Diet Advice

Ruffles

I have a Problem with Rinse (neo Mastiff X) 3 in November, Desexed.

She went through a stage a little over a year ago where she just refused to eat. We changed her diet to Euk and Raw foods (with some fatty mince as well) and she got her appetite back.

However she was not putting on weight. We changed her to Euk Performance for the extra fat and stuff, this was working and about 4 months ago she actually started getting to the point where I looked at her and thought "Gees, I'd better watch what she eats because she could get Fat". Rinse was weighing about 45ish Kg's at this point.

Now it is all going downhill again... She is still eating the same things, even more than normal because she keeps Pinching Loki's left over food as he doesnt fancy eating too much but she is dropping the weight rapidly.

Rinse is "Silly Skinny" now, as in her Ribs are showing and the bones on her back are sticking out near her tail, I think its her pelvis :laugh:

She is wormed (Sentinel Spectrum) so its not that.

She doesnt have anything wrong with her physically... Vet checked all OK.

Basically I need some advice on a diet for her that is going to put weight on her and Maintain it. She currently eats Euk Performance (large breed), Veg Mush, Meat, and either chicken necks/wings or Lamb Flaps.

Thanks heaps guys, I am really worried about her.

Edited by Ruffles

The thing is Normal Euk wasnt working but when we changed to Performance she started looking schmick as... Everyone who came over would comment on how wonderful she looked but now its not working anymore.

I guess I am sorta of scared to change her Dry food though because she is picky with dry

Sometimes they novelty wears off with the dry. Have you tried soaking it in a little warm water or chicken stock? You would be suprised how quickly that dissapears because it releases the oils and smells that have been supressed during the manufacturing process. Chuck in some mince or mashed veges into the soaked food. She will turn into a vaccuum.

Check she does not have a grain intolerance, what do her poos look like?

Also, maybe limiting her activity? Is she really active? My Mal actually put weight on when she was not walked for a while, I was suprised she actually had a fatty waist!

Any pics so we can see if she is actually skinny?

Amlovinya posted a q of how to put weight on her young amstaff, I looked at the pic and thought she must of had brain damage coz that dog was bordering on fat!

Edited by phatdex

Nekhbet, she is very active. Is always running around like a headless chook. She has a metabolism like I dunno what!

She is stil eating but is losing weight even though her eating habits havent changed.

Phatdex, I dont think I have any pictures of her, the problem is, because she is black it is VERY hard to get pics that have any definition at all. But Take my word for it, she is skinny. I like my dogs fit and am happy to see a little Rib but the bones on her back near her tail are sticking through her skin. As a guess I'd say she'd stand about 70cm at the shoulder (perhaps a little more) and weighs like 30 kgs (maybe less!!) and considering her "breed" she should be heavier.

I'll see if I can find any pictures though

seeing bones on the back near the tail etc is never a good sign.

I agree that you should try to spice up the Euka with a bit of other stuff.

Do you feed her twice daily? If you are maybe you should consider 3 smaller meals a day. Also feed her more at night. That way she goes to sleep without using up all the energy.

Our boy Humphrey has the same problem with being underweight for no reason. We started feeding him later at night, this way he eats, settles down and goes to sleep. In 3 weeks he's put on a kilo which is a pretty good progress.

Ok I was chasing Rinse around last night to get some pics!

She had just eaten her dinner when I took them, as I said because she is dark its kind of hard to see her condition but you can get the general idea.

skinny8.jpg

skinny6.jpg

skinny7.jpg

skinny2.jpg

skinny1.jpg

skinny3.jpg

skinny4.jpg

My big guy went like that...the vet advised me to put him on Eukanuba Large Breed Senior and add chicken mince to his diet (apparently it has a high fat content)...to also break up the bordom of the same dry food all the time i add a snallish can of tinned dog food to change the flavour

Has worked brilliantly

Before

8-7-06a.jpg

After

7-10-06.jpg

She's already on Euk perfomance which is 45% fat :thumbsup:

I'm a bit loathe to give her more Carbs as there is already a carb content of 28% in her dry plus she gets her raw mix (veggies, chicken necks/wings or Lamb flaps, yoghurt, oily fish) which means she would get carbs from the Veg aswell.

She is eating plenty, its just not helping her at all :eek:

edited: to make more sense

Edited by Ruffles

Thats mondays plans :thumbsup:

She's been physically checked over by the Vet but yeah blood tests for monday unfortunately.

ETA: Does anyone know how long results take to get back?

Edited by Ruffles

She's already on Euk perfomance which is 45% fat :thumbsup:

I'm a bit loathe to give her more Carbs as there is already a carb content of 28% in her dry plus she gets her raw mix (veggies, chicken necks/wings or Lamb flaps, yoghurt, oily fish) which means she would get carbs from the Veg aswell.

She may need the extra fat and carbs....as you are saying the fat and carbs she is on isnt doing anything

Anyway i'm sure your vet will steer you in the right direction....mine certainly did

Please let me know how it goes with the bloodwork

I just dont think adding extra carbs will help, she was a great weight not so long ago eating the same thing. Now she eats more than before and she is loosing weight... Very scary.

Sorry, not having a go (if it seems like I am) I value everyones opinion and advice. I cant talk to our vet about diet, he's a "You shouldnt give your dogs raw food" kinda guy :eek:

Fingers crossed its nothing feral, she's my baby :thumbsup:

I just dont think adding extra carbs will help, she was a great weight not so long ago eating the same thing. Now she eats more than before and she is loosing weight... Very scary.

Sorry, not having a go (if it seems like I am) I value everyones opinion and advice. I cant talk to our vet about diet, he's a "You shouldnt give your dogs raw food" kinda guy :eek:

Fingers crossed its nothing feral, she's my baby :thumbsup:

Got me fingers crossed for ya too...she looks adorable