Training In Drive And The Show Ring

Seita

Tollersowned: I haven't actualy worried too much about training anything for the show ring yet -real slack of me! And as shes going a nice ugly stage at the moment I'm going to use this time to focus on training her.

Myszka: I was at K9's workshop in Gympie a few weeks ago and have since done the drive building stage and have just started adding focus so yep the sit is the first thing I've taught and I'm working on focus for that. I will be teaching her stand and that type of thing soon though so I thought I'd ask now before I start training her and decide what I want to do! Thanks for your reply and btw - I too use leaves as bait in the ring, the pup thinks their awesome!!!

:) re prey item, I had nothing on me, no toy, no food and she was hot, flat and not willing to cooperate so I picked up whatever was on the ground. :cool: Lucky it was a leaf :rofl:

When I first got the puppy I did the stand comand in pack drive so my pupp knew the word stand before it knew sit. I used to stack her run my hands all over her body and give her kisses so she understood stacking as part of petting. I used food to make her lean forward.

I would be worried slightly to teach the sit first to gain the focus, its not what you want for the ring. Obviously with time and training any body position can be used, but I sort of teach my dogs to sit and wait before anything so they do auto sits all the time, which can be a problem in the ring.

BTW Im not a very good handler, still learning.....

Hey Myszka I know exactly what you mean about a prey item - at Ellas first show I had nothing with me... there were NO leaves or anything so I had to pick some grass and lure her with that! She worked lovely for the peice of grass and took baby of breed for it!!! :) I also taught her stand first before anything else but that was before I started training in drive so now Im teaching sit for focus and stuff like that. As I am not planning on showing her till next year now I do have plenty of time to train the stack in drive before she gets shown again. She is very good on the stack at home with me and is used to standing but Judges in the show ring are always too exciting and they make those noises to try and get the pup to show expression where all the judge needs to do with this pup is look at her and shell bounce all over the place!!! Ill get her stacked up nicely in the ring and the judge will come within 3 feet of her and shes broken the stack is on her hind legs giving the judge a kiss!!! :rofl: This is why I was thinking drive might help me!!! :cool:

Ahhh... the fun of training dogs!!! And I also am not a very good handler, at least not with this TID stuff Im sooo uncoordinated! Just yesterday Ella managed to wrap the 15 ft leash around my legs and I was walking backwards trying to get out of the leash and not let her get the ball and somehow I trip over and landed quite ungracefully flat on my back - pup thought it was fantastic - couldnt decide if she should grab the ball while I didnt have it or lick my face!!! :mad ;)

Drive is going to work for Daegon in the ring...I took him to see the horses today at the Ag show...weeeellll, that brought it out big time. Waiting outside the ring he was quivering and raring to go in the ring, settled down well in there and showed the best he has ever done.

Sheep and horses make the dog work, probably cattle too seems Rottweilers were cattle dogs :thumbsup:

Hey, I wonder if we could work a 'touch stick' into the drive program for showring gaiting? Get the dog to focus on the end of the stick during the gait for drive reward??? Or would this destroy the focus on handler for the other drive work??

Drive is going to work for Daegon in the ring...I took him to see the horses today at the Ag show...weeeellll, that brought it out big time. Waiting outside the ring he was quivering and raring to go in the ring, settled down well in there and showed the best he has ever done.

:laugh::rofl: Shek that's excellent news!! I'm so happy for you that you've found a way to get the bugger to lift his game in the stack :rofl: Onwards and upwards!

I was at a show yesterday and for the group line up I had to drag the puppy half asleep out of her crate and she wasnt really willing.

I got the ball out played for a moment and she was woken up than ready for the ring, but if I did that before we went for breed judging she would just jump around kissing me and the judge most likely :laugh: or raiding peoples pockets in search of food or balls.

I have been told that she gaits really nice (I mean as has been trained to do it nicely, apart from the natural abilities)

Myszka: Sometimes I wish I had a half asleep puppy to drag to the ring - she might be calm enough to behave for once!!! :rofl: Regardless of how long shes been in the crate for, as soon as she comes out shes a livewire and ready to go!!! :rofl:

ROM: I'm not entirely sure how a touch stick works. If its what I think it is (its getting the dog to target the end of the stick right?), then I suppose it might work - teach the dog to target while in drive, build on that till you have gaiting and after some time you can probably remove the stick altogether, right? As long as you use a different command for this then why shouldn't it work? Other ppl with more TID experience please give feedback!!! :laugh:

Seita - puppys breeder wasnt happy when just before I went into the ring puppy jumped to give her a kiss and almost knocked her front teeth out........ I had a lesson in free stacking while focusing on the handler, that was pretty cool :laugh: We used pack drive and a bit of food drive.

And the judge was a big man with growling voice, wearing a hat - not a type of a person puppy likes......... but she was very good and did more than I asked for. :rofl:

Re gaiting. I think I will teach the dog two separate comands, one for the show ring one for obiedience heeling.

The show one is not close enough for the ob ring, might as well have a different command for it. Just thinking out loud.

Edited by myszka

Myszka: Yeh my puppy does similar things - she's a real expert at backflips while trying to get closer to whoever it is that she thinks is interesting!!! As for free stacking, I'm not up that yet! I've only just started showing and am still a very big newbie at it and with a phycho pup like this its going to take HEAPS of focus to get us ready to do free stacking!

As for gaiting, Ive started using the command showing for the show ring and for gaiting and will be using heel for heelwork in obedience... its just going to take some time get her to associate those words with the actions!