How To Get My Dogs To Love Me?

Hi, We have two puppies a maltese cross(1yr old but still a puppy) and a 3 month old cattle dog cross both are well behaved and fairly obedient dogs, but are both scared of me and i have no idea why, my girlfriend spoils them and im the one who usually tells them no and gives them a smack, I've tried everything i can think of , anybody got any idea's?

Edited by daniel83

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pandii

do you think it might have something to do with you smacking them

How do you talk to them compared to how she talks to them

I dont talk harshly to them only when there naughty and that isnt that much really my girlfriend is a very small little thing and im over 6 ft with a natuarally deep voice do you think that could be the problem? i've never been around dogs much , love them both like kids but:)

Guest Pandii

If you really want help to get you dogs to love you

then do a search of this forum on puppy training

there is heaps of advice

when you talk to you dogs try making your voice a bit higher and sound exciting, even though you may feel like a dick but it will work

Rather than smack your dogs redirect their behavior to one you want,

Also play exciting games with your dogs reward them with cuddles or treats

Good Luck

Have you thought about how that is from the pup's perspective?

Have you tried something else instead, perhaps a squirt from a water sprayer?

Or a strong "No!"?

Or greater physical control of the pup so it can't make a mistake while it is learning?

IMO all of these methods are far preferable to a smack. Dogs are mostly human-focussed and the "correction" should not come from you but from something "other" than you...your voice is part of you but not necessarily to the dog. The other options are not part of you at all, therefore the dogs don't associate negative things with you at all. :)

What are you having trouble with? Perhaps we can help.

BTW - how does the smack help with the training? Is it working?

Edited by lillysmum

You smack a 12 week old puppy :D :rofl:

Yep, that's what I was thinking VC. I don't get why anyone would smack a baby and then wonder why it doesn't like you? :clap:

With Piper, even me picking up the spray bottle is usually enough to stop her in her tracks. :)

Sometimes, I need a strong "No!" to go along with that, but not often. She's a very quick learner. :rofl:

And she works for Schmackos above all else, so when there's a treat involved, she will do literally ANYTHING! :rofl:

If you really want help to get you dogs to love you

then do a search of this forum on puppy training

there is heaps of advice

when you talk to you dogs try making your voice a bit higher and sound exciting, even though you may feel like a dick but it will work

Rather than smack your dogs redirect their behavior to one you want,

Also play exciting games with your dogs reward them with cuddles or treats

Good Luck

Thankyou for your help, beautiful dogs by the way I used to have a Rotti named tyson

A stern 'no' would achieve the same thing.

Would you like someone who constantly smacked you?

Stop smacking the dogs, start taking on some feeding duties. Spend time walking/patting/playing with them.

You may find this will really help :)

A stern 'no' would achieve the same thing.

Would you like someone who constantly smacked you?

Stop smacking the dogs, start taking on some feeding duties. Spend time walking/patting/playing with them.

You may find this will really help :)

i walk them every day when did i say i constently smack them?

ohh and I also feed them most of the time to

Guest Pandii

Thanks Tyson is my rotti X

his personality is to die for

My husband plays great games with him and wrestles and plays chasey

and just generally acts the goat Ty loves him cos Dad always means play time

Do your dogs come inside

For God sake people not everyone knows all about training do they?!

Back off a bit, most people grow up thinking a smack when they do something wrong is all right.

Daniel - I dont think its got anything to do with your voice, but sounding excited may help so try that, plus maybe get down on the ground with them and have a gentle play.....a 6ft tall person is intimidating to anyone :)

What do they do exactly that makes you think they are scared of you?

My dogs have always been weary of my dad, he has never hurt them but he is intimidating and they just cower to him. Beats me LOL

Hi Daniel, great name by the way cause my grandson is Daniel --back to the subject --I have two malt/shuhz crosses and they are very loving . I am not much of a 'LET'S PLAY A GAME ' person but both have different personalities --no1 is loving, strong minded and I did use heaps of food to teach them - and my voice gives her all the indication

as to if she is naughty and when she cuddles on my knee I know she loves me

no 2 is loving but "bloody" minded if I speak to her in a sharp voice I 'm not kidding she looks back at me with "don't you speak to me like that " then if you please she walks off with another glance to say "i"m not staying here for that' lol

So in answer to your question ,Show them that you love them - when they are not being naughty call them with "come" give them a tit-bit ,and love them and they will really LOVE you back . and when they is naughty a ah! will do . use reward system it always works --and relax he/she is a puppy - have fun Glorybea

Have you thought about how that is from the pup's perspective?

Have you tried something else instead, perhaps a squirt from a water sprayer?

Or a strong "No!"?

Quoting your post LM, but posting in general and not to you exclusively:

While i don't condone smacking a puppy as the best way to deal with bad behaviour, what makes people think that a smack is more aversive to a dog and in some way crueller than a strong 'NO' or a squirt with a spray bottle? Just as the reward you use should be determined by the dog so too should the punisher you use. Not all dogs are alike, some dogs don't give a rats about a smack but are terrified by a raised voice. Some don't care about being told off, but hate being ignored etc etc.

And if we are talking about the pups perspective, I've seen dogs threaten and punish eachother by staring, growling, body slamming and even throwing the other to the ground and standing over them with mouth over throat........but I've never seen one dog squirt another with a spray bottle.

Thanks Tyson is my rotti X

his personality is to die for

My husband plays great games with him and wrestles and plays chasey

and just generally acts the goat Ty loves him cos Dad always means play time

Do your dogs come inside

No i don't let them come inside they know not to, it's funny when we feed them theyll sit at the open door and cry put a paw in the door and NO! and they put there heads down and slowly back up :) its funny how the new cattle dog kinda learns from the maltese they have very similer personalities

Guest Pandii

Is there a reason you dont let them inside

I was wondering if maybe you let them in at night for a cuddle on the couch

that is a bond bouiding excersise

I have mine inside when ever I want them in, they also sit at the door and wait until invited in and inside we are quiet, it really gives you some great time together.

Maybe you should think about this too

As I type this my husband is laying on the floor saying hello to the doggies in thier nicknames and just giving them belly rubs and pats, just them time

I am not saying you do but make sure you dont just leave your dogs in the back yard and only go to feed them. They are part of your family.

Do they have many toys