Soaking Kibble

SwaY

The reason why so many dogs develop bloat after eating soaked kibble is that they can scoff it very quickly, taking in too much air, which hastens the fermentation process - it is a heavy weight in the stomach, much more so than just dry, so any sudden activity can cause torsion. Once torsion has occurred and the food starts to ferment, gases build up distending the stomach, leading to shock and death.

A vet who is extremely knowledgeable on bloat (she saved a couple of mine) insists that susceptible breeds should never have access to more than a bare minimum of water after meals for this reason, after bloating, my 2 girls were fed charcoal tablets and not allowed water after meals for the rest of their lives.

This is like breast milk vs formula. :rainbowbridge:

Thank you very much GDgirl i have sent a PM back.

So confussed, why can it not be simple?

Hehe - if you want it "simple", get a "simple" breed :cry: It's people like us that have the "special" breeds that complicate things for ourselves!

This is like breast milk vs formula. :rainbowbridge:

Thank you very much GDgirl i have sent a PM back.

So confussed, why can it not be simple?

Hehe - if you want it "simple", get a "simple" breed :cry: It's people like us that have the "special" breeds that complicate things for ourselves!

A Dane is a simple breed, feeding is one of it's quirks.

As is a Poodle and it's grooming.

As is a Rotti and it's hips.

As is the pug with it's low birth results.

Each breed has something that is a thorn in it's side, so to speak.

How is it complicating it for ourself if we want the pro's and con's, so that i can make the best choice i can with the knowledge/research i have viewed or been provided with? :cry:

If it was so cut and dry there would be no question on which way to go. :(

A Dane is a simple breed, feeding is one of it's quirks.

As is a Poodle and it's grooming.

As is a Rotti and it's hips.

As is the pug with it's low birth results.

Each breed has something that is a thorn in it's side, so to speak.

How is it complicating it for ourself if we want the pro's and con's, so that i can make the best choice i can with the knowledge/research i have viewed or been provided with? :thumbsup:

If it was so cut and dry there would be no question on which way to go. :thumbsup:

Now see, I wouldn't classify a Dane as a simple breed - so much care has to be taken while it is growing to prevent skeletal problems, plus preventing bloat later. I would probably only classify a number of the medium and smaller size dogs as "simple" mainly in feeding and grooming concerns. I could be wrong, as I have never actually owned one, I have always gone for the higher maintenance breeds, thereby complicating things for myself. If I just had kelpies for instance, my only problem would be getting enough exercise for it!

There are often no black and white answers, so we have to use our own judgement - this is what I meant by complicating things. It is much simpler if there is just one standard set of rules for everyone. I wish!

There are often no black and white answers, so we have to use our own judgement - this is what I meant by complicating things. It is much simpler if there is just one standard set of rules for everyone. I wish!

And thats the part i have to work out. What IS right and wrong.

And yes would make it easier if there was one set of rules :thumbsup:

ill agree wth morgan, Danes are not simple breeds... but thn again they aint hard either.... as long as the right care and nutrition etc is taken all is right

Now if only there was a simple rule it would be great!!

The problem is, you can only go on what you know or what you gague to be the best. Unless you are told/read/find out other wise

I have now been set on the right path, and today we will be changing our routine with food etc to set ourselfs up for a lovley healthy Great Dane.