufacture this stuff themselves, but source it from existing companies, buy bulk and put their own label on it. Is this not true?

It 's only semantics P&R, ignore me, I am being picky. :)

From my understanding they don't buy it bulk and re-label it. The labeling is done at the place of manufacture as is any of the generic supermarket brands.

My brother worked at Arnotts and explained even with chips, the product is graded (although it was the original potatoe I think that was graded before the chips were made). Grade 1 chips went down one conveyor belt and were packaged as Arnotts varities, grade 2 travelled along another and were packaged as another brand and grade 3 tavelled along another and was packaged as No-Name chips.

Aldi don't do the actual packaging either.

Aldi places an order for the quantity that they want, and the manufacturers put the food that they sell to Aldi in the Aldi brand packaging. The food goes through exactly the same production, but the rolls of packaging are changed over on the machines.

I suspect (but do not know for sure) that the Aldi canned food may be manufactured by the Australian Specialty Pet Food cannery in Pyramid Hill in Victoria. The company manufactures food under a few different labels (Bush's, Home brand, Black & Gold etc). The only other dog food canneries that I know of are Uncle Ben's (Pedigree, Chum, Whiskas, Mydog) in Wodonga, and Nature's Gift in Moorabin.

Does anyone know of other dog food canneries in Australia?

I don't know of any others. If there are Aldi Trucks coming and going from Pyramid Hill that might be a clue!

I never use Canned Food of any Variety.Speaking of Aldi,I was visiting Sydney and my Sister who lives there,had bought Aldi Cereal.It was a bit rank for me,I reckon it would have choked my Horse. Tonymc

Tony.........most of Aldi products are made by the same manufacturers as 'Brand Name' products.

eg: the yoghurt is made by 'Pauls'.

I can guarantee some of the cereal is made by Kellogs...........my kids and I eat it and can't taste the difference.

I combine Aldi canned food with home made stuff too..........but only the green label can. This is Veal, Lamb & Veges and is solid.....not chunks with gravy. No farts or runny poos either. :)

Mine also get minced chicken carcasses from the butcher and chicken necks.

My two turn their noses up at Natures Gift and won't eat it.

I haven't tried the Aldi dried food......it looks like crap, too highly coloured for a start.

Edited by Possum Hunter

thankyou. am looking up eagle pack holistic food on the net now. when you say "BARF", that's bones and raw food right? Are you referring to things like chicken necks and wings, or does it include raw vegies too?

I blend fruit and vegies to a pulp and add brewers yeast, kelp, organic eggs, live culture yoghurt, flaxseed oil and cottage cheese. I then mix this with human grade chicken, turkey or beef mince and freeze in meal sized containers. The Rottweilers get a chicken frame after the BARF meal and the Cavaliers get a wing. They have raw meaty bones at other times too.

I give a Salmon oil capsule to the big dogs daily and the little dogs twice a week. Vitamin E capsule to all dogs every third day..

Eagle Pack is a good dried food and my dogs have nice shiny coats on the food they are on.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add. I don't use pasta, rice or any fillers but they do get it occasionally as leftovers.

^^ your method seems pretty well worked out. do the Vitamin E capsules & Salmon Oil Capsules have expiry dates? And how long can you keep your little pulped mix froxen for before it goes off? I have 2 little ones and one big boy. I don't think I'd go through enough if it's not too long lasting.

Also, do you think it would be acceptable to feed my cat the same?

Is Brewers Yeast just a dietary dog supplement? My Vet told me mince wasn't good for their teeth & that it would make my little ones fussy but if it makes them healthy & happy then why not? Especially since the only reason it makes them fussy is because the cheapo not so quality dog foods taste like utter crap (and smell like it too). After eating a gourmet pizza, would you go back to stale bread? Exactly. :rofl:

Anyway, so yes. How long can you mix be frozen for without going off was my main question! Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I don't know anything about cat feeding.

Nothing goes off in this house because it doesn't last long enough with two Rottweilers and two Cavaliers. My big dogs are each fed 400grm of the BARF mix for their evening meal so the 12Kg mix I make up doesn't take long to go through.

Brewers yeast is basically vitamin B so people can take it too if they can stand the taste. Some people mix it with juice. I would rather take a vitamin tablet.

Mince is only bad for the teeth if no raw meaty bones are given, as is canned mush. My dogs get bones every day and their teeth are perfect.

I think your vet was trying to sell you some of the dry food he stocks by saying mince makes them fussy. I have no fussy dogs here, they all eat anything.

I agree with you about el cheapo canned food. I have never fed it to my dogs but a friend feeds her dog with a well known brand and the dog has a strong doggy smell, huge loose poop and is as gassy as all hell.

I suppose I could attempt to mix a smaller amount than you do. What sort of fruits & veggies do you use? My Lab X BC has a VERY healthy appetite although is a little overweight. The 2 little ones aren't all too fussy - except with "El Cheapo" foods. I didn't know about all the different raw bones that can be given. My little ones & the cat get raw chicken wings & gobble them up within 10mins. Tyson (the Lab x) gets large bones mum gets off the butcher for cheap. Not sure what type but look quite massive & usually have a fair amount of meat on them. Not ribs or anything though. They are probably some type of limbs.

So Brewer's Yeast is simply Vitamin B in powder form? And it's also available at the supermarket for humans? I know my questions might be really silly but *shrugs* I can't help it. I've already learnt so much in the few days I've been a member. I'm like a SPONGE...hehe...absorbing everything!!! Also, is it recommened to give Calcium supplements?