Dont Know What To Do?

Hi everyone!

I guess this topic has been done before and I am more than happy for anyone to point out a link to the thread for me if it answers my questions...

Neighbours barking dog! it is driving me insane! every morning at 5:45am it begins and doesnt stop. What is the best course of action if any (we are in Melb, AUS), I have looked up the web site for the council and they send out a 7 day barking diary.... Hubby wants to go over and have a friendly chat to the owners who we are on good terms with... but I really dont think that will do any good.. otherwise why havent they done anything about it....

I also feel sorry for this dog as it is locked in a cage all the time.... I have never ever seen it out of this cage for a walk or whatever, it is obviously barking for a reason and I think its cruel for this dog to spend is days as it does... so I am also annoyed and concerned about that....does anyone have any much needed advice....

I also didnt want hubby to talk to them b/c if I do the barking diary they will know it was us who have contacted the council and we have 3 dogs ourseleves... worried about repurcussions?!?! (but our dogs arent barkers!)

Thanks for listening....

If I was your neighbour I would be extremely upset if you did anything without coming and talking to me first, I may not know there is a problem or I may not know the extent of the problem or I may not be familiar with ways to help my dog stop annoying the neighbours.

In regards to being locked in a cage, you mean the dog is in a kennel run?

It is not a kennel run.......... its a cage.

I do not believe our neighbours dont know the dog is barking! it is very disruptive and loud. I agree they may not know what to do about it but the whole situation is a concern hence why I am asking for advice before we act!

To be fair to all you do have to approach your neighbour with your concerns. How would you feel if someone got council involved without giving you the opportunity to correct it. I have approached my neighbour previously and said a number of the neighbours are upset about the barking and I wanted to approach them directly. That way if you have to take it further it could be any neighbour. Plenty of options to stop the barking but the first one is find out why it is barking. If it is locked up by itself for long periods of time I would suggest it is bored and needs more exercise and better kennelling. Perhaps they want to rehome it

How big is the cage ? Can the dog go to the toilet in there (comfortably) ?

I would approach them but say other neighbours have been whinging about it and don't want to say anything so you wanted to let them know.

Like cowanbree said that way you aren't putting yourself in it if they don't act and you have to take it to council :thumbsup:

Also if that happens and you do take it to council be prepared to lie to their face and say "I have no idea who reported it, could have been anyone"

Is the dog only barking in the early morning or all day long ? Some dogs think we should all be up with the birds and the sunrise, maybe they could put his bed in the garage where the light and noise wont wake him so early ?

Let the council deal with it.

That's what they are there for.

When your friendly neighbour complains to you tell them to exercise the dog and then they can deal with the barking.

The answer to the barking is easy but it is part of a total change for the poor dog.

Counrty Joe.

To be fair to all you do have to approach your neighbour with your concerns. How would you feel if someone got council involved without giving you the opportunity to correct it. I have approached my neighbour previously and said a number of the neighbours are upset about the barking and I wanted to approach them directly. That way if you have to take it further it could be any neighbour. Plenty of options to stop the barking but the first one is find out why it is barking. If it is locked up by itself for long periods of time I would suggest it is bored and needs more exercise and better kennelling. Perhaps they want to rehome it

I agree totally, cowanbree. If you do the diary, council route it creates animosity as councils are often not very tactful in this area...basically saying theres a problem, solve it. They may let the owner see the diary to help pinpoint times and causation but by this time the owner would be cross that no one approached them. Often the diaries have sufficent tell tale info to point to the complainant anyway. Communication is the key and if you can discuss it in a mature and sensible manner, kudos to you. Use cowanbree's ploy that "several neighbors" are concerned it will give you an out if you have to go to council.

IMHO, running to council first shows a lack of intestional fortitude, but that's just me. :laugh:

Let the council deal with it.

That's what they are there for.

When your friendly neighbour complains to you tell them to exercise the dog and then they can deal with the barking.

The answer to the barking is easy but it is part of a total change for the poor dog.

Counrty Joe.

That's not fair, how would you feel if someone went straight to the council first without talking to you?

A morning walk won't cure the barking, it will help.

Edited by sas

Counrty Joe.

Maybe they have a dog like mine that I am at my wits end with. I can't seem to stop Coda "barking" early in the morning when he thinks he is playing with the dog next door. "yip yip yip"

If I have him inside I get no sleep. If I have him outside he carries on early in the morning, and disturbs the neighbours. Right now I am so tired that he is sleeping out. :laugh:

My husband went over to see the lady today, she said that they had been called by the Ranger already with a complaint from their next door neighbour. She said its their son's dog and they didnt really want to keep the dog there for whatever reasons but b/c the son asked. She said she had noticed the barking increasing over the last few weeks and found out that it is b/c the birds in the tree are eating his food in the cage.... at least we know why it is barking now so we can fix it. The mother actually said that the dog doesnt get much human attention, never gets walked b/c he is getting old {{{she said the dog is 7 - yeah real old}}}, my husband asked if the dog was friendly and he would be happy to try and at least take it for a couple of walks a week... she declined the offer.

She said they will put more mesh up to stop the birds etc, or she will bring him inside for those hours if it continues...

The cage is not a run, but looks like he can stand up at least, have no idea if it can go to the toilet in there, it is sort of raised on a table... I know there's not much else we can do, but why do people who get pets treat them like that??.... makes me mad!!!!! :laugh::)

Thanks for your responses everyone......

We had the same issue with the dog next door- barking non-stop from 5am every morning.

The dog is actually a very good natured dog, not neglected, and we like the neighbours, so whenever we ran into them, we would mention it. Turns out the main bedroom is right at the front of the house, while ours is at the back of the house- right next to the barking dog! They didn't even know about the issue, and were good about it when we mentioned it. When they started putting the dog out again at night, and it continued to bark, I would go outside and yell at it to shut up- the neighbours soon got the message. But it still happened sometimes. It has only stopped since they got another dog, but I was getting prepared to start a fight.

I would approach the neighbours directly- believe me, I understand how frustrating a barking dog can be, but approaching the council may not be such a good idea.

The locked up in a cage thing is a whole other issue- perhaps someone else can offer some advice with this- In my experience, the council or RSPCA couldn't care less about some animals - as long as it's receiving food and water, they seem to think there is nothing wrong, when we might find a situation really upsetting.

My god, this reminds me of my stupid neighbour.

She's been looking after her brother's dog for months now. I'm 99% certain he's a kelpie x bullterrier and he's in a small backgarden with not a lot of cover. I don't think she walks him enough although she swears he gets a walk everyday. He's always tied to a tree because otherwise he'll dissapear over the fence (what a surprise!)

Every night she'd leave she'd leave for work at 11pm and the dog would bark constantly from then on until I practically passed out from exhaustion around 2am. I'd then have to get up at 5:45am to get to work by 7am. After the first week I yelled over the fence (when she was home) at 1am that it had to stop, then asked her again after 3 weeks. I even offered to walk him in the arvo when I get home from work but she declined.

I didn't want to turn to the council, but after 2 MONTHS of her continuing to do nothing I finally filled out a diary the ranger made it stop overnight :thumbsup: He was a lovely bloke who made me feel a lot better (although still sleep deprived) and whatever he said to her worked alright because I've barely heard a peep since.

I'm not on the best of terms with my neighbour because of all of this, but she did mention something about containing him in the house when she was out and playing music which soothes him a lot. I don't think she takes the best of care of him, but he's always fed and has fresh water so I guess it could be worse.

Well it has been one week since my husband nicely spoke to our neighbours, there has only been 1 day out of the whole week that the dog has not barked... it is still continuing... I have decided to fill out the Barking diary the council has sent us. It is getting beyond a joke.

My husband was chatting to their next door neighbour on Monday and he said that he is incredibly annoyed aswell and was glad that he wasnt the only one, plus he is a shift worker...

I dont want to judge but what the hell is wrong with these people?? they obviously just do not care!

The man was outside working on his car last night and I was thinking........... well maybe he should be working on fixing the problem with the dog!! you know fix the cage so the birds cant get his food, maybe take the dog for a walk.... :thumbsup:

That thought has definently crossed my mind lilysmum! We have never seen the dog been taken out for a walk.... my husband offered to take the dog out a few times a week but the woman said that he was getting old now - it is 7 years old!! so he couldnt convince her to do that... we never even hear any interaction with it from them. Its just not right.

I know the dog has food, shelter and water so I am guessing that RSPCA wouldnt do too much?? not sure. But I feel so sorry for this dog... and in the meantime he is driving us crazy altho its not really his fault!

How big is the cage? Can the dog stand up, turn around and lie down but not much else? Is the cage under permanent cover? How many times a day is the dog permitted out of the cage? How much exercise does the dog receive? How often does the dog have playtime with the family?

If the cage is only large enough for the dog to stand up, turn around and lie down, then it's not big enough to 'house' the dog on a permanent basis but could be used temporarily or for short time periods only - say if there are people working in the yard and the cage is used to prevent them letting the dog out by mistake. If it's being used in a permanent capacity, this is considered cruelty.

If the cage isn't under a solid roof, then that means the dog is exposed to the elements and has no escape from burning sun or freezing conditions - again this would be considered as cruelty and insufficient housing for the dog.

If the dog is rarely or never permitted out of the cage, this is considered neglect and may also pass for cruelty. The same goes for periods of exercise b/c every dog is entitled to periods out of its confined space regardless of how or where it is housed. Even boarding kennels in most parts of Australia are required by law to exercise their guests for certain time periods and at certain intervals during the stay.

If you think the dog is being neglected or cruelly treated, please report it. The dog deserves to be rescued if the people can't adequately care for it.