Bed = Bed, Not Bed = Bed + Chew Toy!

caspian

OK, he is a 10 month old rotty. He is over the teething (thank God!), he knows not to chew anything other than toys inside, things we leave outside are his to chew.

Does not chew the mat in the crate inside, sleeps like a baby.

OK, so far so good. Now...

Every type of bedding and/or mat left outside is shredded to a bizillion pieces! Vinyl, hessian, fabric, even the trampoline beds!

He slept inside during winter and was OK, and when we first got him, I used teething as an excuse for the stuff he destroyed. But now, he still kills all bedding! Oh, and he loves eating things with "stop chew" type sprays, he just washes them down with water!

He is currently sleeping on, and slowly eating a trampoline bed. When does it end? How do I teach him when I am not there? (he only does it when he is alone, usually when he wakes up at the crack of dawn and we are still in bed!)

oh I am laughing so hard I neally wet myself

Sorry I suppose I should say welcome

This is what

IMGP0280.jpg

these 3 did last night to one of their beds

IMGP0245.jpg

If you want to see more photos of destruction just ask

oh I am laughing so hard I neally wet myself

:rofl:

Love the photos, just like some I have seen on the *ahem* breed forum.

I wonder what goes on in his little head? Must be something like this: "*Yawn*, another morning... hmmm... bored... too tired to get up and play... whats this? feels spongy... tastes funny... but reachable right now... ooooh look... it comes apart... and again... and again! hey, this is fun!"

Unfortunately, no pics of the evidence! Too upset to take a photo!

post-12604-1159185452_thumb.jpg

Who, me? I dont destroy beds! Look, I am a good puppy!

post-12604-1159185393_thumb.jpg

Leave me alone! I am trying to sleep!

Ooops :laugh: bad doggy

I would take away the trampoline bed and supply caspian with bits of shadecloth to sleep on. My dogs love their shadecloth and it is easy to replace. I have trampoline beds as well which Bruno nibbles on so I only put those out when i'm home to supervise.

Another option for chewable beds is cardboard boxes (you'll need lots of them).

Have fun :rofl:

Edited by BellasPerson

Such a cutie pie. He is gorgeous and obviously very smart boy (to wash his toys, he, he, he). Sorry no help from me. One thing I did notice is that our amstaff will leave things alone that are outside, like outdoor chairs, potplants alone for months, and then if we move someting, like outdoor furniture to another spot in the backyard, we will come back home to find that he has chewed on ALL chairs. Same thing with plants, if we move them, they will get eaten (only the pots, he leaves the plants alone).

Aaaah yes, the joys of "I've finished teething but I like chewing". :laugh:

Tango destroyed the mattress on the outdoor lounge and then started chewing that (heavy plastic) but has subsequently given up and now sleeps during the day on a hessian bag (large) filled with the stuffing from the mattress that he originally destroyed on said lounge. He enjoys dragging blankets out of his box and I just stuff them back in again or hang them up to dry. I've given him a washing basket (he's on his 3rd :rofl: ) which he slowly destroys (but he's a chewer and a spitter, not a swallower, so I don't ever have to worry about that). He's also now eating his way through a pallet in his run (best idea I've had so far for a "chew toy"). He has cheap rope toys, teatowels with knots tied in them, cotton rope plaited and then knotted - and that's keeping his chewing under control - for a gundog with a very soft mouth, he chews on a pallet just like a Dobermann!!

I believe they grow up......... :rofl:

Thanks for all the ideas. And thanks (not!) for laughing at us!

Cardboard? Hmmm... that would last, maybe, 5 seconds! When I need to throw cardboard into the recycle bin, young Azlan is the one who brings it down to size! So that would be a no! He knows cardboard is fair game.

I believe they grow up too, just that my previous labby took 8 - 9 years to do so! And a nearby neighbour rotty (who is 13 and still looking young) apparently "matured" when he was also 8 - 9 according to his parents!

*Sigh*

Today he ate one of the timber railings to the back stairs. At least its not his bed!

We had a chronic chewer and destroyer, I have two of them now, but not so bad, they haven't destroyed any of their outside bedding-YET! But what we used to do for our shepherd who destroyed everything, was we put a low board across the bottom of his kennel and then filled it with straw! The board helped stop it from blowing everywhere and it was a warm bed that he couldn't destroy and was cheap to replace :rofl:

My James is a destroyer too. Such a shocker! We think he is rotty cross, about 11 months old. He's a naughty boy. He also is at his peak at about 5am. I take him for a walk and a play in the park each night now (now that the sun is out longer! WooHoo!) and that seems to tire him out and keep him in bed a little longer in the morning. Then as soon as I get up in the morning he has a morning trot on the treadmill, that sorts some of his energy out! LOL