Dog Minder

Hunter

Does anyone have any recommendations for a dog minder in Cairns or the surrounding area that will look after a 6 month old dog - we need to be away from the house for about 11 hours and don't want to leave him on his own for so long. We are new to the area so don't know anyone yet who can come around to let him out/walk and play with him.

Any info much appreciated?

Flycow - thanks for the mail - I tried to reply but when I sent it my entire computer closed down and I lost your info so I am sorry I didn't get to chat with you - hope all is well!

Hunter, where abouts in Cairns are you?

I'd offer to help, but I work 8 - 6 during the week so wouldn't be able to pop around for you. Might be able to figure something out though.

I don't think there are many dog minders as such around here - I haven't found anyone or heard of anyone so far.

There are probably people who advertise as dog walkers so check thses people out. Here they are more likely to advertise in the local paper.

They may be able to come to your house and exercise your dog for a set period of time each day or whatever.

Thanks - yeah I have responded to a few ads in the paper but the women that seemed the best hys gone away I think! Do you leave your dog for 10 hours, does he/she have a doggie door? Just curious about what you do as we have got up to around 5-6 hours with no probs at all with ours but as he is still only 5 months I am not sure what his limit is- we don't have a doggie door yet as we are in a rented house at the mo?!

I am a bit scared of sending him to the kennel for the day in case it freaks him out being so little! I am going to contact a few today and see what they say!?

Hunter,

Where are you located in Cairns? If it is close to where I work I may be able to work something out.

Min is at home from about 8:30am until 5:10pm every day - sometimes mum comes home from work for lunch and she gets 1/2 hour play time then as well.

She doesn't mind being home all day though - our back patio area is brilliant and is always in shade and heaps cooler than anywhere else. She also has an arctic mat to sleep on to cool her down when summer really hits - and if we have any 35+ days, the tiled area will have a baby gate across it and she can stay in there in aircon for the day.

Mine have beenleft longer then 11 hours - when my brother was sick and rushed to sydney i had no choice but to leave them

They usually outside on their own for about 10 hours a day when i am flat out with work.

I dont think i would personally get someoen in for 11 hours. but, your dog, your choice :cry:

We started to try and leave him outside after he had got used to being left in his crate and he just went crazy and no matter how many times we tried, just as we had with the crate training (leaving which was fine with this), he is still howling like mad when we leave him outside and go away. I posted a question about what to do but got no response. I did some research on the internet and it said that the home is their den so when excluded it is like they are "homeless". So I just gave up and left him in the house!

Maybe I should try again and advice much appreciated?!

Anyway thanks for your help and offers - my husband has got the day off so it is sorted ...for the moment.

I'm not really sure on the tone of your reply and what you mean I am not serious about offers of help but I would rather inconvenience my husband than anyone else, so it isn't that I don't want your help I just don't want to put you out. So thanks for the offer I do appreciate it - so sorry if that wasn't clear.

Hi Hunter,

Is it possible to put his crate outside while you and your husband are away??

If you guys are going to be away for long periods of time each day, then it might be a good idea to get your pup used to staying outside (with or without his crate). He will need to get used to it eventually. When he cries outside, whatever you do, do NOT go and see him. (I know it's heartbreaking!) :cry: He will cry for maybe 5 minutes, 30 minutes or maybe an hour or more, but in the end he WILL eventually stop. Trust me! I had a very dependent girl but she got used to it. Once you go outside to comfort him, he will think that each time he cries you will be there. It's best to ignore him and praise him when he is no longer crying.

Good luck with it! I know it's very daunting at first, new place, surroundings etc. But with time he will be fine and so will you :rofl: