Trick Of The Week 14/3-21/3

whatevah

Shake Hands, High 5, High 10

Uses - for checking the dogs paws and clipping nails etc, can lead to more advanced tricks such as high five, targetting.

Doggy Dancing Movement

1. Get your dog to sit and kneel down in front of him (he is off lead)

2. Lift up his paw and give it a shake, and then reward the dog.

3. Introduce the command "Paw", or "Shake", "Give me some skin"

4. Start saying the command and see if the dog give his paw, if not keep practicing. Don't expect the dog to learn this in one session.

There is another method of having some food in your hand and waiting for the dog to paw at your hand, then click and treat, but I just used the above method because I think it is good for your dog to get used to you handling his paws.

Advanced

Once the dog knows this trick well, you can change the signal and raise your foot slightly, and say your command.

You can also before saying paw, tap the paw lightly that you want the dog to give. I would use my left hand to tap the dogs right paw and vica versa so he can give alternate paws.

You can also then stand at the side of your dog and as you raise your foot you get the dog to raise his paw and do alternate steps. (This is very advanced)

You can also teach your dog to do high five.

I taught my dog to cover his eye, by lightly blowing near his ear, and then clicking and treating straight away. Scroll down to the end of this thread for the photo, he looks like he is saluting.

I also had a problem of when my dog retrieved he would anticipate the give, he would run up to me and spit out the ball, so I taught him that he had to sit in front and then shake hands with the article still in his mouth.

Patta Cake

Teach the dog to give the paw to whatever hand is held in the air, start having your palm facing upwards as if you are doing a stop signal. Then add the clap in the middle.

High Ten

Once your dog knows patta cake well, then add both hands, at the same time. Make sure the dog is in stand position to start with.

Edited by DunnyBrush

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used the above method last week with lucy and was VERY successful, only had to help her lift her paw twice and she's been doing it ever since without food rewards... she's never been overly food orientated, my praise seems to be enough... even got her to do it with her other paw in the 2nd session... (she's one smart cookie except when it comes to knowing which dogs to be "afraid" of and "scare" away - oh and we had some probs with toilet training too)... think i will teach her to walk backwards next, that one sounded like fun!!!

I agree this is the best method I have used.

My dalmatian Chester would not shake with his right paw, I tried to click and shape any lift off the ground but found this slow and quite unsuccessful. Then this week I've changed and instead lift his paw gently, he does a "right" shake ok, well :rofl: with more practice I can see he will get it on cue in no time at all.

Sam.

Clicker and shaping is good, but for teaching shake hands can take quite a while.

I have a food motivated dog and a toy motivated dog. One dog I click and treat, and the other I click and throw toy.

With my toy motivated dog I told him that he had to shake hands before I threw his toy, I did this about three times. Now when he wants me to throw his toy he sits in front of me and keeps pawing at me until I throw his toy. He will also paw other people too. Better than barking though (I hate barking dogs).

So those of you with toy motivated dogs you can try doing this as well.

Brandy can shake! She's thrown herself into learning new things with an amazing amount of enthusiasm, shake just came together yesterday.

Daniel is a star at shaking, when we got him he did it pretty much constantly, but now he does it when asked and sometimes offers it rather than all the time, so I taught him to stand on his back legs instead this week.

With Brandy I held food in my right hand and bent down and picked up her right foot in my right hand and gave her the food while saying shake. After a few times she started lifting her paw slightly off the ground and I praised that and lifted it up, now she slams it into my hand *grin*

• 2 weeks later...

Another advanced move on "shake" is the "wave".

The way I taught mine to "wave" was: once "shake" is a reliable behaviour, instead of catching the paw I took my hand away quickly, raised it high and clicked their paws in the air before it would drop down to the ground again. I then took away the "shake" cue, of hand ready to catch, and used a finger-clap wave of my own as well as saying "wave".

BTW: Chester is giving his "right" paw on cue now, didn't take long.

Sam.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...