Hana Acting Weird

eh94

Hi everyone - I'm back! Just a quick update - Hana got better from her diarohea. Conclusion after all the expensive tests - really bad bug in tummy. Hana is now 15 weeks old. We've started taking her for walks - very challenging because she is still scared of noise from traffic, motorcycles and big trucks...AND she stops to say hello to EVERYONE who happen to share the same footpath! We're training her to manage her distractions and overcome the fear of the nosie. That's not why I'm back - I took her for walk last night, her 6th walk. Normally, she walks next to me and little ah-ahs and slight tugs get her going. But last night's walk was abnormal. Towards the end of the walk, she suddenly ran round and round and started pulling forward till she was on her hind paws. I thought some insect bit her so I checked all over her body but found nothing. We decide to end the walk and headed home. She was very hyper when we got home but we ignored her and eventually she calmed down. This morning, she didn't eat her breakfast (which she normally devours) but she's still pretty hyper. She pulled out bathmats on the floor and the cloth that covers her crate and then she pooped on the floor (she's been using the kitty litter very well).

For those whose unfamiliar with Hana - she is a border collie cross chihuahua (pet shop said so). Mom is border collie. When she's out for a walk, she's best friends with EVERYONE and she is OBSSESSED with grass! Check her out on You Tube. Type in "Hana on grass"

So, what is wrong with Hana's recent behaviour? Is it because her hormones are acting up? She's lonely? Insufficient exercise? I live in an apartment.

I'm afraid to walk her again because of her behaviour last night. I will persist of course, but it would be assuring for me to know the cause of her behaviour. How about walking her in a place with a lot less people? But I want to expose to such environment, I'm not keen to walk in quiet places - safety issue.

Advice anyone... :(

i have recently found (through the help of fellow DOLers) that you really shouldn't be walking a puppy AT all until 6 months of age.

Their bones are still developing and it can lead to joint problems in later life.

I will try and find the thread for you. It was very interesting...

ETA: This is the link to the thread:

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=73379

Edited by bikle

Just finished chatting with my vet - he said short walks for Hana will be fine...no running unless SHE runs, which Hana loves..she trot along and then suddenly does a sprint and then happily trot again. For bigger dogs especially lab or great danes, yeah- no jogging till 15months.

Can I ask what breed of dog is Hana? your avitar makes her look like a papillon, she looks like a sweetie. As for her bizzar behaviour, she is a pup, they all go strange for all sorts of reason. But maybe, just maybe, she smelt the pee of a very dominant dog and it gave her a fright??

Do take her for little walks to get her used to the traffic noise etc. Maybe go and sit on a street bench and ignore her if she fusses over the trucks. Just make sure she is saftely on a lead.Do this for a little time a lot of times and she will learn not to worry about the traffic noise.

Can't comment on her "last night behaviour" but maybe it won't happen again.

She looks like a beautiful pup.

Yes you do ahve to be stern with puppies sometimes but with the traffic thing don't be stern or tell her no. Just ignore her behaviour. Hopefully that tells her that the traffiic is not a problem-it doesn't worry you-it's a non event. When you leave to come home try to do it when she isn't reacting. You might have to wat for a break in the traffic when she isn't scared.

Thanks Catzatze! I'm tempted to contact them (K9) but I suspect their 'target' breed are medium to big dogs especially German Shephards *durh* :D BUt I'm sure the commands and concepts are applicable to all breeds, not sure about the collars and leashes. Hana's seeing her vet on Tuesday, I'll ask him then. I really want to start training Hana as soon as possible. She sits, drops and crawls with/without treats at home. But once we're outside, her behaviour becomes inconsistent. When she's on grass - FORGET IT! Noooo treat will entice her to leave - we always have to carry her away :thumbsup: